Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

qustion of a new player

shadowmod
shadowmod
so iv been watching abit of youtube stuff is ice even useable and any gen tips for me just starting and do i need to ultra plan out what i want to do befor i start
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are a min/Maxer YES,

However I just enjoy the game and normally after the first 10 chars you create and delete,
    You kind of get an idea as to what you wanna try,
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• qpviper1qp
    qpviper1qp
    ✭✭
    Ice staves can be useful although in general i prefer flame. There are certain enemies/bosses that have a weakness to that. I wouldn't worry to much about how you do your build since you can always reallocate skills and attributes later on for a price. I would be careful with a hybrid character as you progress though. I prefer to balance between magic/health or stamina/health. You can always buff the other stat with armor, jewelry, and/or food/drinks. From 1-50 though, just have fun with it. If you are having trouble doing damage towards the upper levels just look at your stats and remember that certain skills base off of magika and certain skills base off of stamina. Hence the more stamina/magika you have, the more damage you will do.
  • snowbeard62
    A general tip 4 u. Join a good guild and hopefully someone there can mentor you through the early game. I personally try and help my new guildies where I can and provide a few heavy armour sets where I can.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    The only choices in game that aren't currently reversible are class, race, and alliance...so in my opinion, no you do not need to plan every aspect of your build out before you start playing.

If you are someone who must be the absolute best at everything and squeeze ever possible bonus out of your character, you may want to spend some time researching your choice of race/racial passives before you create your character, but other than that I wouldn't stress over things too much (especially, if this is your first MMO experience).
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on September 9, 2015 4:34PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice Shock and Fire all Destro Staffs. You will find them as you go along. Just swap out the weapons and try each one and see if you like it or not. Each one has a different Heavy and Light Attack and these attacks may or may not mesh with how you play. For example, the Lightening Heavy Attack is a Channel that instantly casts but takes time, where the Fire is an attack you charge up then release, don't know how Ice does that.

Some skills act differently depending on the type of staff you use to. Like Fire causes Knock Back, but Ice freezes them in place.

Anyway, try different staffs you find as loot as you go along and you will find one you like to use.

At some point you will want to add a Glyph to your weapons to increase damage, these can be the same as the base weapon effect or different. Again, try different ones as you can replace the glyphs and see which one you like.

As for having to plan your build, not really, see the following:

Until you get to End Game Trials, and to some extent, PvP, you can pretty much make any build successful. There are lots of builds that work in PvP, there are few that just won't do well. Some will be more challenging, some will be an easy button, but your playstyle has as much to do with that as your skill choices. Also, while leveling, the goal is not to get to VR ranks as fast as possible, but to get to VR Ranks with a character that can do many things. So, try different weapon types, and try to get them to L40 at least before VR Ranks if you can. Also, wear a mix of armors so that you level each one up. This way you can change builds end game with just a respec and not have to grind out skills or just grind a little on the skills as you try different things.
    Edited by Nestor on September 9, 2015 6:37PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• velon1
    velon1
    Soul Shriven
    Pomocy ,własnie sie dowiedziałem ze jest darmowa tylko nie mogę tego ogarnać bo gra wymaga zbym zrobił płatnosć o co biega ????
  • shadowmod
    shadowmod
    cool think im going to start as templar or dragon knight
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an ICE master staff... It's awesome at locking escaping enemies down:
    1. teleport strike to close gap
    2. Destrcutive clench with ice staff to lock em in place
    3. profit!

let em burn up their little stamina breaking our of clench or dodge rolling, I can keep this up all day.

Other than that, meh on the ice staff.
  • shadowmod
    shadowmod
    can you only use the what appers to be pvp power tree's in pvp or can you use them anywere
  • shadowmod
    shadowmod
    also non of this ever asked me to pick a user name can i change it
  • ZheinLevin
    ZheinLevin
    ✭✭
    can you only use the what appers to be pvp power tree's in pvp or can you use them anywere

You can use them anywhere. Most passives from those PVP skill trees only work in PVP areas though.
    also non of this ever asked me to pick a user name can i change it

Probably not. Try contacting support.

NA Ebonheart Pact
    Cuddles the Tyrant - VR16 Orc Dragon Knight | Little Whirlwind - VR16 High Elf Sorcerer
    Boogie Wonderland - VR6 Redguard Templar | Flabby Tabby - Noob Khajiit Nightblade