Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why would someone use two destro staffs for weapon swap

IdesofMarch2
IdesofMarch2
✭✭
I have read about this and am curious what the advantages are. I am a lv 34 altmer dk and am trying to put together a build for myself but I'm still learning. I currently use dw for my second bar and destro on my first bar. I would like to build a firemage type.
Runs with the A.D.
Xbox One
PC N/A
Magicka Sorc
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's really no need for two destro staves. You have a limit number of abilities in the destruction skill tree, so it'd just be a waste.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you are building a single-target bar, and an AoE bar, I could see doing this.

1 bar for things like Force Pulse and other ST abilities

1 bar for Impulse and other AoEs or buffs.
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    Yes Aett!!!! That's what I was just reading about. And I never thought of that before. Seems like a good idea. I just have to figure out which skills are single and aoe lol
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    Well, if you are building a single-target bar, and an AoE bar, I could see doing this.

That is your answer right there.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS is what we were using up until last week
    Alucardo wrote: »
    There's really no need for two destro staves. You have a limit number of abilities in the destruction skill tree, so it'd just be a waste.
    I disagree for many reasons.

Edited by Cuyler on September 4, 2015 8:29PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    Cool boys thank you. I think I know how to proceed. How was it working for you Cuyler
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool boys thank you. I think I know how to proceed. How was it working for you Cuyler
    The build still pulls decent numbers now and may be special once the v16 stuff is acquired, we'll see. Although it doesn't look to keep up with the overload sorcs yet.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    Yeah prob not sorcs. I'm gonna give it a try. Just have to respec my attributes. Maybe my skills as well.
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is exactly why my magicka DPS setup uses 2 destro staves. I could also imagine that someone might want to use a different type of destro staff on each bar to get different elemental effects.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »

This is exactly why my magicka DPS setup uses 2 destro staves. I could also imagine that someone might want to use a different type of destro staff on each bar to get different elemental effects.

This

I myself have been contemplating using two different types of destroy staves when soloing now that they fire staff isn't quite as powerful as it use to be (I currently use a resto staff as my second weapon, but as a Templar, I don't need it for heals). Has anyone tried going fire on one bar and lightening on the other. I love the extra damage the fire staff does, but I'm missing the stun from destructive clench. The loss doesn't affect me for group content (I play a healer and use a totally different build when in groups), but I did like that ability for soloing.

• k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that some NPCs are weak against lighting and others (almost all) are weak against fire -- one could carry one of each type for the type of NPCs that are facing.
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    I just tried it out. Works pretty well. I just have to figure which skills to put in the bar. I'm using two fire staffs but may use restoration and fire or shock.
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »

My caster sorc runs a frost and shock staff in pvp. The shock staff is for disintegrate and now that the heavy attack hits 6 targets with the aoe I can get a decent number of procs, and frost staffs snares and ranged root are great at burning stamina with how the game changed.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bb2a3d2223bb6711dddbf4eb3b736da7.jpg
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Yes, and another 15 class skills to fill up the 10 skills on the weapon-swap bar. (Not counting all the other lines)
    Edited by Darlgon on September 5, 2015 12:16AM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE I run Destro on my main bar for single target DPS, and on my secondary I run dual swords for executes and general AoE.
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    That's what I was running SCY. I just figured in pvp it wouldn't work well.
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I was running SCY. I just figured in pvp it wouldn't work well.

Well to be honest, the passives alone alter how each element staff works, let alone how the Reach and Wall spells alter between the elements. I would just say each fits different roles and if you're trying to work with those different roles then using two destruction staves isn't a bad idea.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have read about this and am curious what the advantages are.
    The reason why I do it comes down to having to types of skill attacks but using the inferno staff.

One skill tree uses three lightning skills while the other uses dark magic. Both have daedric summoning (so I don't lose my pets when I swap).

I'll throw down lightning spells for the DoT attacks then swap over for the more contact damage (crystal shards, clench).

I see no reason to use any other type of weapon. In fact, I'm trying to get this down to a point I don't use my staff at all and play strictly magic. This will take a little time as I need to level up all my skills.