Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Templar build question

Chief40123
Chief40123
Soul Shriven
Starting my second character which is going to be an Imperial Templar. Would 2h and a staff of some kind be a good build ? Or sword and board and a staff? Suggestions are nice too. Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sword and bord + restoration staff are a good combination for pvp or heal-tanks in pve.

The only reason I know to use 2h + staff would be a magicka build where you use 2h to increase your spell damage (but even then dual wield would be better). If you want to use 2h skills, you should get another weapon that is stamina based (bow, dual wield or sword and board).
    Answer ✓
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I do dungeons and heal and tank at the same time, I usually use 5 heavy + 2 light, so yes, for that it works.
    Answer ✓
  • Chief40123
    Chief40123
    Soul Shriven
    Sword and bord + restoration staff are a good combination for pvp or heal-tanks in pve.

The only reason I know to use 2h + staff would be a magicka build where you use 2h to increase your spell damage (but even then dual wield would be better). If you want to use 2h skills, you should get another weapon that is stamina based (bow, dual wield or sword and board).

Would heavy armor be fine for this as well?
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor = used by tanks
    Medium armor = used by stamina based dps
    Light armor = used by magicka based dps and healers

There are 3 main roles in this game: dps, healer and tank.
    You can combine your char as you want, but the more mixed your build is, the more you loose out on either of the 3 roles. It depends on which groups you do dungeons with. Some groups need a templar that only focus on dps or tanking or healing, other groups don't mind or like if you can do 2 roles but not as extreme as if you only did 1 role.

Btw. imperial is not a bad choice for a templar, but it's not that good either. Redguard or orc is best for stamina templars, and breton and altmer are the best choices for magicka based templars.

Regarding weapons:
    resto staff = good for survival, solo questing and healing.
    destro staff = mandatory for magicka based dps.
    2handed = good single target dps for stamina builds, and also good to buff spell power for magicka based dps (they only spend skillpoints in passives that increases their spellpower, and never use the actual skills from 2handed skill line)
    Dual Wield = good aoe skills for stamina based dps, and also good to buff spell power for magicka based dps (they only spend skillpoints in passives that increases their spellpower, and never use the actual skills from 2handed skill line)
    Bow = only good for stamina based dps, the aoe is not the best but not useless either, great for single targets.
    1hand and shield = mandatory for tanking, good for general survival, solo questing and healing. You can block cast much longer with 1hand and shield equiped as a healer, during some fights it is worth slotting instead of the resto staff.

My general advice:
    Whatever choice you make, make sure to wear 1 piece of each armor cathegory, just to lvl up the skill lines. It makes it much easier for you to change builds later on, in case you wish to change role.
    *The Undaunted guild also provides a passive skill, that if you actually lvl up undaunted fully, you get the option to increase your health, magicka and stamina by 2% for each armor type equipped. My templar uses lightarmor normally, and I put in 1 heavy and 1 medium, my overall boost is 6% extra health, magicka and stamina.