The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Big patches such as Imperial City are for free?

• Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    Xendyn wrote: »
    daemonios wrote: »
    I loooove the smell of schadenfreude in the morning.

So, the same community who allegedly "begged" ZOS to make the game F2P (or B2P, if you care about the distinction) is now begging for free content. Priceless.

P.S. If it were up to me, the game would still be subscription only and all content would be free.

Yeh we never could figure out exactly who that "community" was. Sure wasn't us here.

Elder Scrolls Online's FB page. Ever since launch, pretty much every official post there had multiple comments about "Free to play, please!" "You MUST make this Free NOW!" etc etc etc

As i said, it wasn't us here.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carde wrote: »
    Gidorick wrote: »
    When Firor compares what Elder Scrolls will offer its premium players to free offerings, he brings up issues that F2P titles once had in abundance, yet are not as prevelant now. "Elder Scrolls is about being in a giant world, where you’re exploring, and you go to a dungeon, and you don’t get a paygate in front of you saying you don’t have this dungeon," Firor says. "Which means, to us, you need to monetise it outside of the game." While paygates are increasingly less common, some barriers still persist. Certainly, the penny-pinching tactics found in The Old Republic are not desirable.

And there's something to be said about not being confronted with extra costs while in the game itself. "You go outside the game, you pay your month, you go in the game, and when you’re in the game, you’re in the game," Firor clarifies. "There’s no real world stuff reaching in to grab you." Few things break immersion quicker than a game telling you that you can spend cash to unlock chests or get special gear.

Source?

http://www.pcgamesn.com/elderscrolls/matt-firor-justifies-elder-scrolls-subscriptions-we-re-not-worried-about-getting-people-door

Thanks... but man, that's from when they were pushing Subscription. You can't take ANY of that anymore. Yea he said it. Yea ESO went B2P. Yea foots are in mouths.

We're bitter, but we moved on.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingRebz wrote: »
    Title says it all.
    free-lunch2.jpg

Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
    Options
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When Firor compares what Elder Scrolls will offer its premium players to free offerings, he brings up issues that F2P titles once had in abundance, yet are not as prevelant now. "Elder Scrolls is about being in a giant world, where you’re exploring, and you go to a dungeon, and you don’t get a paygate in front of you saying you don’t have this dungeon," Firor says. "Which means, to us, you need to monetise it outside of the game." While paygates are increasingly less common, some barriers still persist. Certainly, the penny-pinching tactics found in The Old Republic are not desirable.

And there's something to be said about not being confronted with extra costs while in the game itself. "You go outside the game, you pay your month, you go in the game, and when you’re in the game, you’re in the game," Firor clarifies. "There’s no real world stuff reaching in to grab you." Few things break immersion quicker than a game telling you that you can spend cash to unlock chests or get special gear.

Source?

http://www.pcgamesn.com/elderscrolls/matt-firor-justifies-elder-scrolls-subscriptions-we-re-not-worried-about-getting-people-door

Thanks... but man, that's from when they were pushing Subscription. You can't take ANY of that anymore. Yea he said it. Yea ESO went B2P. Yea foots are in mouths.

We're bitter, but we moved on.

Yeah, the quote just really felt appropriate here. People wondering where the paygates are going to start raising and remembering it made me laugh.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
    Options
  • ElricFrancis
    ElricFrancis
    ✭✭
    Xendyn wrote: »
    daemonios wrote: »
    I loooove the smell of schadenfreude in the morning.

So, the same community who allegedly "begged" ZOS to make the game F2P (or B2P, if you care about the distinction) is now begging for free content. Priceless.

P.S. If it were up to me, the game would still be subscription only and all content would be free.

Yeh we never could figure out exactly who that "community" was. Sure wasn't us here.

You SHOULD sub @ElricFrancis. Sometimes.

My plan:
    1: Sub for 1 month when DLC is released
    2: Play DLC for 1 month (likely finish DLC)
    3: If I want that DLC for keeps, put 1500 Crowns toward purchase
    4: Repeat whenever DLC is released.
    5: Buy 5500 Crown packs for $40 otherwise
    6: Profit

This. Since you're just renting with a sub anyway, I'll play it for a month and see if it is actually Worth buying.
    Which for me, won't be unless there is actually some necessary or interesting replayability factor involved.

If we had a LFG system in place from the mid 2K and on we'd have more real content.
    Previous MMOs: Everquest Fennin Ro 99-04 / Star Wars Galaxy Wanderhome 03-04
    World of Warcraft Whisperwind 04-12 / FF 14: ARR 14
    Named Usually: Realmreaver
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    The biggest 'screw you' that ZOS could give the PvP community is by making the Imperial City a paid DLC.
    I don't disagree with that. Also, as I've said in a few other places, I don't think Imperial City would fit in with their vision for DLC anyway. They want DLC to be available to all as soon as it is purchased, and that's not possible with Imperial City due to the keep-control access requirements.

To the original question, updates that are DLC will not be free - we already know that Wrothgar/Orsinium, the Thieves Guild, and the Dark Brotherhood will be DLC. Updates that are to "gameplay" will be free - this would include Justice PvP. Spellcrafting, Jewellery Crafting and Horse Racing, if any of those things ever exist.

Things that are on the will they/won't they line are those pieces of new content that have in-game access restrictions, including Imperial City (which has a keep control requirement) and Murkmire (which was advertised as an adventure zone, and therefore would be Veteran-only content).
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options