Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Songs of Sovngarde, tips please.

kirrasha
kirrasha
✭✭
Well, after 7 deaths, and nowhere near close to winning, I'm giving up.

I'm level 37 DK, using 2H and Shield/sword.
I cannot for the life of me defeat this sucker. Barely get his health to half.

I try block his knockback as much as possible, but when the 2 ghost appear, everything just gets worse.

While I'm killing thoose, or trying to, he always gets the hits in to kill me.

What am I doing wrong? Are there some special mechanic to it? Or do I just need to grind treasure chests/cave bosses until lv 38 or higher?

Update: Well, just defeated him... With a TON of blocking. Managed to block all but 2 attacks... I then used Dark Talons to hold him, to give my healing potions time to recover.
Got a block in while dealing with the 2 ghosts, so I had a bit time to finish them, and then focus on boss again.
Edited by kirrasha on April 5, 2014 9:36PM
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put Dragon blood on your hot bar, even if it's on the secondary one. That will help you out a lot.

Searing strike with the heal morph will help out a lot too. ...Also with the battle roar passive from earthen heart you can heal yourself by using an ultimate as well.
    Edited by Armitas on April 7, 2014 6:41PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • kirrasha
    kirrasha
    ✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    Put Dragon blood on your hot bar, even if it's on the secondary one. That will help you out a lot.

Searing strike with the heal morph will help out a lot too. ...Also with the battle roar passive from earthen heart you can heal yourself by using an ultimate as well.

Yep, that would have made it a whole lot easier... I did not have Dragon blood at the time... I do now thu, many levels later lol...

• Hawkstorm
    Hawkstorm
    I am very much a noob bro, lvl 6 mage, but I have found the best way to defeat these suckers is to get other players to help you. Works every time.
  • Nighkomoro
    lol there is no way.... if you beat him, its sheer luck.... he is OP as heck and is up to date, the most difficult boss Ive fought... He needs a tone down, not by a lot but enough to make him beatable :expressionless: ... maybe removing the spirits or at least 1 of em... that or adding allies to assist you. :persevere: But yet I continue to try and lose thousands of coins on repairs :(
  • Pettur
    Pettur
    Spirits? This might explain what is wrong for me.. Having to fight two spirit and be able to kill him seems much better than no spirits spawning at all and the boss being immune to damage. -_-
  • rioxme
    rioxme
    ME TOO.
    After i defeat Spirits, health of boss never diminish even if i beat him.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kirrasha wrote: »
    Update: Well, just defeated him... With a TON of blocking. Managed to block all but 2 attacks... I then used Dark Talons to hold him, to give my healing potions time to recover.
    Got a block in while dealing with the 2 ghosts, so I had a bit time to finish them, and then focus on boss again.

How?
    I got him to spawn the spirits, dealt with them and he just remains immune to damage. Not a chance to cause even a single point of damage afterwards. Am I missing something there or is he bugged?
    He's also yet another boss that is way easier to defeat with ranged than melee.

Update:

Seems it was a bug. I got him now with one spirit remaining.
    Edited by Kendaric on April 17, 2014 3:59PM
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • thilog
      thilog
      ✭✭✭
      Kinda glad I'm not the only one.. seems you're db or dks tho.. I'm templar, I run out of mana and stam then die. I can block his uppercut, it's the lightning that gets me. He just spams it and you're just gradually worn down and there's absolutely nothing you can do to block it. Like plaguebringer.. I'll be abandoning this quest as well.
    • kirrasha
      kirrasha
      ✭✭
      thilog wrote: »
      Kinda glad I'm not the only one.. seems you're db or dks tho.. I'm templar, I run out of mana and stam then die. I can block his uppercut, it's the lightning that gets me. He just spams it and you're just gradually worn down and there's absolutely nothing you can do to block it. Like plaguebringer.. I'll be abandoning this quest as well.

This is exactly what got me the first many times I attempted it, the damn lightning.
      After I respecced, and started spamming Talons whenever I could to buy myself time, it went much smoother.
      But only really cause I was lucky to get a block in on his uppercut, so I could deal with the ghost completely while he was stunned.

Does the piercing spear knockback wich Templars can spec into, work on this boss?
      That might be able to buy some time when lightning is up.
    • VycDarkshadow
      VycDarkshadow
      ✭✭✭
      I'm noticing the same problem, except i'm a Healing Light Templar, level 34. With a lot of blocking, Blood Craze, and healing, i can get him to halfway. However, the second the two spirits start healing him, i immediately get knocked into the air, (even while blocking, losing all but a little bit of health), frozen in ice where i land, and immediately die. Every time.

Edit: I did eventually beat him. Tried deleting this post, but the forums wouldn't let me.
      Edited by VycDarkshadow on May 3, 2014 6:44AM
      Vyc Ðarkshådøw
    • tinax37
      tinax37
      Soul Shriven
      I've just submitted more feedback regarding the difficulty level of these main storyline bosses. I know its not me cos I can easily handle mobs that are 3 to 4 levels higher than me but when it comes to these main bosses I'm not able to take them on & kill em until I'm at least 3 to 4 levels higher then them! That can't be right! I'm a level 38 nightblade with good gear & blue weps and I'm not even hardly scratching this boss (didn't even know there were adds) let alone tackle anything more than him, lol!
    • Lachesis
      Lachesis
      I just killed this guy as a dual wield NB with almost zero kiting ability. It took me about 11 tries. He is way too over-tuned. I was level 40 and many of the quests in the zone were grey to me at the time. Your only comfort is that his attacks happen in the same exact fashion every time so you can predict when you can get away from him. He is particularly nasty for NBs since his armor is through the roof.
    • VycDarkshadow
      VycDarkshadow
      ✭✭✭
      Update: Picked up HIdden Blade, a 40% Snare ranged attack, and beat him by exclusively walking around in circles in the first area and using that skill. When he calls for the ghosts to help, i got out of that area, went up the stairs, and circled the pillar near the Watcher, throwing Hidden Blade each time i got out in the open. Be careful; if you fall off the edge, HE WILL RESET!
      Vyc Ðarkshådøw
    • fried_funk
      I did it, as a 37 NB, after 3-4 tries with this strategy: stayed ranged all the time, using snare (I had Trapping Webs slotted but I guess any other snare skill works, the longer the snare, the better) and Mark Target to speed the thing up. When spirits spawned, killed them asap (first the one who heals him then the other which does ranged damage). Had to use sprint a lot to not let him get near, the key to all was not letting him near as much as possible..A nasty one, but not as nasty as the first boss in the fighter's guild questline (at least for me..)
    • Robocles
      Robocles
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Equip a ranged weapon... use any snare you have... and kill the ghosts when they start to heal him.

The encounter is stupidly cheesy... absurdly hard for melee, absurdly easy for ranged.
    • elvigy01
      elvigy01
      ✭✭
      Yeah, this is actually the first boss I have not been able to kill on the first try. Doshia? Killed her. Lyris Doppleganger? Faceplanted her first time (took about 10 minutes though, lol).

This guy is just roflstomping me though. I swear I think he actually squatted over my corpse and laughed at me one time.

I finally quit trying in fear I would break my monitor. Maybe another time.
      Edited by elvigy01 on April 28, 2014 4:29PM
    • Weberda
      Weberda
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I did it last night with a level 36 DK and it was much easier than I expected after getting creamed a level before. This time I used a bow and the paralyze spell. He never got a hit on me.
      Edited by Weberda on April 29, 2014 10:41AM
      Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
      Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
    • malariawest
      malariawest
      Soul Shriven
      OMG, he was ridiculous with the one shots. I learned quickly that he was quite capable of killing me instantly if I didn't get away. I was sure I would need to come back levels ahead to get him, but decided to see if I really needed to switch skills to make a difference or if it was futile no matter what.
      As a level 37 NB, I had to switch up some skills. I wasn't even seeing a dent in his health the first 5 attempts. I grabbed every snaring skill I had and only used my bow.
      I had been leveling up Arrow Spray and taken off Scatter Shot as it was leveled up. I may never go back now. Scatter Shot was the KEY! Without that awesome knock back and disorient, I would have been toast. Not to mention it became an incredibly EASY fight that time. First try with the Scatter Shot slotted, I pushed him around, stayed away, and was able to take the ghosts out in seconds while pushing him away. Threw on Marked Target to speed it up.
      NIGHT AND DAY with the stuns/push-backs/disorients/snares and ranged vs any melee and none of the above.
    • cryhavocm
      cryhavocm
      Soul Shriven
      Kiting this guy works. When he summons the spirits, just keep moving and take shots at them until they're down and he's vulnerable again. Using pillars for speed-bumping him works too. Be creative. I started by sniping him and laying down paths of fire arrows he ran right into, then led him on the merry chase to his doom.
    • otaku_no_bfm
      otaku_no_bfm
      Soul Shriven
      Yeah, with a bow and Scatter Shot this guy is easy. I thought he had teset I killed him so fast.

Thanks all!