Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newbie Help

boreas1000
boreas1000
Soul Shriven
Is there anyone willing to help set me up with addons and give me a good sense of direction as to what I could do with the game? Just bought it and well, the first thing I did was kill NPCs and run around a bit aimlessly. I'd love to join a guild and I have quite a lot of time I want to put into playing.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    for addons...
    I assume you know they only work on the pc? Addons are good and helpfull, but they don't tell you what to do.

As you just started I recommend going with the program and see what questions you have, and be more specific.

Did you play other elder scroll games or mmo's??
    It would help a lil bit in getting directions.
    The first thing to realise is that quests are your friend in this game. so take whatever quest you can get. As you just started, the first one should be the one that brings you to the tutorial island. You start out in the first real zone (after the coldharbour quest that sets the story of the prophet). but the first questgiver you encounter is giving you a quest that sends you to the tutorial island. I recommend doing all quests there you can find.

Once done and returned to the first real zone (in the first city), I recommend doing all the quests inside the town. This includes the 6 crafting tutorials. You don't need to fix on any of the crafts yet, but it is good to know them all and be on the first step of understand.

The second is to join the mages guild and fighters guild (both are npc guilds and part of the story). they help a lot in unlocking skills and in giving great rewards.

After that you need to finish your first map. important is that you need to make all icons on the map white. The way to do this differs per icon type (there are two you don't need to do).

First are dolmen (a saw-wheel on the map). this is a place where a dark anchor is opened once every 15 minutes. it is something to do with a group, but it makes a loud sound attracting other players most often anyways. this gives great xp but also levels up the fighting guild.

Second are delves (a torch icon). it is an underground place typically you will find a skyshard and a boss in it. killing the boss will turn the icon white. This gives great xp too

next are public dungeons. there is one per map. you likely can't do it alone, but it is public. just wait inside at the start and run with 2-4 other people doing it. you can team up. but thats optional.

now the two things that are optional. The first are group dungeons. they are hard and require a group. they are scaled to the groupleaders level and so can be done at any time. So no need to worry, do them when you got a good group.

The second optional thing are bosses (skull and bones on the map), they spawn at the icon once every few minutes and require a group to do. they don't give a lot of xp or loot. so do them if you want, but dont worry.

The last thing is every other icon on the map (trees, farms, towns, castles, etc). they indicate that there is a quest there to do. once you approach the place you should find the questgiver. doing the quest or chain of quests will turn the icon white.

Besides titles, optimal xp for levelling and dyes (to colour your armor), it also helps you keep track and gives skillpoints (needed for your build and alternate builds at endgame). Besides that, the game is designed so, if you do this, you don't fall behind and get level 50 exactly when you have too.

This all is info outside of add-ons.
    The add-ons I use are:
    - skyshards (shows skyshards on the map, this also helps in getting titles and skillpoints)
    - lorebooks (shows the location of lorebooks on the map, these are needed to level up the mages guild and do the mages guild quests)
    - minimap (it shows a minimap on the screen making navigation a lot easier)
    - treasure hunter (I don't really recommend this one from the start, but it helps finding survey locations and treasure locations by marking it with an X on the map if you got the right item in you inventory.
    - master merchant (keeps track of your sales and all sales in your guilds. it helps a lot in getting pricechecks and assists in being a trader. I think this is not for you from the start but later one it might).
    - Sishu guild tools (basically only needed if you are leading a guild or are a high ranking officer).

thats all I got to give. if you got specific questions, just ask. for the rest. Welcome to Tamriel!

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you need to know how to install addons (assuming your on pc) -
    To do a manual install:

Start by heading over to http://www.esoui.com . Look through what they have to offer and download any addons which might interest you. Just be sure it's up to date and compatible with the current game client (if it's marked 1.6.5 you'll probably be good but double check to be sure).

Now pretty much everything you'll download is going to be compressed into a .zip or .rar file so you'll want to make sure you have some way of opening them up. I personally use WinRaR but there's also WinZip or 7zip.

Once you've got a way of decompressing the files. Open C:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live(liveeu for EU server)\AddOns. That's where your going to want to extract the files to (On the off chance there is no folder labeled AddOns in the \live folder then make one).

Once you've extracted the files to the AddOns folder, start your game up and log in. When you get to the character screen, on the left there'll be an option tab that says ADD-ONS . Click that and it'll open a menu where you should see a list of all your installed addons. From here you can select which ones you want to enable/disable and on which characters. You can also set it to run out of date addons *use at your own risk.

Of course if this all seems like too much work then you might want to look into a program called Minion (http://minion.mmoui.com). It'll will do the installing and updating for you. I don't use it though so I can't give you specifics on how it works.

Addons that might interest you:

Destinations
    Lorebooks
    MiniMap
    QuestMap
    SousChef
    Skyshards
    FTC
    Notebook

All these really do is supplement or enhance the games rather bare UI. Nothing over the top they just make life a lot simpler.

Edited by Fruitmass on August 16, 2015 12:08AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Ranique,

Nice response. Thanks very much. It's helpful to us noobs!
    Starkman
    My PC? You mean, this thing, what's quickly becoming a low-end system!
  • AlmightyGoldfish
    Fruitmass wrote: »
    If you need to know how to install addons (assuming your on pc) -
    To do a manual install:

Start by heading over to http://www.esoui.com . Look through what they have to offer and download any addons which might interest you. Just be sure it's up to date and compatible with the current game client (if it's marked 1.6.5 you'll probably be good but double check to be sure).

Now pretty much everything you'll download is going to be compressed into a .zip or .rar file so you'll want to make sure you have some way of opening them up. I personally use WinRaR but there's also WinZip or 7zip.

Once you've got a way of decompressing the files. Open C:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live(liveeu for EU server)\AddOns. That's where your going to want to extract the files to (On the off chance there is no folder labeled AddOns in the \live folder then make one).

Once you've extracted the files to the AddOns folder, start your game up and log in. When you get to the character screen, on the left there'll be an option tab that says ADD-ONS . Click that and it'll open a menu where you should see a list of all your installed addons. From here you can select which ones you want to enable/disable and on which characters. You can also set it to run out of date addons *use at your own risk.

Of course if this all seems like too much work then you might want to look into a program called Minion (http://minion.mmoui.com). It'll will do the installing and updating for you. I don't use it though so I can't give you specifics on how it works.

Addons that might interest you:

Destinations
    Lorebooks
    MiniMap
    QuestMap
    SousChef
    Skyshards
    FTC
    Notebook

All these really do is supplement or enhance the games rather bare UI. Nothing over the top they just make life a lot simpler.

That's basically the same I have bar a few more being UI (with sister add ons) and MailR/Shuisi's Guild tool-

Nice collection!
    Edited by AlmightyGoldfish on August 30, 2015 8:13AM
    FYI with gaming you meet a lot of different people
    Today you have met the best saltiest person there can be.
    You just met the WhaleSperm