The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Caltrops the new "I win" or crutch skill.

Forestd16b14_ESO
Forestd16b14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So we been playing PTS for awhile and U7 is almost live and I'm sure alot of you encountered those small zergling groups were the toss alteast 2 or 3 caltrops which brings up the question even after the fixes and what not players are still using and tossing caltrop every where which brings up the question. Is there more to clatrops than players on the froums let most believe? Cause something has to be going for it if every one tosses them around and run away as soon as enemy players exit the AoE.

Is caltrops a new crutch and if it is please fix it before it goes live. Right now kinda annoying trying to fight when the entire area is covered in caltrops.

Best Answers

• FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caltrops are used a lot on live also. As someone else has said they are good for revealing stealthed players, but also for ap gain; you tag as many people as you can and watch the points roll in when they all die. I do a similar thing with Rapid AP-gen, I mean Rapid Regen. The enclosed spaces of IC probably exacerbate their annoyingness, and foes love to be annoying.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on August 19, 2015 12:53AM
    PC | EU
    Answer ✓
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    So we been playing PTS for awhile and U7 is almost live and I'm sure alot of you encountered those small zergling groups were the toss alteast 2 or 3 caltrops which brings up the question even after the fixes and what not players are still using and tossing caltrop every where which brings up the question. Is there more to clatrops than players on the froums let most believe? Cause something has to be going for it if every one tosses them around and run away as soon as enemy players exit the AoE.

Is caltrops a new crutch and if it is please fix it before it goes live. Right now kinda annoying trying to fight when the entire area is covered in caltrops.

On live sever they are literally E V E R Y W H E R E when you go into zerg grps. It does good dmg, snares, activates dots, camo and all that shit
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

Answer ✓
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its mainly used to expose sneaking players, it has a big radius and long duration so its very useful for stamina builds. The damage is pretty low but the snare can be annoying.

You can also charge ulti if you dodge roll into emeny caltrops, which can be useful in certain situations.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Xeniph
    Xeniph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does amazing dps for the stamina cost vs multiple targets, it's duration is long and more importantly, with IC being so bottleneckie it's quite nice protection from being snuck up on.
    Edited by Xeniph on August 18, 2015 11:49PM
    Here since Beta.

Characters: All of them, both Stamina and Magicka.
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    True great to find stealth players but what I been finding is players just toss them and forget it period not even in bottle necks they just toss them even in Cyrodiil they toss them and refuse to leave that area.
  • Thalmor-Nordmaster
    Thalmor-Nordmaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can test this at home buy buying Jacks at toys R us. At night toss them in a dark hall and wait to hear who finds them.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can test this at home buy buying Jacks at toys R us. At night toss them in a dark hall and wait to hear who finds them.

I accidentally dropped my 4 sided dice once,....once
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caltrops is still the ability in the game that has the highest damage per cast (non-ultimate that is, not sure about banner etc). on top of it, there is the snare. with all that proccing gone (or tuned down) it got a nerf but is still incredibly good. at to the fact that it covers about as much as a typical IC corridor, people are bound to use it a lot
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the detection potion nerf it will be essential to stay away from those stealthy's. I will be using it.

It does some nice damage
    Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on August 19, 2015 5:35AM
    PS4 NA DC
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the detection potion nerf it will be essential to stay away from those stealthy's. I will be using it.

It does some nice damage and also drains good amounts of stamina if anyone try's to block.

I heard this isn't the case on PTS( havent tested it tough)

That caltrops no longer is a melee attack/damage, so it shouldn't drain stamina on blockers anymore. Or am I wrong?
    EU | PC
  • Thalmor-Nordmaster
    Thalmor-Nordmaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A counter to these would be a ball you can bounce and pick them up while the ball is in the air
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just adapt to caltrops. no big deal
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So adapt to always running at 40% movement speed and having every single enemy player home in on the snared players.
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So adapt to always running at 40% movement speed and having every single enemy player home in on the snared players.

Rapid Maneuver. You can run right through them without being snared.
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • k2blader
    k2blader
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What would you say is the option for magicka builds?

Disabling the grass may improve performance.
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k2blader wrote: »

Again, Rapid Maneuver. Surely you have at least enough Stamina to cast it once. Even if you don't, all that is required is for you to be in a group where someone does have it, because it also applies to nearby allies.
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • k2blader
    k2blader
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, Rapid Maneuver. Surely you have at least enough Stamina to cast it once. Even if you don't, all that is required is for you to be in a group where someone does have it, because it also applies to nearby allies.

Yeah I could cast it once then I'd be screwed if I need stamina for any reason after that. lol

Disabling the grass may improve performance.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

this is a learn to play issue. sorry, but this is an easily adapted to ability.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »

It does some nice damage and also drains good amounts of stamina if anyone try's to block.

I heard this isn't the case on PTS( havent tested it tough)

That caltrops no longer is a melee attack/damage, so it shouldn't drain stamina on blockers anymore. Or am I wrong?

Wait, your right, it just flat out does the damage now.

PS4 NA DC
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Mist Form
    PS4 NA DC
  • Sensesfail13
    Sensesfail13
    ✭✭✭✭
    *Face, would you kindly meet Palm."
    Wisherr, Dragonknight, Haderus, NA Server.
    Wisher of Naught, Nightblade, Haderus, NA Server.
    Guild officer: Abandoned Legion
  • KellionBane
    KellionBane
    ✭✭

I just tried this out with legos... What do I do with the dead bodies?
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

#crippledbylegos

• Thalmor-Nordmaster
    Thalmor-Nordmaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bodies+woodchipper+fire= Much fun
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least it doesn't proc Ravager or Red Diamond anymore....
  • Laggus
    Laggus
    ✭✭✭✭

Some people teabag them for kicks.
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caltrop was always a good ability
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make them also affect friendlies that would be hilarious
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an enormous AoE that pretty much guarantees you AP if someone who stepped in them dies, it's a great snare, it's easy to unlock, it reveals stealthers, it can proc good item sets, and it stacks (if I recall correctly) with other people's caltrops. It's not at all OP or a crutch skill, but it's a great tool to have in your arsenal. Unlike some of the other tools, however, it's not strictly necessary. You can get away with not running caltrops, but in vanilla Cyro you can't really get away without someone running purge and rapids. At least, not if you're in a large group.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster