The Changes to Ball of Lightning/Streak is a bad idea

Lucky28
Lucky28
✭✭✭✭✭
I started playing the game in early June, still a relatively new player i just hit Vet rank 13 today i've invested all my Thief points into Magicka Recovery and Reduce spell cost and i have good gear for my sorc. And yet, even now i cannot spam streak without end. in fact i've only just gotten to the point where i can use it at all as a legitimate offensive/evasive skill. The 50% increase as it is in the current live version is enough, the stacking 50% increase however, is massive overkill and no new player is going to be able to use it, period.

hell, I'm not going to be able to use it actually, and streak is one of my favorite offensive abilities. So, i'd like to ask that you reconsider this change. please.
Edited by Lucky28 on August 21, 2015 7:11AM
Invictus
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »
    I started playing the game in early June, still a relatively new player i just hit Vet rank 13 today i've invested all my Thief points into Magicka Recovery and Reduce spell cost and i have good gear for my sorc. And yet, even now i cannot spam streak without end. in fact i've only just gotten to the point where i can use it at all as legitimate offensive/evasive skill. The 50% increase as it in the current live version is enough, the stacking 50% increase however, is massive overkill and no new player is going to be able to use it, period.

hell, I'm not going to be able to use it actually, and streak is one of my favorite offensive abilities. So, i'd like to ask that you reconsider this change. please.

I sympathize with you. The 50% stacking is a bit overnerfed if you ask me. As a v14 with quite a few cp I really have to consider not using this much at all in combat now, atleast not the way I do now, streaking over my oponents regularly stunning them etc. Having an ability on my bar (one of 5) that I cannot use as often in my rotation is just not functional. The nerf should hit lowvet or nonvet less then they do longtime vets with great magicka sustain. IMO the stacking cost should be 33%, not 50%.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started playing the game in early June, still a relatively new player i just hit Vet rank 13 today i've invested all my Thief points into Magicka Recovery and Reduce spell cost and i have good gear for my sorc. And yet, even now i cannot spam streak without end. in fact i've only just gotten to the point where i can use it at all as legitimate offensive/evasive skill. The 50% increase as it in the current live version is enough, the stacking 50% increase however, is massive overkill and no new player is going to be able to use it, period.

Ho2WtDT.gif
    I got killed in pvp, nerf everything...
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was happy when they announced this change, so that noob Sorcerer can't just blink away that easily. I was convinced, this would be a good change.
    But I must agree, this ability is barely worth slotting now. Even on live, I can't escape good melees with it. Now I have 0 chance.

I assume, bolt escape is not meant to be an escape, even though it's in the name. It's meant to be used 1 time, so that melees can launch a gap closer on you :D Why in Aetherius name do all gap closers stun you anyway for a moment, even though I have CC immunity ? So annoying.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »

I sympathize with you. The 50% stacking is a bit overnerfed if you ask me. As a v14 with quite a few cp I really have to consider not using this much at all in combat now, atleast not the way I do now, streaking over my oponents regularly stunning them etc. Having an ability on my bar (one of 5) that I cannot use as often in my rotation is just not functional. The nerf should hit lowvet or nonvet less then they do longtime vets with great magicka sustain. IMO the stacking cost should be 33%, not 50%.

I suppose i can understand that Stacking on "Ball of Lightning" and BoL only cause i'm pretty sure that's the one most people complain about but Streak should not have that stacking issues. Streak is the more offensive ability and people can very easily kill you if your trying to streak away, it offers no protection in that regard.

As i've said. i love using streak in Combat as an offensive ability. but i don't think it's broken at all. it does take some practice because you have to re-position yourself after each use to get in your DPS and you have to do it quickly. and you know as Sorcs our main Heavy Damage abilities are for the most part projectiles (even Destruction staff is projectile) the abilities that reflect projectiles can be a very real problem, i sometimes have no other abilities i can use other than streak and curse (and curse can be blocked and doesn't even have a damage over time effect) I just don't see any good coming from nerfing it.
    Edited by Lucky28 on August 21, 2015 9:16AM
    Invictus
    Options
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, BOL is fine now, no spamming, no perma absorb and a good defensive ability when you use it correctly and wisely. But streak cost is too high for the pitiful damage and the nearly useless CC (most of the time, free cc immunity because the cc is too short). I use streak to break cloak, but that's all. I think I'll forgot streak (and bol, I prefer streak and I don't need the spell absorb) in 1.7.
    Options
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Being able to bolt to the horizon is just... huuurrk...

Honestly, I'm fine with nerfing it to prevent bolting 500 times in a row (ok, that's "only" 8 times in a row), but it should also be rewarding to players using it offensively, so I wouldn't mind to keep the 50% stackable increased cost, but add a component that rewards aggressive use of it.

Something like "bolting through an enemy does not add 50% cost to the next Streak" or "refunds 40% of the mana cost while bolting through at least 1 enemy".

Something along those lines.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
    Options
  • Murmeltier
    Murmeltier
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the Changes for Streak/BoL and the Shieldbreaker Set, a Sorcerer should hire some Bodyguards or Drive with a Tank through the Imperial City :s .
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Murmeltier wrote: »
    With the Changes for Streak/BoL and the Shieldbreaker Set, a Sorcerer should hire some Bodyguards or Drive with a Tank through the Imperial City :s .

Yeah. DK's with reflective scales and that set are just going to completely roll me and i'm not going to be able to do anything about it. this is why i haven't bought the imperial city DLC and am not going to till i'm sure this doesn't happen. I don't mean to sound whiny there, but this change just destroys the manner in which i enjoy engaging other players in combat (and even PvE Pledges and what have you) it'd just take too much fun out of the game for me. :(
    Edited by Lucky28 on August 21, 2015 9:40AM
    Invictus
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Streak does damage, BoL doesn't. When you use BoL you create an AoE stun for targets within 5m of you. They should add a very small amount of damage to that BoL stun, like 500 dmg, nothing serious. Then add this line to the to the tooltip of both BoL and Streak.

If you cause damage with this ability the cost increase resets

So basically, if you are in the middle of the fight and not running away, you get no cost increase. If you are trying to bolt off into the sunset, you get a huge cost penalty.
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Streak does damage, BoL doesn't. When you use BoL you create an AoE stun for targets within 5m of you. They should add a very small amount of damage to that BoL stun, like 500 dmg, nothing serious. Then add this line to the to the tooltip of both BoL and Streak.

So basically, if you are in the middle of the fight and not running away, you get no cost increase. If you are trying to bolt off into the sunset, you get a huge cost penalty.

That still doesn't do anything for when your trying to use it as an actual gap closer. i see how it can be rather annoying when people BoL into the sunset but that's all it is, a minor annoyance they are not gaining any AP from doing such things and if up against a halfway competent Melee forget about it.

I don't think an annoyance is reason enough to nerf a skill so hard it ruins it in it's entirety.
    Invictus
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That still doesn't do anything for when your trying to use it as an actual gap closer. i see how it can be rather annoying when people BoL into the sunset but that's all it is, a minor annoyance they are not gaining any AP from doing such things and if up against a halfway competent Melee forget about it.

I don't think an annoyance is reason enough to nerf a skill so hard it ruins it in it's entirety.

That doesn't make sense, how far do you want to gap close? 100m?

Streak is a 12m teleport. If your target is at 30m, your 3rd Streak will hit him and reset the cost increase. Just as it starts to become expensive.

It's still faster than an actual gap closer like Shield Charge where you'd have to run the distance 30m -> 18m before you can activate you gap closer.
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Streak is a 12m teleport. If your target is at 30m, your 3rd Streak will hit him and reset the cost increase. Just as it starts to become expensive.

It's still faster than an actual gap closer like Shield Charge where you'd have to run the distance 30m -> 18m before you can activate you gap closer.

I've had to use Streak 5-8 times when trying to chase down a nightblade with that stealth speed increase (and even now that puts me in a bad position magicka wise) with what you purpose and this change in general. sure i may be able to catch up with him eventually, but i'm gonna be completely outta magicka so what's the point?.

And there are players who can outspeed me while i'm using rapids and spamming streak to my fullest while they are on foot unbuffed. it's not the end-all be-all of speed in this game.
    Edited by Lucky28 on August 21, 2015 11:46AM
    Invictus
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I've had to use Streak 5-8 times when trying to chase down a nightblade with that stealth speed increase (and even now that puts me in a bad position magicka wise) with what you purpose and this change in general. sure i may be able to catch up with him eventually, but i'm gonna be completely outta magicka so what's the point?.

And there are players who can outspeed me while i'm using rapids and spamming streak to my fullest while they are on foot unbuffed. it's not the end-all be-all of speed in this game.

Bottom line is, you can't have everything. Streak is not strictly a gap closer. It requires no target, it can be used both as gap closer and gap maker and it's an AoE stun with decent damage.

If it was strictly a gap cloaser you would never catch that cloaking NB anyways cause gap closers require a target.

You can't have a guaranteed catch mechanism for cloakers, they have to have an escape chance as well. So you have to manage your streak costs too. You can't just zoom around the place randomly like a bee on crack until you find them.

Streak is fine with an increasing cost as an escape mechanism. The problem is with the increasing coast as an offensive mechanism.
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Reznique
    Reznique
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's just another proof of ZOS ' capability of dealing with balancing issues. The skill is good? Kill it or buff to the extremes
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bottom line is, you can't have everything. Streak is not strictly a gap closer. It requires no target, it can be used both as gap closer and gap maker and it's an AoE stun with decent damage.

If it was strictly a gap cloaser you would never catch that cloaking NB anyways cause gap closers require a target.

You can't have a guaranteed catch mechanism for cloakers, they have to have an escape chance as well. So you have to manage your streak costs too. You can't just zoom around the place randomly like a bee on crack until you find them.

Streak is fine with an increasing cost as an escape mechanism. The problem is with the increasing coast as an offensive mechanism.

Few other than Sorcs can catch a cloaked Nb which is why they always complain. with sorcs gimped, NB's are going to wreak havoc and they're goning to be the next class to get a huge nerf, it's a foolish cycle that doesn't work.

And with this nerf to Bolt escape and it's morphs we don't have an escape "chance" we have a worthless skill and that is all.

Edited by Lucky28 on August 21, 2015 1:51PM
    Invictus
    Options
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Teargrants @Ezareth, don't remember who came up with it, but may I ask for that spiderman pic with NB instead of sorc on it? Honestly, every thread nowadays sooner or later degrades into a nerf NB discussion...
    Options
  • BEZDNA
    BEZDNA
    ✭✭✭✭
    The change to streek is AMAZING! The only better way to deal with that skill would be to remove it completly, but i'm OK with the coming change as well =)
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    @Teargrants @Ezareth, don't remember who came up with it, but may I ask for that spiderman pic with NB instead of sorc on it? Honestly, every thread nowadays sooner or later degrades into a nerf NB discussion...

I don't want a nerf to anything. is the point. the classes balance eachother out quite well: Dragonknight's are good against Sorcs, Nightblades are good against Templars, and Sorcs are good against nightblades. However, with this nerf the scales have been tipped. this is not an opinion it's an inevitability.
    Edited by Lucky28 on August 21, 2015 2:01PM
    Invictus
    Options
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I said this when they first announced this change. Stamina users are now the masters of Mobility. With Retreating Manuevers or Doubletake I can sprint infinitely in full Medium armor as fast as a max speed mount and no sorc can put distance on me without using terrain (and sometimes that works against them with fall times).

OQMhuI6.jpg
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
    Options
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't want a nerf to anything. is the point. the classes balance eachother out quite well: Dragonknight's are good against Sorcs, Nightblades are good against Templars, and Sorcs are good against nightblades. However, with this nerf the scales have been tipped. this is not an opinion it's an inevitability.
    My quip was not necessarily targeted at you, mate. Just a general observation ;)

Also, I do agree with you that the bolt escape nerf (along with the dodge nerf) was a bit OTT, as also stated here.
    Options
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as the changes to Streak/BoL go I don't think we're going to get ZoS to change it without it hitting live first.

As I pointed out when this change was announced you rarely need to Bolt more than twice and the nerf to Dodge roll and block means the primary means of avoiding sorc damage was also heavily nerfed.

Let's see how it performs in live and adjust from there. I'm not seeing good sorcs getting easily gibbed on PTS atm.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    As far as the changes to Streak/BoL go I don't think we're going to get ZoS to change it without it hitting live first.

As I pointed out when this change was announced you rarely need to Bolt more than twice and the nerf to Dodge roll and block means the primary means of avoiding sorc damage was also heavily nerfed.

Let's see how it performs in live and adjust from there. I'm not seeing good sorcs getting easily gibbed on PTS atm.

It's not necessarily the survivability of the sorc that will get hit with this nerf. Saying that I have yet to see a Sorc play, even the perceived very best, that doesn't every now and then have an "oh feck" moment where he has to spam bolt 5+ times to get out of zerg range.

Quite the opposite I think with the decreased damage the overall survivability will go up, shieldbreaker set not withstanding.

What this set does is it limits the offensive potential. In 1.6 I can Streak into a group drop, Proxy + DB, wreak havoc for a few short seconds, try to get a couple of kills and then btfo (bolt the feck out). In 1.7 open world you have to be a lot more careful and unless you have a very clear escape root or a good chance at winning, it's better to just stay at range and kite. Because streaking 2-3 times to get into melee range will already increase bolt cost to dangerous levels reducing your chances of a successful escape.

Anyhow, like I said I'm very much okay with the increasing cost when escaping. Especially since both blocking and dodge-roll have much higher costs applied to them.

It's just that Streak is also an attack, especially when used as such. In fact it's the only class specific PBAoE Sorcs have. And when it's used as an AoE (i.e. causes damage) , I don't expect to get punished with extra cost every time, since no attack suffers from increasing costs upon use.

But yeah, I don't expect to see any changes until we go live with this.
    Edited by Maulkin on August 21, 2015 2:30PM
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Ezareth just now saw it, awesome, mate. Thanks for that. Permission to repost?
    Options
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ezareth just now saw it, awesome, mate. Thanks for that. Permission to repost?

Haha it's an old one, go for it.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
    Options
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's not necessarily the survivability of the sorc that will get hit with this nerf. Saying that I have yet to see a Sorc play, even the perceived very best, that doesn't every now and then have an "oh feck" moment where he has to spam bolt 5+ times to get out of zerg range.

Quite the opposite I think with the decreased damage the overall survivability will go up, shieldbreaker set not withstanding.

What this set does is it limits the offensive potential. In 1.6 I can Streak into a group drop, Proxy + DB, wreak havoc for a few short seconds, try to get a couple of kills and then btfo (bolt the feck out). In 1.7 open world you have to be a lot more careful and unless you have a very clear escape root or a good chance at winning, it's better to just stay at range and kite. Because streaking 2-3 times to get into melee range will already increase bolt cost to dangerous levels reducing your chances of a successful escape.

Anyhow, like I said I'm very much okay with the increasing cost when escaping. Especially since both blocking and dodge-roll have much higher costs applied to them.

It's just that Streak is also an attack, especially when used as such. In fact it's the only class specific PBAoE Sorcs have. And when it's used as an AoE (i.e. causes damage) , I don't expect to get punished with extra cost every time, since no attack suffers from increasing costs upon use.

On live right now you often need to streak in then GTFO before you get blown up. On PTS with reduced damage you have a better chance to wait for your 4 second cooldown to reset before streaking out.

Sadly I think one of the biggest skills in the new meta will be being cognizant of your "cooldown" timers on Bolt Escape and Dodge roll. It's just a shame that Dodge roll is actually more like 5-6 seconds.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

On live right now you often need to streak in then GTFO before you get blown up. On PTS with reduced damage you have a better chance to wait for your 4 second cooldown to reset before streaking out.

Sadly I think one of the biggest skills in the new meta will be being cognizant of your "cooldown" timers on Bolt Escape and Dodge roll. It's just a shame that Dodge roll is actually more like 5-6 seconds.

WTB cooldown timer for Streak on FTC please @Atropos :)
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My quip was not necessarily targeted at you, mate. Just a general observation ;)

Also, I do agree with you that the bolt escape nerf (along with the dodge nerf) was a bit OTT, as also stated here.

Whatever the case i don't have the time to farm 3K CP in order to make the Build i decided i liked and enjoyed playing viable again nor do i have the time to make another character and start from scratch.
    Invictus
    Options
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭
    as a non sorc player I really <3 this change
    and to all the sorcs just use your lightning form with major expedition for 4 secs to reset the costs after streaking 3 times you should be fine with that and enough reg still can port over cyrodiil just with a chance for the others to catch up ;)
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
    Options
  • capnbinky
    capnbinky
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they took a poll of players what the vote for these changes would look like. It seems like it's mostly PVP players who ask for nerfs. If that's the case, they should just only apply nerfs in Cyrodiil.
    Options
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭
    capnbinky wrote: »
    I wonder if they took a poll of players what the vote for these changes would look like. It seems like it's mostly PVP players who ask for nerfs. If that's the case, they should just only apply nerfs in Cyrodiil.

as a mat farmer I want this nerf too. evertime I run for a mat there is a sorc blinking over me from behind and taking it -.-
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
    Options