Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Morag Tong

Delte
Delte
✭✭✭
Just met them in the game and I would really like it if they were added as a guild players could join who belong to the Ebonheart Pact.

If given the choice over the Morag Tong or Dark Brotherhood I would pick the Morag Tong any and every day.

I just find the Dark Brotherhood to be like a comedy sketch from Monty Python or Blackadder rather than a serious guild of assassins. I know some players love them, I just can't take the group seriously in the games.
  • Varghjarta
    Varghjarta
    Soul Shriven
    Just another oblique reference to how Morrowind was so much better than Oblivion and Skyrim. The more the lore is like Morrowind the better off we'll all be!
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Had a feeling thats who that lady was with.
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    Varghjarta wrote: »
    Just another oblique reference to how Morrowind was so much better than Oblivion and Skyrim. The more the lore is like Morrowind the better off we'll all be!

It is a shame they seem to be trying to play down the Morag Tong in latter games, and implement the bunch of clowns known as the Dark Brotherhood.

The Dark Brotherhood has no foot hold in Morrowind due to the Tong so why would they have a guild there anyway ? The Morag Tong would hunt them down and kill them.

The other two factions have their own secret organisations so they wouldn't be left out. Would it be that bad if they were in the game ?

• gurluasb16_ESO
    gurluasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Ebonheart Brotherhood would either be in Skyrim or Black Marsh. I doubt they'd be in Stonefalls or Deshaan.
  • Reymas
    Reymas
    ✭✭✭✭
    <.<

>.>

B)

Sig. It's as good as we'll get for now.

Needless to say i agree with the OP but I also think it would be hard to add them as they would A. have to be EP exclusive due to their lore during this time period and B. I can't think of 2 equivalently popular or interesting/mysterious organizations that could be added to the DC and AD factions that would balance it out.

That, I believe, is why no joinable Morag Tong NPC faction was added, that and the Dark brother hood are sadly way more popular. Still, you're welcome to sign up with us!
    Edited by Reymas on April 18, 2014 9:03AM
    Honor, Duty and Piety for Morrowind
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    I swore I read somewhere in the lore, whether in game or in some ES novels I have, that the dark brotherhood was formed from the morag tong, and the tong was all but wiped out/disappeared/fizzled out/whatevers
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    Not saying in THIS game they couldn't be a faction, more that my understanding was at the time the brotherhood was forming or did form that was the end of the tong, so perhaps the brotherhood quest line will involve that somehow.
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    The Morag Tong is still strong in Morrowind the Dark Brotherhood was kicked out of that realm by the tong. It is the only place they can't get a foot hold in.

The Aldmeri has the Queens Blades which Razum Darr is a member of and the Daggerfall also has a spy network. So the secret factions are within the game already just not joinable by the players.

The Morag Tong are still a powerful force to be reckoned with in Morrowind which is set a long time after the events in ESO. Also the Dark Brotherhood is executed on sight by any Tong members so I am not sure how they will make that work in the game. As someone who is roleplaying a dunmer Morag Tong member I just feel it would be a bit of a betrayal if she were to join the Dark Brotherhood seeing as they hate each other.
    Would prefer an alternative to the Dark Brotherhood in an either or setting.

@Reymas‌ I know of your guild, but I am on the EU server.
  • Contrabardus
    Contrabardus
    ✭✭
    It would be nice to see both in the game, especially considering how they could easily be placed into their respective faction. Morag Tong in EP, and DB in DC.

I also agree that joining one should bar entrance into the ranks of the other even during Vet content play. That's something I've missed from Morrowind myself. I loved how joining some factions generated hate and even barred membership in others.

ESO is the perfect opportunity to bring that back.
    Edited by Contrabardus on April 18, 2014 5:00PM
  • Reymas
    Reymas
    ✭✭✭✭
    @‌Delte

True, though in the current time period that ESO takes place in, less than 200 years after Versidue-Shaie was assassinated and the Tong was blamed, the Tong is all but destroyed, trying to just barely pull itself from the ashes of its betrayal by the Brotherhood. As the story of ESO reinforces, it is even persecuted in its native Morrowind, by the very people who embraced it in the first place: The Tribunal and the Great Houses. Well, at least outwardly persecuted.

So RP-wise one would have to keep a very low profile in that regard, from pretty much everyone they didn't know and trust.

As I said, the Queen's Blades and any intelligence or assassin organization within the Daggerfall Covenant, would not nearly be as popular due to the utter lack of history and/or nostalgia factor that the Tong illicits, and with the current lore you simply couldn't justify the Tong's reach much beyond Morrowind and the Pact.

Pity you're on EU, even though both servers are hosted in the US at the moment. ;)
    Honor, Duty and Piety for Morrowind
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Varghjarta wrote: »
    Actually Morag Tong in Morrowind ans here are two different things - only name is shared for real
    It would be nice to see both in the game, especially considering how they could easily be placed into their respective faction. Morag Tong in EP, and DB in DC.
    It could make little sense. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Morag_Tong - Morag Tong (the one from TESO) is where Dark Brotherhood originated. Also Mora Tong does not operate only in Pact it seems as it exists in the whole Tamriel.
  • Contrabardus
    Contrabardus
    ✭✭
    The split happened well before ESO. In fact, at this point the Morag Tong would be severely weakened according to lore. The Morag Tong was pretty much stamped out everywhere but Morrowind by the time ESO comes about. Their big fall from grace happened a little more than a century before.

The DB is well established by the time the game starts for around 500 years and would be taking most of the contracts outside of the areas where Morrowind has a lot of influence.

The Morag Tong does not operate over all of Tamriel anymore, at least not on any large scale. During the events of ESO the organization only has any real influence in Morrowind and the DB is taking full advantage of it.

The Morag Tong that exists in the era of ESO is the beginning of the same Morag Tong we see in Morrowind. It never really regains it's former glory across Tamriel and the DB becomes the bigger organization that controls most of the continent. They keep a foothold in Morrowind and remain strong enough to remain rivals with the DB, but the glory days of the Morag Tong's influence over all of Tamriel are over in ESO's time.
    Edited by Contrabardus on April 19, 2014 4:38AM
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    @Contrabardus‌
    I know most of the lore around the Morag Tong and Dark Brotherhood, just saying I prefer the Morag Tong over the clowns that say they are the Dark Brotherhood.

Personally I do not like the way they are tied to Sithis and this makes them look comical in the game they sound stupid when they talk about murder. The Morag Tong on the other hand are professional in their dealings even though they follow Mephala they never went around in dark cloaks all hailing some dark entity they can not prove exists.

I am just asking for a choice to either join the Morag Tong or the Dark Brotherhood in the game. Much like what we have with the vampires and werewolves. Give the players a choice to join one of these two secret factions in the game. With the skill system they have in place I can't see this being a problem.

Never liked the Dark Brotherhood in any of the single player games due to the comedy nature of the whole organisation.
  • Contrabardus
    Contrabardus
    ✭✭
    Delte wrote: »
    @Contrabardus‌
    I know most of the lore around the Morag Tong and Dark Brotherhood, just saying I prefer the Morag Tong over the clowns that say they are the Dark Brotherhood.

Personally I do not like the way they are tied to Sithis and this makes them look comical in the game they sound stupid when they talk about murder. The Morag Tong on the other hand are professional in their dealings even though they follow Mephala they never went around in dark cloaks all hailing some dark entity they can not prove exists.

I am just asking for a choice to either join the Morag Tong or the Dark Brotherhood in the game. Much like what we have with the vampires and werewolves. Give the players a choice to join one of these two secret factions in the game. With the skill system they have in place I can't see this being a problem.

Never liked the Dark Brotherhood in any of the single player games due to the comedy nature of the whole organisation.

I agree, it was a response to the post directly above it, not the OP.

There should be a choice between joining one or the other, but it should also be based on what faction you choose. At his point in the lore history, it wouldn't make sense for Morag Tong to have a big presence in the DC and AD areas. Nor would it make sense for the DB to have a real presence in the Morrowind areas.

EP should end up in Morag Tong for their assassination quests, and the DC should have the DB for their assassination questlines. AD could have their own faction, or a separate branch of the DB.

It doesn't make sense from a lore standpoint for there to be a Morag Tong guild presence outside of the EP. You really shouldn't be able to join the Morag Tong if you're a DC or AD member, just as you shouldn't be able to join the DB if you're an EP player.

I'm all for having both in the game, but both shouldn't be shoehorned into every faction and ignore the lore surrounding both organizations during the time period the game is set in.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tong > Dark Brotherhood.

Legal murder. Daedra worship. Win all around.
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think AD would have something related to the thalmore as their guild, bunch of racist pricks even in the 2nd era
    Edited by bloodenragedb14_ESO on April 23, 2014 7:41AM
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    In Windhelm, there is a "Mysterious Stranger" or something, wearing a really dark outfit and his first impression is Dark Brotherhood. Anybody else know what I am talking about, or can confirm?
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to have them both - not 1 general organisation. It is because I dont like Oblivion with all the general guilds and city quests without any spice. Morag Tong is still slightly different from Dark Brotherhood who takes order from Sithis only. Morag tong reminds me more of some kind of Italian mafia with secret rules whom to kill and why, their contracts were more based on hostile behaviour of Dunmers then a command from Daedra. Atleast what I remember.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I mean the guilds had still good quests, but the general feeling from Oblivion is not good for me. I think its because they attempted to make it more like middle ages with all the castles but without all the dark obscure religious-occult mystical atmosphere - like it was in "the name of the rose" movie and book.
    Edited by Mandragora on December 7, 2014 12:48PM
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to have different names of guilds for different parts of Tamriel.
    Mage's and Fighter's guild was originally meant as schools, which would be OK for Imperials, but why they became ultimate guilds with no possibility for variability? no others subguilds can pass through this. So Im affraid Thieves guild would be the same and Dark Brotherhood too.

They make EU from ESO :)

I think ESO misses a lot of fun and opportunities with this concept, because with all the world nations it does represent they should invest more effort to deeper stories behind the guilds and make them different for each part of Tamriel.

For example I wanted to have occultic witches in Skyrim - to be able to work for a hag to learn strange potions and became necromancer because it does fit more to dark skyrim then a mage guild. But there was a standard Mages guild they had no ideas for anyway - it was the worst guild there - the beginning was good, the rest was just strange for me.
  • Madness1
    Madness1
    ✭✭✭
    How about they implement the two guilds into PVP, they get targets of some dominating players, NPCs, or just a player or NPC that is randomly generated/picked every day and everyone has to hunt them down; you could maybe also include and kill members in your same faction. Also you have gates barring people from certain territory on a map, what if you can get a pass from the guards to access enemy territory and not be killable by anyone else but the target and his/her own group; of course the pass would not be free and you'll have to bribe/pay for it, similar to how bounties worked in Morrowind.

Also @Delte how about joining THIS GUILD we're a growing thievery/murder guild with members across all factions.
    What is the color of night?
    What is the color of the fox?
    Hail Sithis.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In fact, at this point the Morag Tong would be severely weakened according to lore.

According to ESO too. Naryu's dialog seems to imply that a lot of the contracts you help her with—which remember are on the various evildoers spreading plague and destruction—are damage control on the Morag Tong's reputation. We also have this little piece: here.

I'm kind of hoping they'll at least have some special dialog for her when the DB comes out. Because a DB assassin working with a MT ought to be interesting.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • UTG_Zilla
    UTG_Zilla
    ✭✭✭
    To all those saying the dark brotherhood are clowns...they're the real assassins. Sure the morag tong was first but they're SANCTIONED. If they have a writ they can just walk up to someone in broad daylight in a crowded square and kill them without consequence. The dark brotherhood have to actually sneak in, stealth kill and sneak out (wish it was more like the trap kills in oblivion) but still, a lot more "assassin-y" than the morag tong.