Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trolling

hawkeye56
hawkeye56
Is there a way to help stop all the people trolling, cause last night was the 5th time it has happen to me an I was trying to complete a quest for over 3 hrs cause of it an still was not able to complete it.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    In general this answer can't be answered and it depends a lot on the situation.

In most situations people have the right to play the game as they want to play it. So there is no room for actions from GM's cause they aren't doing anything wrong.

The main issue is that trolling is a subjective term to start with. It means that someone behaviour is annoying you where you accuse this person of doing it intentionally.

A few examples and how situations can differ:

1: role players. Some breed of role players like to stand in central places and "yell" lines to eachother. This is annoying like hell cause of the chat colour yells have and eventhough they claim to be roleplayers, I have a strong feeling they do intentionally to annoy people. But it is a free world and besides ignoring/blocking there is nothing I can do.

2: kill stealing. This happened to a mate. He was powerlevelling in reapers march at level 40 and two others came and where attacking everything before his nose. He reacted in /local chat and asked if they would mind going somehwere else cause he was there first. He was treated with the motherload of agryness and offensive language. So he switched to his VR14 character with a firestaff and made sure all the foes in a mile distances where killed before hey even had a change to kill a single one. Atfer 5 minutes they left again aqnd the issue was resolved.

3: The Prisoner of Jathsogur
    This quest has severe issues on the console cause people don't know how to do it. You also are incorrect to call them trolls, cause there isn't anyway to contact them and explain it to them (and they don't have to believe you anyways). There is a patch in the making, but it has to be verified by sony and microsoft, so it takes time before it can roll out. If the known work arounds doesn't work cause people there don't know bout it, use some other methods, like skipping it for now (you can still finish all but one other quest in Malabal Tor and all quests in Reaper's march). The best change to do it is at odd times (like early mornings) or when the patch is finally here.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    hawkeye56 wrote: »
    Is there a way to help stop all the people trolling, cause last night was the 5th time it has happen to me an I was trying to complete a quest for over 3 hrs cause of it an still was not able to complete it.

If someone is legitimately trolling you and it can be proven, you can report them in game. A GM will take a look at your report and determine if it is actionable. Depending on the degree of the offense, the person could be warned, temporarily banned, or perma-banned. Because the person trolling you is a paying customer entitled to privacy, you will never hear what action was or was not taken.

If someone is using chat or mail to troll/harass you, in addition to reporting, you can also ignore that player so you no longer see communication from them. At least this option is available on PC/Mac, so I assume that it can be done on console too.

If you are on console, I believe you can also report the player to Sony or Microsoft. I have never played ESO on a console, but I know I have done that in a couple of cases for other games I played on Xbox.

As @Ranique said above, trolling is subjective. What you consider trolling might be considered playing by the other user. It may also be ignorance or poor MMO-etiquette. While annoying, done of these things will warrant disciplinary action. If you think the action may be the result of ignorance (remember there are a fair amount of console players who have never played an MMO), I have found that if you politely inform the person that they are doing something incorrectly (and inadvertently bugging the quest), they are usually willing to listen to your suggestions. Not always of course lol

If you are unsure about whether the player was really "trolling" or not, please feel free to post and we can weigh in and help you decide :)