Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

How does exp get divided when grouped with higher/lower level players?

Hekkatte
Hekkatte
Hey everyone! Thanks for your help in advance.

Can someone tell me how experience gets divided in this game in relation to the level difference of the players in a group? For instance, if my level 30 character groups with a level 10 character and we kill a monster, does all of the level 10 character's experience get "eaten up?" If so, at what point does the level difference not matter as much anymore (i.e. if I'm within 5 levels is it okay? 6? 7? etc.)?

Also, does the exp difference (if any) apply when going through a dungeon?

Just trying to figure out a way to play with my lower level friend. Thanks!
  • redskins08ub17_ESO
    I just asked this question (see below post). But to my understanding after getting some answers, XP gains work as follows:

You only can gain XP if the monster/mob is 5 levels higher than you or 5 levels lower than you.

You get full XP/Loot by just hitting the monster/mob at least once. You do not have to do the most damage or get the kill shot.

For grouping, it doesn't matter if you are grouped or not. Your friend that is level 10 (while you are level 30) will gain XP as long as the mobs are within the level range for them. You will gain nothing, but they should be able to gain max XP.

So, they just need to get one shot in on a mob 5 levels higher than their level, you can one shot it, they get full XP/Loot. You get just loot, no XP. Sounds like a great way to Power Level a friend to get them caught up to your level.

As far as dungeons go, they nerfed the level gains for monsters/mobs inside the dungeon to where you only can get like 1-3 XP. This was to "fix" people from exploiting level gains by spamming AOEs (so they get one hit in) and power leveling their char to 50 in one to two days. So grinding dungeons for just XP is a lost cause now.

Edited by redskins08ub17_ESO on April 13, 2014 6:19PM
  • Hekkatte
    Hekkatte
    Wow, great! Thanks for the help. And sorry, I didn't go through the forum as I should have :p.
  • redskins08ub17_ESO
    Hekkatte wrote: »
    Wow, great! Thanks for the help. And sorry, I didn't go through the forum as I should have :p.
    No problem bro. Great minds think alike :smiley:

• Hekkatte
    Hekkatte
    Regarding your last comment on the dungeons, is that for ANY group, or just when you are grouped with someone 5 levels higher/lower then the other person?
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    You get full XP/Loot by just hitting the monster/mob at least once. You do not have to do the most damage or get the kill shot.

This unfortunately isn't true, or if it is, a mob will cut off players from loot who don't deal enough damage overall. I can cite hundreds of instances where I've single hit a creature someone else was attacking and got nothing for it. I see this most often when running the mini-dungeons and there can be upwards for 10-20 people camping the boss, and I've done single hits on them and received no loot. In that case, it usually requires me to do just a little bit more and I'm able to get what I need, but I usually don't stay very long.

I've also noticed that I didn't get completion of the dungeon quite a few times, either, so it wasn't even a loot bug - the game practically did not see me hitting the mob even though I did.
    Edited by Madae on April 15, 2014 6:49PM
  • Hekkatte
    Hekkatte
    Madae wrote: »

This unfortunately isn't true, or if it is, a mob will cut off players from loot who don't deal enough damage overall. I can cite hundreds of instances where I've single hit a creature someone else was attacking and got nothing for it. I see this most often when running the mini-dungeons and there can be upwards for 10-20 people camping the boss, and I've done single hits on them and received no loot. In that case, it usually requires me to do just a little bit more and I'm able to get what I need, but I usually don't stay very long.

I can second this actually, now having tried it. There does seem to be a difference in exp gained, based upon damage. Perhaps I'd be best off healing from outside the party and letting them kill the mobs. Or there is always Cyrodiil.
  • TheCheetCode
    TheCheetCode
    Soul Shriven
    From my experience it also seems to have a little to do with vicinity to mobs, after all there may be a slight delay between server and cient. If you are not in the immediate vicinity of a mob and run in just in time for a single hit you often times wont receive loot but if you are in the immediate area usually one or 2 hits is all it takes to receive credit. Sometimes when you don't receive loot you may just not have had any loot for you on that particular mob.. killing the same named mob repeatedly for instance will not give you loot, not saying that's the case just helpful information for some that may not know.

The same thing works for dolmens you can show up right near the end as long as you press the sigil to close it you will still get credit or even if you show up in time to do some damage to one or more mobs, more than one hit is usually required to receive credit for a dolmen tho.
    I have been helping a friend level so i have been keeping a close eye on what gains them experience as well as while i play with others.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Madae wrote: »
    I see this most often when running the mini-dungeons and there can be upwards for 10-20 people camping the boss, and I've done single hits on them and received no loot.

Bosses have different rules. Most will not give you a drop unless you do some level of damage to them. It used to be that you had to get the kill shot in to get credit, but they changed that. Also, you don't get the Boss Drop if you repeat the boss too soon.

If your grouped, you get loot and exp for any mobs that are killed by the group. Including Bosses. As long are you are near the group when it happens.

If your just near other players and not grouped with them, then you have to do some damage to get loot or exp.

Edited by Nestor on August 14, 2015 2:19PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can get loot from one hitting but at the same time.I can run a whole zone and never get a single drop from every enemy I kill while navigating that zone ... So it seems more random luck than anything,

Also you don't get loot from enemies 5 levels or more lower than you.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG is a factor as to whether you get a loot drop at all. And, then it is a factor as to what loot you do get, including quality of the items (green, blue or purple)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Drakk89815
    Drakk89815
    ✭✭
    The key question is how does this change in cyrodiil?
    Xbox One - Drakk89815
  • Thecapeo
    Thecapeo
    ✭✭✭
    Vicinity definitely plays a part. You can also notice it when doing quests where the objectives can completed by anyone in your group. If you're too far away from your group you won't get credit for the objective. Same with xp and loot. I get xp and loot all time from mobs I didn't hit personally. There are plenty of times in delves where I'd stop to grab a resource and my group would keep going and leave a trail of loot-able bodies behind.