Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

About possible issues for the Main Story in future.

Kuroinu
Kuroinu
✭✭✭✭✭
As I was reading over a post in some thread, someone made me realise something interesting that may be an issue later on down the road for this game and its story when we are able to traverse through multiple new zones.

As an example, whenever we are able to go from zone-to-zone from say Bangkorai all the way to Eastmarch; what does that mean for the Cadwell Story? Would you just be locked out from a zone at some point? But even if you do finish all Faction quests and it sort of makes sense to run between zones freely, it still doesn't feel quite right because of how the story is given to you by Cadwell about why you are visiting the other Factions not to mention Cyrodiil being the constant war zone. Going from High Rock territory to Western Skyrim areas, down to Northern Cyrodiil and along to Northern Blackmarsh for me feels awkward and out of place in a way because of the current Story and how all Factions are separated into different instances of those areas after Coldharbour.

I'm not sure some are going to understand what I'm saying but in order for this to make sense to me. Instead of going from your home Faction areas to Coldharbour then off to another Faction and then the final Faction we would really need to begin with our home Faction then visit another Faction and then the final Faction and then onto Coldharbour.

Just to make this more clear I'll list it in steps.

Current story set up:
  1. Home Faction
  2. Coldharbour
  3. Faction 1
  4. Faction 2

However, I'd find this a more sensible way to construct the story:
  1. Home Faction
  2. Faction 1
  3. Faction 2
  4. Coldharbour
Of course some parts of the story and side stories would have to be altered slightly and the entire zone levels for Faction 1, Faction 2 and Coldharbour would have to be shifted around. I'm not sure if anyone else actually sees this or feels this way but I feel something would be slightly off if we do continue adding zones and not making changes to the order of the story. I hope someone gets it, lol.

I was looking for a developer to tag this specifically to but couldn't find a name so Sir Richard and Count Firor are getting it! @ZOS_RichLambert and @ZOS_MattFiror
Edited by Kuroinu on August 15, 2015 6:58AM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think your issue here is immersion (or lack of it).
    Immersion is used to describe the abillity to get pulled into a story. This can be a book, a video game or a movie. But this story is brought to you by a medium. For example. when you read a book, it may feel very real and vibrant, but you are just reading letters on paper. When watching a movie, it is a projected image on a flat screen.

Video games have the same thing. It is not real and can never be real. there are some barriers impossible to cope with.
    A big one in MMO's is that not everyone is playing the game at the same moment. This is solved by freezing maps in time.
    So whenever you enter deshaan. it is a later date then whenever you enter stonefalls. You are considered to have done and seen everything there is in stonefalls, even if you did not. This also means that if you defeat Molag Bal and then go to the next alliance, you are sent back in time. Basically we are all timetravellers when we change zone.

A second phenomena is what is famous specially in ESO and called a dragon break. The most famous one is the one in daggerfall. several possible outcomes and the player had to choose. Each choice would have had huge consequences for Tamriel. But that is impossible in future games. So they used the dragon break to create the warp in the west. This means that all those possible outcomes happened.

This is also true for ESO. There are three alliance storylines, and all three happened (wether or not you do them). In all three you are the hero that saves that alliance and they all happen at the same time.

So what happens when for example orsinium and other zones in skyrim open up and you can walk from bangkorai to the eastmarch?. In bangkorai you are in the daggefallconvenant in the timeframe of the 5th map. Once you enter orsinium you travel in time to a time after you stopped Molag Bal's plans (in all three stories) and this continue through the new maps in skyrim till you enter the eastmarch where you travel back to the timeframe of the 4th map.

This kind of lack of immersion happens that a videogame looks so real.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it over while reading your post. For me the root of the problem is the forcing of a player into a Faction and having these Factions split into 3 separate instances. Your initial Faction areas and Cyrodiil are the only areas I feel work.

I can live with the current story, but I find it frustrating when I see a better way to go about some things and great opportunities missed.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it over while reading your post. For me the root of the problem is the forcing of a player into a Faction and having these Factions split into 3 separate instances. Your initial Faction areas and Cyrodiil are the only areas I feel work.

I can live with the current story, but I find it frustrating when I see a better way to go about some things and great opportunities missed.

Thing is they are different factions and isntances.
    Basically, the dragonbreak gives the opportunity to experience all three factions without creating a new character. It makes much more sense then letting you play all three factions without any explanation why you are suddenly supporting your mortal enemies. The way it is now is that you become hero of your faction. then find out there are bigger and more important things then fighting for you faction, like destroying molag bal and then you are tasked to see the world through your enemy's eyes and how they are not that different or evil. makes totally sense to me.

PC player - EU
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggested a fix for these issues here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/185967/cadwell-s-redux-concept-to-fix-silver-gold-freetamriel/p1And I COMPLETELY agree about the order of zones. In my post I suggested what you suggested.

Revised Faction/Quest Order
    Main Faction Quests
    Silver Quests
    Gold Quests
    Coldharbour
    Craglorn
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »

Basically, the dragonbreak gives the opportunity to experience all three factions without creating a new character. It makes much more sense then letting you play all three factions without any explanation why you are suddenly supporting your mortal enemies. The way it is now is that you become hero of your faction. then find out there are bigger and more important things then fighting for you faction, like destroying molag bal and then you are tasked to see the world through your enemy's eyes and how they are not that different or evil. makes totally sense to me.

Ah but, one of my things that I feel they could have done better would have been for the player to not pick a faction ever but be somewhat of an eternal mercenary depending on what territory they would be in. It'd make the story in any form easier to tie in. And on a personal note, I don't feel attached like some do to the faction they pick. I only picked a certain faction because I was more curious as to what that landscape looked like.
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    I suggested a fix for these issues here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/185967/cadwell-s-redux-concept-to-fix-silver-gold-freetamriel/p1And I COMPLETELY agree about the order of zones. In my post I suggested what you suggested.

Revised Faction/Quest Order
    Main Faction Quests
    Silver Quests
    Gold Quests
    Coldharbour
    Craglorn

One day, I hope all your posts come true. Lol...
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »

Ah but, one of my things that I feel they could have done better would have been for the player to not pick a faction ever but be somewhat of an eternal mercenary depending on what territory they would be in. It'd make the story in any form easier to tie in. And on a personal note, I don't feel attached like some do to the faction they pick. I only picked a certain faction because I was more curious as to what that landscape looked like.

From a lore perspective, you are not picking your alliance at all.
    the exit out of coldharbour you take leads to a random spot in tamriel. It is just pure luck in what faction you land, but in all three cases you are landing in sea and are rescued by some nice people from an alliance you start helping for that reason. The pick of a faction is done during the character selection and is not part of the story.
    How you apprach this from then on (role play) is up to you, but thats how it is set up. I like how this gives a lot of freedom to play any role you want without pushing it too much into set choices.

PC player - EU