Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eso tanking vs WoW tanking

redcloud1187_ESO
Need some advice on tanking in ESO I did a lot o tanking on WoW with my warrior/druid/pally but know tanking on ESO is a lot different mostly the fact u have to block yourself and no aoe taunt unlike on WoW where blocking was a proc or high dmg migration

Should I hold block the whole fight?
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad day to ask that question....
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer is no. You used to be able to basically perma-block, but now you can't because you don't regenerate stamina while blocking. You need to time your blocks for when the thing you're holding aggro on is winding up for a big attack (although depending on the attack you'll either block or get out of the way - it will take experience to learn when you need to do one vs. the other), or when you've got a ton of mobs on you (which shouldn't last long if your DPS are doing their job and burning them down).

I never played WoW so I can't really compare tanking in ESO to tanking in WoW, but the keys to tanking in ESO are taunting the right targets (priority goes bosses, melee heavy hitters, anything else you can easily grab without losing aggro on the higher priority stuff), making sure your positioning is right (try to keep the stuff you're holding aggro on away from your friends while staying close enough to be targeted by heals, get out of red AoEs, and for certain boss mechanics try to pull the boss to a certain place/facing), throwing down some crowd control on mobs (where possible - some classes have an easier time with this than others), knowing when to block (already mentioned above), resource management (depending on your class/build this may be mostly about stamina, or it may involve magicka management too), doing whatever you can to make the healer's job easier (use damage mitigation abilities, damage shields, self-heals, etc), and contributing some DPS while you do it.

Easy!

Actually, I find tanking in ESO to be a fun challenge. More so than the other roles IMO.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)