Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fishing Bait [X1 EU]

TheDoo87
TheDoo87
Hey,

I just hit VR and to take some time out I decided to grab me some of the fishing achievements around Ebonheart Part areas. After about 2 hours solid fishing I managed to go through about 300 of my bait. I ran out fast!
Does anyone have any tips for accumulating bait? Or know any guild shops that might stock it? Or anyone with no interest in the achievement feeling charitable?
I find insect parts the hardest to obtain quickly.
Crafty Traders Guild Leader - http://craftytraders.shivtr.com/

Ebonheart Pact - TheDoo87
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every butterfly or torch bug you pass is possible insect parts - grab every bug you see!

If you have a character that is able to go to Rivenspire (DC) that is by FAR the best place. Seriously, I don't even think they need torches there because there are so many torch bugs!

As for going through bait - you do know to use the right bait for the water type right? Insect parts = rivers. Just making sure :)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Insect parts are definitely the easiest type of bait to get. As MissBizz said, just pick up all those insects you see as you run from place to place.

Frogs, rats, and lizards are a good source of guts. They aren't as easy to get as insect parts, but still doable.

Spiders and harvesting plants (both for clothing and for alchemy) give you crawlers.

Worms (which I find the most difficult to get) can be obtained from harvesting plants or from killing zombies (though my rng with both sources is sadly very low lol).

Most guild stores (especially in the prime locations) should sell bait, but the prices have gone up now that people need to use fishing to get perfect roe.
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also find worms the hardest to get, and don't have a reliable source for them.

Insect parts= grab every butterfly, torchbug, or fleshflies you see

One tip on guts. Deltias Gaming Youtube channel has a guide for leveling the Ledgermain skill line. On Khenarthi's Roost in the central part of the map there are a TON of sheep. One shot each of the two NPCs to avoid a bounty, then kill and loot all the sheep, and you will get alot of guts. You can easily get 30-50 in one run. Go launder them and you'll level up the skill line and also have some lake bait.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • TheDoo87
    TheDoo87
    I read its better to fish with people? supposedly I wont go through so much bait.
    Crafty Traders Guild Leader - http://craftytraders.shivtr.com/

Ebonheart Pact - TheDoo87
  • qpviper1qp
    qpviper1qp
    ✭✭
    I am not sure what is is called again. I believe it is like north point or something like that in rivenspire. It is way up north by the ocean. As soon as you spawn there are a ton of butterflies. Also, shadowfen has lots of torchbugs and frogs.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    TheDoo87 wrote: »
    I read its better to fish with people? supposedly I wont go through so much bait.

The chance of catching rare fish (the green and blue fish needed for the fishing achievements) increase when more people are fishing at the same location. However, the fishing hole dries up faster.

Green and blue fish can't be filleted for perfect roe. So if obtaining perfect roe is your ultimate goal, it is actually better to fish alone because you will be more likely to catch white quality fish and the fishing hole will last longer.

Edited to add: The rate at which you go through bait does not change. You use one piece of bait each time you cast your line. You are going to go through a ton of bait to get perfect roe, because the drop rate is low (usually around 100 pieces to get 1 row, though YMMV). Again, you would only use less bait fishing with other people if you were hunting fishing achievements, because statistically you would catch the rare fish faster and need less bait. The best way to make sure you aren't wasting bait is to always use the correct bait at the correct location. You can google this, though, it is usually pretty easy to guess whether the body of water is considered ocean, lake, river, or foul based on the appearance. The only place it gets tricky is the transition areas (for example, where exactly does a lake become a river).
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on September 4, 2015 6:03PM