Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Upcoming Combat and Effect API Changes

ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
✭✭✭
In patch 1.7 we will be testing some changes to the rules that control which combat events and effects (buffs/debuffs) are communicated to addons. These changes are intended to deliver more reliable information about what is happening to the player and their target without changing what addons know about activities between other players. Here are some of the changes:

Before:
  • No information on effects that last less than 30 seconds.

After:
  • Addons will now receive information on effects shorter than 30 seconds as long as they affect the player or were cast by the player.

Before:
  • The EFFECT_CHANGED event was unit tag based, which means it was only sent if a unit tag existed for the unit with the effect on them. This means that if a player cast an effect on a target and then looked away, the addon would not receive updates about that effect. It also means it was difficult to track which unit the effect was cast on if the player casts the same effect on multiple targets.

After:
  • The EFFECT_CHANGED event now includes a unit name field and will always be sent, even if no unit tag exists. The event will continue to be sent for each applicable unit tag if unit tags do exist.

Before:
  • COMBAT_EVENT was stripped of most of its information if it failed a filtering check. These filtering rules were complex and hard to account for.

After:
  • COMBAT_EVENT is sent for all ability casts if the source or target is the player or their pet.

Our hope is that these changes will give existing combat and effect addons the same information that they were working hard to cobble together before in a more reliable and easy to use format. We are posting them ahead of time to offer a chance for feedback and discussion before the PTS realm goes live.
Staff Post
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can barely believe it. Thank you for listening to this feedback.
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds awesome.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! These are very welcomed changes.
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Daveheart
    Daveheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see improvement made with these changes.
    Daggerfall Covenant (PC-NA)

The Order of Mundus | Nightfighters
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very good news. If this is what i think, then we should get back the good combat logs we had in beta.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Erlex
    Erlex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it takes the console players complaining about lack of information before you will listen? At least you are finally realizing your mistakes. Now if only you could give us our freaking name plates back.

I give it a month before console either A: has access to some addons that this will use, or B: they get stock buffs/sct (they already have it in the game, we just aren't allowed to use it)
    Edited by Erlex on June 18, 2015 5:21PM
    World First Hel Ra / AA clear
    Officer of Entropy Rising
    Defender of the Chalamo
    Beta tester since March 2013
    I stream everything twitch.tv/erlexx
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, does this mean that addons are now required to win?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! So awesome to see nice changes to addon API!
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erlex wrote: »
    So it takes the console players complaining about lack of information before you will listen? At least you are finally realizing your mistakes. Now if only you could give us our freaking name plates back.

I give it a month before console either A: has access to some addons that this will use, or B: they get stock buffs/sct (they already have it in the game, we just aren't allowed to use it)

+1 Nameplates or riot!
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    pppontus wrote: »
    I can barely believe it. Thank you for listening to this feedback.

22 months later. I am very happy to see this thread, even though it was a topic long ignored since launch despite the same pressing need that entire time. I would also like to see nameplates and guild tag options re enabled, as well as the built in combat log chat tab and health/resource bar labels. Having to rely on addons for basic game and combat information isn't workable. Addons should be for extra functionality beyond what is industry standard, and customization, not core parts of the interface to even work.
    Erlex wrote: »

I would like nameplates and guild tags back, too. It has indeed been one hell of a long road to get these API nerfs reverted, and it is peculiar see it only happen after console players complained during, but at least it is happening finally. They have already now said sct/buff tracking is being enabled for consoles soon and it will be for the pc too, once implemented.

I've posted almost continuously about these topics for around 22 months at this point, and so yes, while I am disappointed that the arguments were ignored for so long and only now are being fixed with console masses demanding it too, I am glad to see this coming nonetheless. ESO and its combat system have long been hidden by a brick wall of silence to most players due to these information blocks. Having one of the best and deepest combat systems I've seen in an MMORPG, this was actually sad to see it tucked away... :). I am excited that more will be able to learn the gameplay in the near future. Regardless of the timing, they are doing the right thing now.

Smh.
    World first use of that on the forums by the way for me...
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on June 19, 2015 1:02AM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Smh.

You might find the question disgusting, but I am trying to decide if this tips the balance such that add ons that provide this information are now pretty much required. Before this, they were inaccurate and questionable in usefulness.

Now, the bigger question is whether ZOS should concede the need for on-screen effects pop ups, on PC and console, since the function may be necessary.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Smh.

You might find the question disgusting, but I am trying to decide if this tips the balance such that add ons that provide this information are now pretty much required. Before this, they were inaccurate and questionable in usefulness.

Now, the bigger question is whether ZOS should concede the need for on-screen effects pop ups, on PC and console, since the function may be necessary.

They were not questionable in usefulness, just very flawed due to the limited game info they were allowed to pull. The only change now is that they will be adding in buff/debuff tracking and scrolling combat text options (already confirmed for both console and PC/Mac platforms) to provide basic game information, shortly after opening it up for the addons to utilize.

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But guys, you can't have on-screen buff timers because immersion and elder scrolls tradition and stuff!
    ps3_oblivion_08.jpg
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    But guys, you can't have on-screen buff timers because immersion and elder scrolls tradition and stuff!
    ps3_oblivion_08.jpg
    If you want immersion, play on console.
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glak wrote: »
    ps3_oblivion_08.jpg

You missed the point. It was sarcasm. There is an onscreen buff timer in that screenshot of an older elder scrolls game.
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drazhar14 wrote: »
    ps3_oblivion_08.jpg

You missed the point. It was sarcasm. There is an onscreen buff timer in that screenshot of an older elder scrolls game.

Exactly, and it's funny we may finally be getting a feature from Elder Scrolls circa 2006
  • Katsibrokos
    Katsibrokos
    ✭✭✭
    At Last!
    Wood Elf Templar
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    In patch 1.7 ...

The current Live client is 2.0.11

Just trying to avoid / get ahead of Launcher manifest error codes and login screen errors here.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Drazhar14 wrote: »
    ps3_oblivion_08.jpg

Exactly, and it's funny we may finally be getting a feature from Elder Scrolls circa 2006

(nods)
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on June 19, 2015 7:50AM

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Garkin Thought you may be interested in this in case you hadn't seen it yet :)
    Does this mean that add-ons like Srendarr won't have to rely directly on ability casts any more?
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Does this mean that add-ons like Srendarr won't have to rely directly on ability casts any more?

Yes. Only for effects on you, and your effects on others though. So you can't see the debuffs of your friends, for example.
    playing for eXile

• Frenkthevile
    Frenkthevile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank Akatosh!
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes. In short, anything applied (negative or positive be it healing, damage, buffs, or debuffs) by or to your character to/from any target. They also are planning to add unique unit ID's, which will allow addons (and the built-in buff/debuff tracking and SCT) to accurately track which enemies regardless of having the same name or not, received your effects such as a taunt. These API relaxations will also work for combat log addons that we have now and SCT ones, enabling you to see what healed you or hit you, and what buffs or debuffs you landed or received. The official scrolling combat text and buff/debuff tracking options will come after these API changes land, but they are putting them out ahead as they are required groundwork for those in any case, and addon authors will be able to use them for people who want them ASAP :D.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on June 19, 2015 9:46AM

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Only for effects on you, and your effects on others though. So you can't see the debuffs of your friends, for example.
    That's fair enough, as I don't think add-ons are able tract debuffs on friends right now anyway?
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's fair enough, as I don't think add-ons are able tract debuffs on friends right now anyway?

No, they're not. An exception might be the health debuff from Pulsar. The vanilla UI shows that with a shrunken HP bar, not sure if an addon recognizes that or not.
    playing for eXile

• r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. In short, anything applied (negative or positive be it healing, damage, buffs, or debuffs) by or to your character to/from any target. They also are planning to add unique unit ID's, which will allow addons (and the built-in buff/debuff tracking and SCT) to accurately track which enemies regardless of having the same name or not, received your effects such as a taunt. These API relaxations will also work for combat log addons that we have now and SCT ones, enabling you to see what healed you or hit you, and what buffs or debuffs you landed or received. The official scrolling combat text and buff/debuff tracking options will come after these API changes land, but they are putting them out ahead as they are required groundwork for those in any case, and addon authors will be able to use them for people who want them ASAP :D.

Exactly. Finally all the information that I need to fine tune my character/gameplay will be available :smile:
    playing for eXile

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The official scrolling combat text and buff/debuff tracking options will come after these API changes land
    84688.jpg

Have they actually said they're going to do that? Because that would be great :)
  • Legedric
    Legedric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #Finally #It'sAboutTime

But then again I remember that 1.7/2.1 probably won't hit the live servers any earlier than September... :'(
    Edited by Legedric on June 19, 2015 10:20AM
    Legedric the Flamedancer ► - Redguard Dragon Knight
    Legedric the Stormdancer ► - Altmer Sorcerer
    Legedric the Sundancer ► - Altmer Templar

EU | DRUCKWELLE - Retter des Kaiserreiches
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The official scrolling combat text and buff/debuff tracking options will come after these API changes land
    84688.jpg

Have they actually said they're going to do that? Because that would be great :)

Not sure, but since @ZOS_ChipHilseberg says :
    In patch 1.7 we will be testing some changes to the rules that control which combat events and effects (buffs/debuffs) are communicated to addons.

So not sure about the ZOS development on the UI, but reading this I'll take it for granted the API change is implemented next patch, so addons can use it.
    Edited by r.jan_emailb16_ESO on June 19, 2015 10:19AM
    playing for eXile

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    84688.jpg

Not sure, but since @ZOS_ChipHilseberg says :
    In patch 1.7 we will be testing some changes to the rules that control which combat events and effects (buffs/debuffs) are communicated to addons.

So not sure about the ZOS development on the UI, but reading this I'll take it for granted the API change is implemented next patch, so addons can use it.
    Well yes, absolutely, that's what this thread is about. But my question was specifically about ZOS' possible intentions to make it part of the base UI.