The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nerfing Ebon and Worm cult? REALLY?

Axer
Axer
✭✭✭✭
This games loot is insanely boring and bland.

to the point, people simply don't care to run the trials or dungeons that much. There is simply nothing to strive for. It's practically impossible to get a group for VR dungeons lately, much less one who would actually have any chance at completing.

Yet the two useful, EXTREMELY HARD to acquire sets you are nerfing?

Seriously?

Theres almost no enjoyement of getting loot at endgame currently. But I did want the ebon set for its 5 set bonuses as it's pretty weak, but at least somewhat useful for large groups.

And your nerfing that.

Ruining the one reason to get a rare armor set.

Extremely poor choice ZO.

Why ruin the only reason to grind VR dungeons.

(and no one cares about the garbage medium armor set bonus, so nerfing that is pretty irrelevant)
Edited by Axer on June 17, 2014 1:10PM
Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread will get next to no replies.

Why?

next to no players have these complete sets.

They are insanely rare and hard to complete.

Things THIS RARE should not even be up for consideration for nerfs. Especially when they simply are not that strong.

The set bonuses are pretty tiny.
    +100 health for group. Average endgame player has 2400-3000 health in the first place, so its a pretty small boost.
    -8% costs for group. Average player has -20-40% costs already from light armor/jewls.
    Neither stack if multiple people wear the sets.

I feel ike you guys are just on a nerf rampage. Making everything and anything you can weaker to keep the game as bland and low powered as possible. No justification for this one.
    Edited by Axer on June 17, 2014 1:14PM
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭
    Axer wrote: »

Why?

Things THIS RARE should not even be up for consideration for nerfs. Especially when they simply are not that strong.

+100 health for group. Average endgame player has 2400-3000 health in the first place, so its a pretty small boost.
    -8% costs for group. Average player has -20-40% costs already from light armor/jewls.

I feel ike you guys are just on a nerf rampage. Making everything and anything you can weaker to keep the game as bland and low powered as possible. No justification for this one.

100 health might be tiny but -8% SCR is massive and unlike the +100 Health actually gets better the more SCR each player already has.

Think of it this way, if you have 1500 health then +100 represents +6.67% health, if you have 2500 health then +4% health.

With the worm cult set, if you have no SCR then 8% reduction brings your costs from 100% to 92 % - an 8% reduction. If you have 20% reduction already your costs drop from 80% to 72% which is a 10% reduction. if you have 40% reduction already your costs drop from 60% to 52%, a 13% reduction.

• Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mystborn wrote: »

Why?

100 health might be tiny but -8% SCR is massive and unlike the +100 Health actually gets better the more SCR each player already has.

Think of it this way, if you have 1500 health then +100 represents +6.67% health, if you have 2500 health then +4% health.

With the worm cult set, if you have no SCR then 8% reduction brings your costs from 100% to 92 % - an 8% reduction. If you have 20% reduction already your costs drop from 80% to 72% which is a 10% reduction. if you have 40% reduction already your costs drop from 60% to 52%, a 13% reduction.
    Disagree.

A "massive" bonus is something you will notice have a massive impact on players DPS.

Someone wearing a worm cult set in a trial or not, is something 99% players wont even notice.

I also don't agree with your math, it's all made up with zero evidence. Exactly how it multiples ive not tested, but im pretty confidet it does it in the worst possible way, not the way you say.

You're even wrong about ebon.

A player with 2500 health will hit the overcharge limit, thus only really gain about +2% health.

if anything, these set bonuses are already very weak and bland, and should be buffed. The fact they don't have traits for example makes zero sesne. Nerfing them is ridiculous. They need to be given traits at the very least.
    Edited by Axer on June 17, 2014 3:17PM
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭

Why?

Disagree.

A "massive" bonus is something you will notice have a massive impact on players DPS.

Someone wearing a worm cult set in a trial or not, is something 99% players wont even notice.

I also don't agree with your math, it's all made up with zero evidence. Exactly how it multiples ive not tested, but im pretty confidet it does it in the worst possible way, not the way you say.

You're even wrong about ebon.

A player with 2500 health will hit the overcharge limit, thus only really gain about +2% health.

if anything, these set bonuses are already very weak and bland, and should be buffed. The fact they don't have traits for example makes zero sesne. Nerfing them is ridiculous. They need to be given traits at the very least.

Just because you never bothered to test how SCR works doesn't mean others haven't. My math is exactly how % based SCR works, feel free to check it in game or in my video on youtube explaining how SCR works. All % based modifications to spell cost are netted and applied to the cost of your spell (after flat SCR is applied).

You are absolutely correct in that they should definitely have traits though.
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just because you never bothered to test how SCR works doesn't mean others haven't. My math is exactly how % based SCR works, feel free to check it in game or in my video on youtube explaining how SCR works. All % based modifications to spell cost are netted and applied to the cost of your spell (after flat SCR is applied).

And likewise because you tested some specific thing called SCR that is pretty much a made up thing doesnt mean you have any idea how worm cult works. Your whatever tests are irrelevant to one specific set bonus. Each item in the game can work differently, so unless you have the full worm cult, you are just making crap up.

I have the full worm cult set. It reduces my costs by exactly 8%. Not more, not less.

All the math mumbo jumbo your talking makes zero sense and is irrelevant to this topic.

Your just trying to use numbers in some weird way to troll.

I get it, you hate worm cult and want the set nerfed to oblivion. No need to make up nonesense to try and up your opinion.

Players like myself that actually have and use it, understand it's not very powerful at all, and not deserving of any nerfs.
    Edited by Axer on June 17, 2014 4:04PM
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭

And likewise because you tested some specific thing called SCR that is pretty much a made up thing doesnt mean you have any idea how worm cult works. Your whatever tests are irrelevant to one specific set bonus. Each item in the game can work differently, so unless you have the full worm cult, you are just making crap up.

I have the full worm cult set. It reduces my costs by exactly 8%. Not more, not less.

All the math mumbo jumbo your talking makes zero sense and is irrelevant to this topic.

Your just trying to use numbers in some weird way to troll.

I get it, you hate worm cult and want the set nerfed to oblivion. No need to make up nonesense to try and up your opinion.

Players like myself that actually have and use it, understand it's not very powerful at all, and not deserving of any nerfs.

Worm Cult reduces your cost by 8% of the base cost, just like 7/7 Light armour reduces yoru costs by 21% of the base cost, and Seducer reduces by 3% of the base cost.

So if an ability costs 400 Magicka, then you put on 7/7 Light armour and Seducer it's going to reduce by 24% to 304 Magicka.

If you then benefit from Worm Cult then your SCR (Spell Cost Reduction) is now 32% so your spell costs 272 Magicka.

The thing is that 272/304 = ~89.5%

Or to take it to an extreme example just to illustrate my "math mumbo jumbo", if you had 84% SCR your 400 Magicka spell would cost 64 Magicka, adding another 8% SCR from Worm Cult would mean you have 92% SCR and your spell would cost 32 Magicka - cutting your cost without Worm Cult in half! Yes I know this isn't a likely circumstance in a post Vampire Nerf environment but it does illustrate how every % of SCR you add is better than the last.

You also don't "get it" when it comes to my opinion on wormcult, I don't hate wormcult - I love it!
  • Postumus
    Postumus
    Gotta love when people get angry when confronted by math. Instead of trying to follow the equations, just casting doubt on the conclusion. Go public school system!

On a serious note, 8% cost reduction is pretty significant. It is certainly better than the standard 5% spell crit, or the useless weapon damage buffs on some sets. A little nerf doesn't sound like the end of the world here.
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'd still rather it not get nerfed =) or if it was going to get nerfed have them nerf something we can measure - like the actual SCR. The problem with the ambiguous amorphous nerf is we have no idea how many it's supposed to affect now and how it's going to determine who gets the benefit.
  • Stamden
    Stamden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im done with this game. No end-game gear at all. Trial gear all sucks, and no they wasted the time I spent farming these sets. Terrible decisions ZoS what are you thinking.
    PC NA

~Currently taking a break from the game until my DK can become something more than just a crafter~
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'd still rather it not get nerfed =) or if it was going to get nerfed have them nerf something we can measure - like the actual SCR. The problem with the ambiguous amorphous nerf is we have no idea how many it's supposed to affect now and how it's going to determine who gets the benefit.

Your have an EXTREMELY badwards way of showing it.

All you did the whole thread is fill it with math to support the nerf in the most extreme possible way.

You clearly in an 110% way want this set nerfed into oblvion.

Else why are you posting such off topic stuff about it?

No one cares about the math. We care that the set doesn't deserves a nerf.

Either post in agree-ance, or disagree. Don't post off topic nonsense is all I asked.

-Axer (Finished top of his class in math, still hates math)
    Edited by Axer on June 18, 2014 6:13AM
  • ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭
    I've done more than 30 runs in VR dungeon, I have allmost all success (maybe I miss some killing sucess) and I looted once the healer ring and never loot any light armor... Basically, I would have to run those dungeon more than a 100 times to get full set... NOT A CHANCE
  • Ethyem
    Ethyem
    Soul Shriven
    Well, just for info, we did run sewers for about 100 times and more with 2 constant people and 2 changing. We did achievement for bone colossus for 1 man and then again for another and since it seems bugged and counts only named colossus, it's 80 runs and after that a a lot more.
    My buddy got full worm cult set (though not desirable pieces), i got 3 pieces of worm cult (not counting 4 belts and 3 helmets) and both got 2-4 pieces from other armor sets.
    So it's really somewhat rare and, if it would be nerfed, also useless.
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethyem wrote: »
    Well, just for info, we did run sewers for about 100 times and more with 2 constant people and 2 changing. We did achievement for bone colossus for 1 man and then again for another and since it seems bugged and counts only named colossus, it's 80 runs and after that a a lot more.
    My buddy got full worm cult set (though not desirable pieces), i got 3 pieces of worm cult (not counting 4 belts and 3 helmets) and both got 2-4 pieces from other armor sets.
    So it's really somewhat rare and, if it would be nerfed, also useless.

I think you were actually extremely lucky.

I don't even want to admin how many way rest I had to run for my v10 ebon. It's almost embarrassing.

not that I even remember.

But that bone collosus achievement? I had that when I only had 1 piece. I had prett much every dungeon achievement in the game before I got 3 pieces. Even the freakin 10 million healing - on a character with no resto staff skill... (purely templar tank/red diamond heals)

Somewhere in the 2,000+ eligible boss kill range. Over more then a month of HARDCORE non stop VR dungeons.

I did manage to amass like 3 wormcult sets in that time, but yea my luck for what I actually wanted was appalling.

Also to this day, I don't have the sword I want, nor the resto staff set.

The drop rates are INSANELY bad.

(Well they are actually high to get A named item, just the loot table is a massive mess, so getting the ones you want is extremely tedious)

Sets this hard to get should not be nerfed.
    Edited by Axer on June 18, 2014 1:42PM
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭

All you did the whole thread is fill it with math to support the nerf in the most extreme possible way.

Either post in agree-ance, or disagree. Don't post off topic nonsense is all I asked.

No one cares about the math?

Posts about the set bonus you made the thread about are off topic?

I understand you're clearly very butthurt about this change but at this point can you even explain what they changed and why you don't like that change?

For someone who feels the set bonus is:
    pretty weak
    not that strong.
    pretty tiny.
    a pretty small boost.
    99% players wont even notice.
    very weak and bland.
    not very powerful at all.

You are certainly very upset about the changes.

On the other hand *I* think the set is (currently) pretty good, good enough to wear even if it doesn't have traits (btw ZoS, there is no excuse for it not having traits - fix this). I don't think it should be nerfed but I'd like to know exactly what they are doing to it.
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it should be nerfed but I'd like to know exactly what they are doing to it.

It's pretty obvious dude. Doesn't take a math scientist to read between the lines on this one.

It's being nerfed to only function on 4 players.
    EG: Not worth using in trials.

They want everyone in trials using bland and boring old crafted gear, with 1 player in aether. Pretty boring design imo.
    Edited by Axer on June 18, 2014 1:50PM
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭
    They want everyone in trials using bland and boring old crafted gear

Do you actually think that? Why do you think that is something they want?

See that just doesn't make sense to me. Now you may respond "Blah Blah ZoS doesn't need to make sense they just Nerf everything to make me mad Rawr Rawr" but honestly, that just can't be the case. Now I'm not saying I agree with what they do or their reasons for doing it but just lashing out and stamping one's feet like a toddler having a tantrum doesn't get anywhere and the hyperbole and rhetoric just get in the way of any kind of meaningful discussion.

I don't think ZoS made this change because they want to see everyone using "bland and boring old crafted gear".
    It's pretty obvious dude. Doesn't take a math scientist to read between the lines on this one.

It's being nerfed to only function on 4 players.
    EG: Not worth using in trials.

See my guess was 6 players and before I jump to the conclusion of it being not worth using in trials I'd like to know how many players and *how the game determines those players*

Since we don't have a way to arrange our large group into smaller sub groups it can't apply the effect that way. Will it be the closest X players to us? If there are two people with the set will each person's set pick different players or might we lose some in the overlap?
  • Kraven
    Kraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a tank not a big fan of the Ebon set any way. Health is already over soft cap so very little personal benefit to 3 & 5 piece set bonus. Increased healing taken is nice it's why I like the 3 piece Twilight set tanking but the lack of traits like impenetrable easily has me preferring crafted set bonuses for tanking. Don't understand the point of Health recovery on the 'tank' sets for that matter. Max recovery you're not going to naturally out regen the incoming damage.

As it stands Magicka has the best and most options for set bonuses, followed by tanks (just think outside of the basics) and finally by melee dps. Making the dropped set bonuses from VR dungeons not worth the effort it takes to get a full set. Specially with Trials on exploit farm status.
    V14 - IMPERIAL NIGHTBLADE - DPS/TANK
    V13 - BRETON SORCERER - HEALS/DPS
    V2 - REDGUARD DRAGONKNIGHT - MELEE DPS
    V1 - BRETON TEMPLAR - TANK/DPS

to be continued... Nevermind, no longer "to be continued"
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭
    Kraven wrote: »
    As a tank not a big fan of the Ebon set any way. Health is already over soft cap so very little personal benefit to 3 & 5 piece set bonus. Increased healing taken is nice it's why I like the 3 piece Twilight set tanking but the lack of traits like impenetrable easily has me preferring crafted set bonuses for tanking. Don't understand the point of Health recovery on the 'tank' sets for that matter. Max recovery you're not going to naturally out regen the incoming damage.

As it stands Magicka has the best and most options for set bonuses, followed by tanks (just think outside of the basics) and finally by melee dps. Making the dropped set bonuses from VR dungeons not worth the effort it takes to get a full set. Specially with Trials on exploit farm status.

For tanking you don't want Impenetrable, PvE mobs can't crit so the Crit Resistance is worthless.
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭

No one cares about the math?

Posts about the set bonus you made the thread about are off topic?

I understand you're clearly very butthurt about this change but at this point can you even explain what they changed and why you don't like that change?

For someone who feels the set bonus is:
    pretty weak
    not that strong.
    pretty tiny.
    a pretty small boost.
    99% players wont even notice.
    very weak and bland.
    not very powerful at all.

You are certainly very upset about the changes.

On the other hand *I* think the set is (currently) pretty good, good enough to wear even if it doesn't have traits (btw ZoS, there is no excuse for it not having traits - fix this). I don't think it should be nerfed but I'd like to know exactly what they are doing to it.

nonono myst... how can you say that it is a good set... it's obvious that all those top riding guilds list it as the SECOND BEST IN SLOT (after the aether that also need only one player to use it in order for the whole raid to take full benefit) only to troll others... [/sarcasm off]

if people really need to have it explained to them any more how good an 8% cost reduction is... and not only for you but for all the group... really I don't know what else to say...

Actualy I feel that if the change is really of it only affecting a max of 4 character it still is quite an amazing set... now we only need the ability for raid leader to manage group position in order to set one worm user per party...

on the other hand since having multiple warm user will now be of use I really hope they would do something about the drop rate/untradability of this set... at least the ability to trade it within the party that got the boss kill will really help a lot :/
  • Kraven
    Kraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For tanking you don't want Impenetrable, PvE mobs can't crit so the Crit Resistance is worthless.

Was simply using Imp as an example. Stating that the lack of any trait at all on top of the difficulty in farming a full set and then the lack luster set bonuses, ends up with these sets being obsolete. If you do absolutely nothing but vet dungeons from V1-6 you will still out level the V5 set before you have a complete one, the same is true of the V10 set.

Compare the V10 sets with Crafted, you can be outfitted in legendary crafted with 2-3 set bonuses with traits and enchants hand chosen. It would take less time to farm the money to buy each item from a crafter than it would take you to farm a set of these particular dropped items. Add in the fact these items are bind on pick up so can't be sold or traded...
    V14 - IMPERIAL NIGHTBLADE - DPS/TANK
    V13 - BRETON SORCERER - HEALS/DPS
    V2 - REDGUARD DRAGONKNIGHT - MELEE DPS
    V1 - BRETON TEMPLAR - TANK/DPS

to be continued... Nevermind, no longer "to be continued"
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just point out some thread I opened about rewards. I would appreciate it if you guys could let there some ideas about interesting loots and how the dungeon system could be revamped : http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/985718/#Comment_985718

I think making suggestions and postitive feedback is the way to go too.
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on June 19, 2014 3:42PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭

Was simply using Imp as an example. Stating that the lack of any trait at all on top of the difficulty in farming a full set and then the lack luster set bonuses, ends up with these sets being obsolete. If you do absolutely nothing but vet dungeons from V1-6 you will still out level the V5 set before you have a complete one, the same is true of the V10 set.

Compare the V10 sets with Crafted, you can be outfitted in legendary crafted with 2-3 set bonuses with traits and enchants hand chosen. It would take less time to farm the money to buy each item from a crafter than it would take you to farm a set of these particular dropped items. Add in the fact these items are bind on pick up so can't be sold or traded...

Yeah no doubt, it's hard to acquire and tedious - not to mention heartbreaking when the pieces you need finally do drop and it's for someone else in the group who either doesn't use that armour or who has 4 of that slot already.

No traits is also terrible, I would love to know if this is "working as intended" or just a bug they havent got around to fixing yet @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ any insight there?

Yeah, you can be geared in legendary crafted much easier than getting these but the thing is, no other set gives the raw benefit that 8% SCR for the *entire raid* does. Bear in mind you also get the +Max Magicka and +10 healing recvd set bonuses for 3&4piece. Honestly, I feel it is so good that I don't even feel bad that 2 of my Worm Cult pieces are VR5 - heck, I'd wear a full 5 piece VR5 Worm Cult (no trait and all) if that's what I had to do to give that 8% SCR to my group.
  • Andferne
    Andferne
    ✭✭✭
    First and foremost I would like to agree and comment that these sets need to have a Trait added to them. If you are going to 'Nerf' these sets then at the very least give them their Traits.

As for my opinion for the sets only benefiting 4 group members. I am perfectly fine with that. Originally when I found out about those sets that is all I thought they would benefit.

Now with how rare it is to get a full set of these items. I would like to see them stack if multiple people from the group are wearing them. Especially since only four people can benefit from the 'Group' bonus anyways.

I think that the set is rare enough and hard enough to obtain that it warrants a good motivation to try and achieve.
  • Novustratum
    Novustratum
    ✭✭
    After I read all of these posts, I basically summarized Axer saying this:

"Look at me! I have these full very-hard-to-get sets! I want them to be stronger! I don't care about your math that shows why they aren't that bad. You're defending their nerf just because you don't agree with me! I'm simple/narrow minded, rargh!"
    Success comes from experience, experience comes from failure, failure comes from trying.
  • Shadow-Fighter
    Shadow-Fighter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this topic is old ^^
    Natch Potes is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get