The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Traits Basics

MilwaukeeScott
MilwaukeeScott
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, I'm a noob. Real noob, lvl 7. I want to be an Orc that crafts and fights with a sword and shield. I'm doing all the crafts. I think I already screwed up my wood working. Before I read enough to know what I was doing, I research Training on a bow. I will never use a bow. I would prefer this to be on a sword or shield. Am I screwed?

It's early enough that I could start a new character rather than regretting this 6 months from now.

Thanks for your help!
PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trait research doubles for each trait on an item. Each new item you research starts at 6 hours. So, the fact that you learned a trait on one item has no effect on any other ones. Don't worry about it.

And, how you know you will never use a Bow?

Anyway, see this:
    Nestor wrote: »
    Here are some hints to researching Traits.

1. You only need to know 2 to 3 traits to start making some powerful crafted gear. Most of my VR characters use a 3 Trait set. The amount of time to learn a trait doubles for the second one, doubles again for the third etc. So, learn the two traits on each piece you will want to craft first before learning the third traits. Learn the third before learning the 4th. The best crafted sets in the game only require 6 traits, so don't start chasing the 7th and 8th traits until you know the 6th traits in all the things you want to craft.
    2. Unlock the Research Passive to allow for more items to be researched in less time
    3. The most useful traits on armor are Infused, Divines and Impenetrable. Nirn is good, but you need 20,000+ gold to even play on that table (to buy the trait stones). For weapons, Precise and Sharpened are the way to go. Training is good for anything. So concentrate on those traits first and foremost before researching the other ones.
    4. Get the Addon Research Assistant so you don't deconstruct or sell something you need to research.
    5. If you can't get the item you want for research from loot, then buy it in a guild store. Items made to be researched sell between 200 and 500 gold, try to find the cheaper ones. You can even find them less. It does not matter what level the item is, just that it has the traits that you want. Awesome Guild Store addon can help you find specific traited items.
    6. If the item does not have a trait you need, or one your going to soon research, deconstruct it. You get crafting experience to level the craft line and you get trait stones and other things to make stuff with.
    7. Join a Guild like Lone Wolf Help or similar as we run crafting nights where we make traited items for people to research.
    [/quote]

Edited by Nestor on June 29, 2015 3:15PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, you can research a trait for bow plus then start researching a trait on sword. If you'd like, I have a video all about what the traits do and explaining researching, although Nestor has listed quite a few great tips.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1649882/#Comment_1649882
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the super fast reply and link!

So I Will be able to research Training for a shield or sword?

Thanks for your help!
    PS4NA

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your help!

Since I'm assuming you don't have the passives yet, you will need to wait for your bow research to finish before you can start researching a trait on shield. (There is a passive that lessens the time of research, plus allows you to research more items at once)

Although sword, as long as you are not researching any other blacksmithing items - go for it! Just remember, to research a trait for sword you need a SWORD with that trait on it.. not just any weapon.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your help!

Sure, you just need to find an item with that trait on it. Guild Stores, Kiosks or Guild Mates are the most reliable source. Loot is the next source, but it's all RNG to get the trait you want when you need it.

Also, on the consoles, make a spread sheet to keep track of what you know, what your learning and what you want to learn. There are some premade spreadsheets on the web, but most links are old.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again! MissBizz and Nestor, I have been watching your videos and reading your guides these last 3 days. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into them.

Soooo much to learn!!! I just retired and am an old gaming junkie. I think I'm going to love this game!

I'm on PS4. Is there a place to check my character online?

Thank you both very much!
    PS4NA

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again! MissBizz and Nestor, I have been watching your videos and reading your guides these last 3 days. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into them.

Soooo much to learn!!! I just retired and am an old gaming junkie. I think I'm going to love this game!

I'm on PS4. Is there a place to check my character online?

Thank you both very much!

No sorry, there is no where to check out your character outside of the game. Feel free to ask any questions you have, Nestor is extremely knowledgeable about many things in the game and is always answering questions :)
  • TheGuren
    TheGuren
    Hello ppl,
    I have the game for the PS4 so I'm a noob, and have a noob question to make :)
    Can we add more than one trait to the any item?

Tks
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, and no you can only apply one trait to each item. You can however wear different items with different traits.

Also don't use 1hand and shield skill line for dps, it is ment for tanking and it brings your dps down a lot. Go with 2handed weapons, bow or 2 x swords/daggers to be able to use dual wield skills for dps.

I started out in this game with 1hand and shield dps though, it took me some time to figure out it was ment for tanking ^^
  • TheGuren
    TheGuren
    Tks for the answer. About dps I'm using a two-hand sword I know its not the best but its better than 1 hand and shield :)
    Edited by TheGuren on July 1, 2015 6:26PM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That part was for OP, since he mentioned he uses sword and shield.... if you use a two handed sword, then you're good :D
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That part was for OP, since he mentioned he uses sword and shield.... if you use a two handed sword, then you're good :D

What traits would vital to a Two Handed Orc?
    PS4NA

• failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS mainly go with sharpened or precise or nirnhooned - I advice not using nirnhooned, as the trait stone itself costs around 20.000g, use that later when you are levelled up to v14.
    .....although In case you haven't trained it to lvl 50 yet, then go with training trait. Use training trait on your armor as well, and wear 1 piece of each armor type, to lvl them all up. It comes in handy in the future, in case you wish to change your role in the game.

Below is a list of the popular, good and useful traits. Start out researching these, then go on to research the others later.

For researching armor traits:
    Training
    Divines
    Infused
    Reinforced
    Nirnhooned

Useless armor traits very few uses, and no one should ever use, but is good to research:
    sturdy
    impenetrable
    well-fitted
    exploration (can be good on a lvl 3 char, if you wear it just to run around in areas to lvl up fast, then go questing afterwards, but it is much less effective to lvl up fast in the beginning than its alternatives.)

For researching weapon traits:
    Training
    Sharpened
    Precise
    Infused (only good for restoration staff really, because healers draw magicka with their restoration staff and this trait can come in handy in situations where weapon crit and armor penetration is less important than keeping the team alive.)
    Nirnhooned

Useless weapon traits very few uses, and no one should ever use, but is good to research:
    Powered
    Charged
    Defending
    Weighted
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on July 2, 2015 8:11AM
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    failkiwib16_ESO, thank you so very, very much! There is so much to learn, you've saved me hours and hours. Heck, you've probably saved me days with your post above!
    PS4NA

• failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    failkiwib16_ESO, thank you so very, very much! There is so much to learn, you've saved me hours and hours. Heck, you've probably saved me days with your post above!

I struggled with all of this back when I started out. I am glad I can be of use today, and spare others from going through all my mistakes. :)
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    failkiwib16_ESO, your guide has Training for Weapons listed has Good and Useless. Typho I'm assuming.

Which category would you put it into?
    PS4NA

• failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    failkiwib16_ESO, your guide has Training for Weapons listed has Good and Useless. Typho I'm assuming.

Which category would you put it into?

Sorry, there I fixed it ... training is the best one to start out with, so you can craft something useful for yourself while you're low level and is still not lvl 50 in the specific weapon skill line. It is good.

Thanks for pointing it out for me :dizzy: