Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Solved] Is it really armor tiers that is causing random colors?

freddiebox
freddiebox
✭✭
Been very cautious lately when converting armor to imperial style, due to the fact it will change the armor into a random color. The other day I converted some armor into imperial style and it turned out green which I didn't want at all. Today I crafted a set of steel armor which turned out beige... I just want the default red imperial style, how hard can it be? I have tried to dye it, but I don't have any colors yet that match the standard red of the imperials.
Edited by freddiebox on July 4, 2015 5:31PM

Best Answer

• Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't use the imperial motif much so I can't give you any help there. Most people dye their gear, so I'm not sure how many other people can help you :(

ESO Fashion shows some of the default colors at different gear levels and tiers. You could try looking on their website. If I recall correctly it uses the terms normal, fine, superior, epic, and legendary instead of white, green, blue, purple, and yellow (or gold) when talking about the different tiers.

Another option might be to look in game at what achievements give red dyes and then try to get those achievements completed.
    Answer ✓
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welp, you can try dyeing your armor
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • freddiebox
    freddiebox
    ✭✭
    NotSo wrote: »
    Welp, you can try dyeing your armor
    Well, I was wondering if there is any way at all to see and know which armor tier I'm currently in for me to not unnecessarily convert armor.
  • iTzStevey
    iTzStevey
    ✭✭✭
    There's a website called ESO fashion, i ise it to preview armors in different tiers, it tells you the material used to make the armor aswell as what level that particular style is obtained, hope this helped. :)
  • freddiebox
    freddiebox
    ✭✭
    iTzStevey wrote: »
    There's a website called ESO fashion, i ise it to preview armors in different tiers, it tells you the material used to make the armor aswell as what level that particular style is obtained, hope this helped. :)
    I could be wrong, but on that site I can't find any greenish looking Imperial armor... I still don't understand why the game insist to throw random colors at me when crafting. I just use regular iron or steel ingots and the requirement to craft Imperial armor. And like I said this also happens if I try to convert a random looted armor, I never get the standard red color. :3
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zos mentioned that they were working on an armor preview system so you could see what any armor piece might look like before converting/crafting/equipping. But I wouldn't count on that releasing any time soon.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    The material (iron, steel, etc.), the tier (green, blue, purple, etc.), and the style (imperial, high elf, argonian, etc.) affect the default colors.

My observation is that (in most cases) the default color conforms to the tier of the items color. For example, white tier items tend to be more white, beige, or sometimes pinky in color. Green tier items are often green or teal in color. Blue tier items tend to be shades of blue. Purple tier items are purple or pink in color.

YMMV, as I have not worn items from every style motif or items from any style motif at all gear tiers/levels.

But it summary, yes it is the material and tier that affect default gear color.

• freddiebox
    freddiebox
    ✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    The material (iron, steel, etc.), the tier (green, blue, purple, etc.), and the style (imperial, high elf, argonian, etc.) affect the default colors.

My observation is that (in most cases) the default color conforms to the tier of the items color. For example, white tier items tend to be more white, beige, or sometimes pinky in color. Green tier items are often green or teal in color. Blue tier items tend to be shades of blue. Purple tier items are purple or pink in color.

YMMV, as I have not worn items from every style motif or items from any style motif at all gear tiers/levels.

But it summary, yes it is the material and tier that affect default gear color.
    Right, then I'm going to change my inquiry. What material and tier should I use to just get the regular Imperial red plain and simple? :neutral:
  • freddiebox
    freddiebox
    ✭✭
    Well, I have learned to accept the fact that armor will change color depending on tiers and original material and color. Found a dye color that is satisfying. And I thank everyone for the help, or should I say insight. :)

6964f6c.jpg
    Edited by freddiebox on July 4, 2015 5:32PM