The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Our Shield Breaker Arrows Will Blot Out The Sun!

• ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ToRelax

"A good player with shieldbreaker has a massive advantage fighting a magicka Sorcerer or any other build using shields."

This is obviously true. But that good player also has to make sacrifices for that advantage, do they not? Upon equipping that 5 piece, the player is suddenly at a disadvantage against anyone NOT using a shield (I love fighting shieldbreaker sets as I don't use that type of defense in my build).

I don't think this set is an "I win" button so much. It is more a counter to one type of defense. The player who chooses to counter shields must then deal with the consequences (fighting every other player without a 5 piece bonus at all).

Now perhaps the damage needs to be reduces a little bit. Or put on a 2-3 second cooldown? Or given a damage buff and put on a x% chance on ability cast or something.

I DO like the attempt to force Mag Sorcs to supplement their defenses with something besides shield spam, if that's what shieldbreaker was intended to do. I've had to adjust my playstyle A LOT with the dodge roll and speed nerfs, I'm excited to see how other classes and builds will deal.

The sacrifice is one 5 pc bonus at most (for another). Likely even less considering both set bonuses and traits on this set are very good for any stamina build in pvp. It is more than worth it considering the amount of shields that exist and are being used.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    @ToRelax

"A good player with shieldbreaker has a massive advantage fighting a magicka Sorcerer or any other build using shields."

This is obviously true. But that good player also has to make sacrifices for that advantage, do they not? Upon equipping that 5 piece, the player is suddenly at a disadvantage against anyone NOT using a shield (I love fighting shieldbreaker sets as I don't use that type of defense in my build).

I don't think this set is an "I win" button so much. It is more a counter to one type of defense. The player who chooses to counter shields must then deal with the consequences (fighting every other player without a 5 piece bonus at all).

Now perhaps the damage needs to be reduces a little bit. Or put on a 2-3 second cooldown? Or given a damage buff and put on a x% chance on ability cast or something.

I DO like the attempt to force Mag Sorcs to supplement their defenses with something besides shield spam, if that's what shieldbreaker was intended to do. I've had to adjust my playstyle A LOT with the dodge roll and speed nerfs, I'm excited to see how other classes and builds will deal.

The sacrifice is one 5 pc bonus at most (for another). Likely even less considering both set bonuses and traits on this set are very good for any stamina build in pvp. It is more than worth it considering the amount of shields that exist and are being used.

I don't want to overly downplay the value of a good 5 piece bonus. For example, I'd have an advantage over someone using shield breaker. And that's exactly what shield breaker should be against (for example) a shield spamming Sorc-- an advantage. No one wants an insta-win. I think 2k pure damage per auto attack is a bit too much. If I do 10 auto-attacks in...what, like 6 or 7 seconds that's 20k damage for spamming light attacks.

"Now perhaps the damage needs to be reduces a little bit. Or put on a 2-3 second cooldown? Or given a damage buff and put on a x% chance on ability cast or something."
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its far more than an advantage. I had a Shield Breaker Bow DK chasing me around a district a few minutes ago. 6k damage in 4 seconds. Unresistable. He never killed me but I had to run away.

Sure I could turn around and put some pressure for a few seconds. But thats all I could do. Then its right back to running in a circle as hes spamming ONE BUTTON.

Its really cheesy, and really stupid. Fix the imbalance, dont create MORE.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »

That's not balance, that's vindictive hatred] and clearly shows he is out of touch and needs to be taken off as lead combat designer.
    I would definitely pay 50 crowns for that. :)

Edited by PBpsy on September 13, 2015 12:20PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Stigant wrote: »
    Mayebe its about the right time for the magical caster sorcerers to start coming to cyrodil with more than 15k HP, relying on their insane "all-out-magicka pool" for defense AND offense at the same time. Every other class and their respective Samina/Magicka builds actually use the other pool as well as some reasonable amount of HP.

My favourite sorc reasonings for nerfing/removing shied breaker set:

"4 (5,6,..) Light attacks killed me" - well, come to do some PvP with more that 14-16k HP, and move while when being attacked, dont stand and wait for yet another attack coming, you know we all have to do that. You play THE CLASS with the best mobility abilities in game.

"Shields are ONLY sorc's defense" - really? you can't roll or block? how so? I can do that on my magicka NB, and maybe invest a little in other stats than going nearly 50k magic

"Sorc doesn't have class heal, we have to rely on healing ward" - last time I checked my one year unplayed sorc he had a skill called Dark Exchange that trades stamina for HP and Magicka and self heal via critical hits with Surge on.

The set is fine. Good players will adapt ... "Best defense is a good offense" is very valid in case of sorcerer class more than enywhere else.

The set is fine.

Most Sorcs have 19k-23k hp, sorry, most players.

Of course a good player utilizes block and dodge, but those can not be used a lot anymore after the nerf. Maybe you forgot you also had Cloak on your NB.

Dark Exchange is a joke as a heal, and at best capable of healing a fraction of the damage done by shieldbreaker. Surge requires to stay on the offense, wich makes you unable to use other healing spells thus won't save you either.

Of course good players will adapt, but that doesn't mean the game is balanced at all. A good player with shieldbreaker has a massive advantage fighting a magicka Sorcerer or any other build using shields. And most magicka builds use shields, with the Sorcs not even having an alternative.

So no - the set is not balanced at all currently. Curious wether you'll actually try to dispute my arguments...

1. I might have exaggerated those numbers a bit to much to make a point, my bad.

2. I'm currently playing a Stamina Templar in Heavy Armor with 2H and Bow, which taught me a lot about rolldodging and blocking "at the right moment" not waste my stamina and really mediocre stamina regen ticks so I consider my argument about those defenses still valid. Plus magicka build made a choice to have those pools smaller therefore not to be able to utilize those defenses that much. I belive learning to use them more efficiently will increase combat performance of that build quite a lot.
    Yes, I do have a cloak on my NB I haven't forgot, what I did forget thought is that Sorcs heal themselves while hitting with ANY dark magic ability as well ... therefore every proced CF as well as with curse gives them some HP back.
    Well used ofensive Streak also helps to avoid getting hit. Which is even a little better ability because its offensive and escape utility.

3. Shield breaker is very niche set which comes with its tradeoffs. especially 5th setbonus.

4. I respect your argumenst as ones from your point of wiew, as someone not benefiting or struggling from existence of this set, I'm simply trying to show a different angle to look from.

Overall I still belive and see often in action that magicka speced Sorcs are at their best while being offensive.

Edited by Stigant on September 13, 2015 1:02PM
  • Kh0ll
    Kh0ll
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have not chosen the game design of our class.
    It was not long ago it was quite effective to put all the attributes of health points.
    We had a sizeable pool of effective shields without being amazing.
    This is ZeniMax who made those changes, not the players.
    If we walk with 0 points and 64 healthy magicka it is because this is the only alternative we have.
    64 Health, 0 magicka is unsustainable.
    This is not a choice on our part the full magicka the contrary, no one has the choice ....
    I have the impression you want to charge for something that is imposed on us.
    Zenimax does not know what to do with the PvP part of the game, probably through incompetence ... that set it clearly proves.

sorry it's not my native language.
    Edited by Kh0ll on September 13, 2015 5:38PM
    Un mauvais sorcier...il voit un truc qui bouge...il tp
    Un bon sorcier...il voit un truc qui bouge...bah il tp aussi...
    Mais c'est pas pareil, c'est un bon sorcier

"Ca Passe Large" DC
    "CPL" EP
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a list of abilities/armour buffs this set works on. I've been killed 3 times with it now and I don't use shields, not the magical kind anyway. I'm guessing it includes physical shields also?

I'm glad they're keeping the set in the game and with no nerf but I'd like to know which skill to ditch. Just hope it's not my Channeled Focus :(

Also does anyone know what happens when you hit Blazing Shield? Does it return unresistable damage back?

Like you, my shield spamming DK does not understand why its ONLY SORCS who are complaining about this armor. Does it not affect our shields?

Plus, all I am seeing is the Pheonix set. Entire guilds running with a broken rez armor that rezes them 10 times in 2 minutes.
    Edited by Darlgon on September 13, 2015 1:46PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kh0ll wrote: »
    We have not chosen the game design of our class.
    It was not long ago it was quite effective to put all the attributes of health points.
    We had a sizeable pool of effective shields without being amazing.
    This is ZeniMax who made those changes, not the players.
    If we walk with 0 points and 64 healthy magicka it is because this is the only alternative we have.
    64 Health, 0 magicka is unsustainable.
    This is not a choice on our part the full magicka the contrary, no one has the choice ....
    I have the impression you want to charge for something that is imposed on us.
    Zenimax does not know what to do with the PvP part of the game, probably through incompetence ... that set it clearly proves.

sorry it's not my native lague

I have been playing lots of different MMO's for over a decade now. Dark Age of Camelot, GuildWars 1, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Star Wars ... just to mention a few. MMO's change, balance change, thats how it is, noone is forcing you to play what you dont want to play or play how you dont want to play ... If you didn't want to play that way, you wouldn't be here to "defend" your playstyle which now has a new counter to it. Therefore IT IS YOUR CHOICE you have made after changes have been made. Dont blame it on anyone else...
    Edited by Stigant on September 13, 2015 4:33PM
  • Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭

Neither is mine :smile:
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stigant wrote: »

Neither is mine :smile:

lague is is native to Cyrodill but sometimes this pest can migrate to other regions where it can can wreak havoc to the local ecosystem.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one seems to want to objectively discuss this tho.

It's one side raging about how it's an "I win" button and the other side smugly giggling over their plight. "Our shield breaker arrows will blot out the sun!!!" (<-- Hilarious btw) xD

Everyone keeps saying that Sorcs have no other options besides shield spam for defense in PVP. That ZOS forces the shields on Sorcs as their only viable option. I honestly think that Shield breaker, in one form or another, should be a part of this game for that very reason. The shield spam is strong. They need a counter besides, usually pointlessly, trying to DPS through the endless reapplication.

Truth is, Zeni put the set in game. I would GREATLY prefer that instead of this set existing, Sorcs have another more balanced way to defend themselves. But as we all keep pointing out, they really don't (barring the obvious block/dodge/position/flee). And I highly, highly doubt Zeni will just up and take it out....

The point I'm trying to make, is that we should be pushing for Zeni to CHANGE the set. There are a plethora of simple ways to change it to where the set gives a much needed advantage (this being the key word) over the shield spam.