Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Not Catching ANY Blue Fish!

KriHavok
KriHavok
✭✭✭✭
Hi, I've recently had the incentive to return to fishing since launch in an attempt to find the new Perfect Roe. At the same time, I thought that I should also try getting the achievements, as most were half-finished since I got slightly bored with it from launch.

However... I remember finding green and blue fish quite easily at launch, but now I cannot find ANY blue fish whatsoever. I have gone through almost 450 pieces of bait (the right kind of bait for the water type) and still cannot find any blue fish! I used to be able to find 1 blue fish every 20 fish at launch, but now getting 0 after 450 pieces, it's ridiculous! In the meantime, I have even found 6 pieces of Perfect Roe (legendary quality) and 0 blue fishes (superior quality).

These 450 pieces of bait were spent in Glenumbra and Stormhaven (if that helps). So, what I wanted to know is if anyone else is experiencing difficulties with finding blue fish. Because at first I thought myself as unlucky but after continuing I've become perplexed after so many bait and hours spent.

I even tried emailing ZoS support and they recommended their support page (nothing on it there), on the uesp.net wiki (nothing on it there) and the forums. I'm trying my luck here and fingers-crossed someone can help... Thanks!
UESP Staffer & Wiki Editor
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've caught a few blue fish since I started fishing again, even caught one using the lower tier bait.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    I've caught a few blue fish since I started fishing again, even caught one using the lower tier bait.
    What do you mean by lower tier? Don't they all work the same way, just on different water types?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some blue fish are WAY harder than others to get - I'm not home so I can't check if I have those two...

Try fishing with others. I find that I find way more rare fish when a few of us are fishing at the same holes together.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    What do you mean by lower tier? Don't they all work the same way, just on different water types?

I'm guessing they mean worms/crawlers etc. Rather than the catchable baits like roe, minnows etc.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

I'm guessing they mean worms/crawlers etc. Rather than the catchable baits like roe, minnows etc.
    But they don't change the catch rate, do they?

It might just be bad luck, but ever since Perfect Roe was introduced, I feel like I'm catching fewer rare fish. Maybe I'm imagining it. Either way, I second the suggestion to fish in a group, it's the best way to catch rares.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It might just be bad luck, but ever since Perfect Roe was introduced, I feel like I'm catching fewer rare fish. Maybe I'm imagining it. Either way, I second the suggestion to fish in a group, it's the best way to catch rares.

I have never tested the catch rate with the catchable baits.. I don't think it changes anything. (other than the fact the Stro m'kai blue fish USED to be bugged and could only be caught with Chub)

I actually noticed I'm catching a lot of rare fish since perfect roe has been introduced. maybe it's all just RNG at it's finest?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I have also felt like I'm catching fewer blue fish than in the past. Over the last few days, I've used close to 400 pieces of bait and only caught one blue fish.

We are probably just having a stint of bad RNG rolls; I'm sure there is someone out there who can say it feels like they are catching tons of blue fish.

On the plus side, I have found 3 perfect roe -- so that's something.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have never tested the catch rate with the catchable baits.. I don't think it changes anything. (other than the fact the Stro m'kai blue fish USED to be bugged and could only be caught with Chub)

I actually noticed I'm catching a lot of rare fish since perfect roe has been introduced. maybe it's all just RNG at it's finest?
    Are you telling me you can catch the Stros M'kai rare with worms now? Because I attribute that to my notion that catchable bait increases or is required for certain rare fishes.

In any case, it might be the RNG, or it might be they increased white fish drops since you can only get Roe from them.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • KriHavok
    KriHavok
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had no problem finding many duplicates of green fish, it's just these blue fish that persist to not appear... I've talked to other people as well and they have noticed that they are also finding little to no blue fish also. However, I did not hear anything about the blue fish catch-rate being affected by the latest patch, or perhaps it was unintentional?

And @driosketch I found the Eltheric Grouper from Stros M'kai using worms a few weeks back when I was going around with friends, it only took a few worms actually before it appeared.
    UESP Staffer & Wiki Editor
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you telling me you can catch the Stros M'kai rare with worms now? Because I attribute that to my notion that catchable bait increases or is required for certain rare fishes.

In any case, it might be the RNG, or it might be they increased white fish drops since you can only get Roe from them.

@driosketch Yes that's what I'm saying :) I have caught the Stros M'kai blue fish with worms.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add me to the complaint list here on blue fish. I've been after the rainbow zender in stonefalls for days. 400+ casts and loads of green and bags but no blue. Foul water and river blues showed up within 100 casts each.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it rains it pours I guess. Fish are practically jumping in my boat at the moment. I've caught 3 blues in the last 2 hours. The elusive Rainbow Zender is now mounted on my wall. :0

It would be nice if the rng wasn't so fickle. Maybe they could program in some check to start bumping your odds of the blue fish if you have made a lot of casts and not pulled one in yet....sort of an adaptive probability curve for the activity. I'm a game designer myself so I know all about complaints about the rng. Getting a taste of my own medicine has been educational to say the least.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When it rains it pours I guess. Fish are practically jumping in my boat at the moment. I've caught 3 blues in the last 2 hours. The elusive Rainbow Zender is now mounted on my wall. :0

It would be nice if the rng wasn't so fickle. Maybe they could program in some check to start bumping your odds of the blue fish if you have made a lot of casts and not pulled one in yet....sort of an adaptive probability curve for the activity. I'm a game designer myself so I know all about complaints about the rng. Getting a taste of my own medicine has been educational to say the least.

This is a good illustration that catching rare fish is just down to RNG. I've been pulling plenty of rares, blue and green, but I just vendor them. I've heard reports of a thousand or more casts to get a single rare, and I've come close to that on a few fish. But fishing is bug free, at least on PC. As advised above, fishing in a group is the best way to improve odds of catching rares.

There is no evidence that caught bait (minnows, shad, roe) has a better chance of catching rares than found bait. It's my practice to use the caught bait first to free inventory slots.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know.... I just caught another pyandonean ray in Kenarthi's Roost. Caught a Nedic Eel on my first or second cast in Cold Harbor.

No perfect roe - but I probably haven't come anywhere close to 100 fish since it was initiated; and if it's only a small chance, then it will probably take a while.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • mrkoolaidhd
    i been lucky getting blue fish but when i got blue fish i always get them by useing worms
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say before the update it seems it was easier to catch all the fish. I have been going for the achievement for some time, and before i was able to complete 1 zone a night (meaning catch all the fish for the achievement). Then somewhere along the way it seems there was some kind of stealth nerf and now its more difficult to complete a zone, IE there's always that ONE fish in each zone that will take me days to fish up. I wont leave a zone till its complete.
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

This is a good illustration that catching rare fish is just down to RNG. I've been pulling plenty of rares, blue and green, but I just vendor them. I've heard reports of a thousand or more casts to get a single rare, and I've come close to that on a few fish. But fishing is bug free, at least on PC. As advised above, fishing in a group is the best way to improve odds of catching rares.

There is no evidence that caught bait (minnows, shad, roe) has a better chance of catching rares than found bait. It's my practice to use the caught bait first to free inventory slots.

I have to disagree with the chance rate going up if you fish with more than one person in a hole. I know the tip page says it does, but I really think its more efficient to fish alone. We tested this (me and three of my buddies) and it didnt seem to increase the odds at all. I caught the same amount of greens and blues that I would have alone, we just spent more time looking for hole to fish as we depleted it faster with all of us.
    Edited by Shimmer on June 29, 2015 2:47AM
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue fish are indeed tricky to pull in. So much so that when fishing alone, I basically only concern myself with catching the 'green' fish, then move on.

I save going after the blue fish when in a group. I use to try when I was alone, but have found it's much more time-efficient (not to mention enjoyable) doing so with others.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i been lucky getting blue fish but when i got blue fish i always get them by useing worms

This is very bad information. Worms are only for ocean waters. Used elsewhere may catch fish but will give you much more useless used bait.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sylance9 wrote: »
    I have to say before the update it seems it was easier to catch all the fish. I have been going for the achievement for some time, and before i was able to complete 1 zone a night (meaning catch all the fish for the achievement). Then somewhere along the way it seems there was some kind of stealth nerf and now its more difficult to complete a zone, IE there's always that ONE fish in each zone that will take me days to fish up. I wont leave a zone till its complete.

It's a matter of preference, but when I encountered a stubborn fish or two, I generally moved to another zone. RNG fluctuates and changing zones also seems to change RNG. You can stick to a single zone and hope for the best, but that is not how I got my Master Angler title. >:)
    PC/NA/DC
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylance9 wrote: »
    Ourorboros wrote: »

I have to disagree with the chance rate going up if you fish with more than one person in a hole. I know the tip page says it does, but I really think its more efficient to fish alone. We tested this (me and three of my buddies) and it didnt seem to increase the odds at all. I caught the same amount of greens and blues that I would have alone, we just spent more time looking for hole to fish as we depleted it faster with all of us.
    You're wrong. The drop rate for rare fish is very definitely higher the more people are at a hole. I've done a lot of fishing solo and a lot of fishing in groups, and you absolutely get greens and blues more often when there's a group at a hole. There are quite a few of us in my guild who enjoy fishing (for some only as a social activity), and we do fairly regular fishing events. Those of us who fish both solo and in groups in our fishing events all agree that we get a far higher chance of greens and blues per cast of the line in groups.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Bracteamentum
    I agree.
    The droprates are a disaster.
    Once, I need about 50 baits to get all blue and green from a type of water, the other time i needed up to 600.
    And more: Not a rare occurance that I get the blue fish before the second or third green fish, whih actually should be even harder to fish.
    Another phenomenon is, that I you get 10x Green Fish 1, 3x Blue fish and after a long time 1x Green Fish 2.
    I really want the achievements and perfect roe make a good income, but spending hours or even days in one zone to get them all is not challenging anymore, just disappointing.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    500+ fish today... not a single blue. OR a green for that matter. I've burned through so much bait and I've not gotten anything.