Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Viable Argonian Class

AnAngryGinger
AnAngryGinger
✭✭✭
All threads I found in search are way off topic and are barely useful anyway because it's likely all outdated information. So I apologize if this has been answered a lot already.

This is my favorite race in Elder Scrolls, partly due to their unpopularity. Usually if someone picks one of the beast races it's a Khajiit.

So are there any viable classes? I rolled a Templar. Do I need to reroll? Again? lol

Seeing a lot of lizard hate on here.
Xuth!
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh gods...there's that word again. Argonians work pretty well as healers from any class and archers. There are more optimal combinations but you won't have any serious problems with any class or setup.
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All races are viable with all classes, but if you're a min/maxer certain races outshine others.

Argonian racials aren't super amazing, I mean they're okay but nothing special. For a healing based Templar a Breton would probably have the best racials. Likewise, a Breton / Altmer would be better suited for a Magicka based DPS Templar. For Stamina builds, both the Khajiit and Imperial races tend to stand out, with the latter also arguably being one of the better tank races.

So do you need to reroll? No. But if you're a number cruncher and you feel not being 'optimal' will eat away at your sanity.. probably.

Edited by The_Sadist on June 13, 2015 5:50PM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Argonians used to have excellent synergy with Nightblade on a heavy Potion build.

Then ZOS completely changed how potions function and made Argonians best passive into an overall mediocre one.

Argonian's most intriguing build was completely gutted, leaving a lot of players feeling scorned.

As a result, lizard hate -- especially since none of their other passives were particularly strong performers.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    \
    All threads I found in search are way off topic and are barely useful anyway because it's likely all outdated information. So I apologize if this has been answered a lot already.

This is my [favorite race in Elder Scrolls, partly due to their unpopularity. Usually if someone picks one of the beast races it's a Khajiit.

So are there any viable classes? I rolled a Templar. Do I need to reroll? Again? lol

Hm False.

"Too many Argonians around these days... makes me nervous"
    Edited by PBpsy on June 13, 2015 5:59PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you could actually swim in the big rivers in Cyrodiil, the Argonian swimming passive would actually be useful for stealth raids and counterattacks in Cyrodiil. I suppose you can swim around caves faster...
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you could actually swim in the big rivers in Cyrodiil, the Argonian swimming passive would actually be useful for stealth raids and counterattacks in Cyrodiil. I suppose you can swim around caves faster...

Way back at launch there was a player who mentioned they used their Argonian swim speed passive to lead other players across the rivers in Cyrodiil (ie: the one under Alessia bridge if my recollection is clear) and watch them get eaten by Slaughterfish.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Alp2760
    Alp2760
    ✭✭
    Don't the argonians have decent healing bonuses? I'm still very new to this but was planning on making an argonian templar which would be aimed towards healing and they seemed decent enough for it. I don't know the specifics though so there could be way better options but if the op really wants to stick with an argonian, they are at least viable right?
  • TheDarknessLizard
    "Too many Argonians around these days... makes me nervous"[/quote]

Yeah, I seen right i saw, Okay not nervous that fine.

• eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alp2760 wrote: »
    Don't the argonians have decent healing bonuses? I'm still very new to this but was planning on making an argonian templar which would be aimed towards healing and they seemed decent enough for it. I don't know the specifics though so there could be way better options but if the op really wants to stick with an argonian, they are at least viable right?

They "had" decent bonuses for a healer. But those passives got nerfed/changed. New players still get confused about it and assumes argonians have synergy with templar- or restoration staff healing. This is not the case (other than the 15% training boost with staff, which frankly doesn't matter past level 50).

They now have incoming healing, a passive that benefits a tank the most. It's not outgoing healing, like back in beta.

They also had a passive boosting potion effectiveness, very good for healers. That passive got nerfed in 1.6.

However it's known fact that ZoS will boost weaker races soonish. After that you will be able to change racial passives as well. So I wouldn't worry to much about today's argonians. It will get balanced soon enough and you're still playing the second best looking race in the game (after dunmer chicks).
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »
    Alp2760 wrote: »

They "had" decent bonuses for a healer. But those passives got nerfed/changed. New players still get confused about it and assumes argonians have synergy with templar- or restoration staff healing. This is not the case (other than the 15% training boost with staff, which frankly doesn't matter past level 50).

They now have incoming healing, a passive that benefits a tank the most. It's not outgoing healing, like back in beta.

They also had a passive boosting potion effectiveness, very good for healers. That passive got nerfed in 1.6.

However it's known fact that ZoS will boost weaker races soonish. After that you will be able to change racial passives as well. So I wouldn't worry to much about today's argonians. It will get balanced soon enough and you're still playing the second best looking race in the game (after dunmer chicks).

I agree completely. Why would anyone make any of their playing characters anything other than Dunmer chicks and their bank mules anything other than Argonians is beyond me.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • AnAngryGinger
    AnAngryGinger
    ✭✭✭
    Rrrrrrrrrrrrracist!

Thanks for the quick responses you all. I'll wing it.
    Xuth!
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my alts is an argonian dragonknight. Do the passives help? Not that much. Do I care? Not a bit.

Play what you have fun with, I say, and just find friends who aren't into min/maxing to go on pledges/trials with.
    You may not be "perfect"... but as long as you have fun, race matters little. And when they annoy you, you can always challenge them to a swimming contest... ;)
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I believe, someone already mentioned previously, but I want to highlight it - some racials will be tweak in the near future ( soon™ ), so hang tight and hope argonians can be tweaked a bit.
  • SinisterAgonian
    Argonian=master race i am argonian since oblivion,forever.
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians= ZOS doo doo
    NA/PC
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still think they make decent nightblade magicka tanks, or tanks in general.
  • CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    makes for anything I was told to wait and see what bonuses that get after update then decide, hope that helps you a little.
    Shouriko Dark Elf Ebonheart Pact

When the housecat gives away your position.
  • Junkogen
    Junkogen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It keeps getting said that they're going to tweak the racials, but the last time they did that they gutted the potion passive and made it guar dung. It's fascinating how much faith some of you have in them despite all they've done to ruin the lizards in this game. I doubt their passives will ever be as useful as others. They've always been marginal and more work than other races. I see no way for them to dig the Argonians out of the hole they're in without completely changing the passives like they did with the Nords when they changed the armor buff passive to a straight 6% damage reduction.

They need to actually invest time and thought into balancing the racials when compared to other races in the context of the current soft cap-free landscape. They have too much else on their plate, though, to really untangle the formidable Argonian knot. As a result, you're either going to be an egg-sibling because you like the look and the lore, or pull the ripcord and bail when they finally allow race changes...whenever that happens.

No matter how much Febreze you spray on poop, it's still poop.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Junkogen wrote: »
    It keeps getting said that they're going to tweak the racials, but the last time they did that they gutted the potion passive and made it guar dung. It's fascinating how much faith some of you have in them despite all they've done to ruin the lizards in this game. I doubt their passives will ever be as useful as others. They've always been marginal and more work than other races. I see no way for them to dig the Argonians out of the hole they're in without completely changing the passives like they did with the Nords when they changed the armor buff passive to a straight 6% damage reduction.

They need to actually invest time and thought into balancing the racials when compared to other races in the context of the current soft cap-free landscape. They have too much else on their plate, though, to really untangle the formidable Argonian knot. As a result, you're either going to be an egg-sibling because you like the look and the lore, or pull the ripcord and bail when they finally allow race changes...whenever that happens.

Yeah the issue is really a soft cap issue. I'm still confused why they did that. I also really wish they would put more on the 'c' page so we could see more attributes like Damage Resistance, Fire Resistance, Poison, etc.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • JediRift
    JediRift
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind also, Argonians have built in poison resistance. If you intend becoming a werewolf at any time, the Argonian poison resistance is excellent and practically negates the Werewolf poison vulnerability (-50%). The Argonian healing bonuses also pair well with the Werewolf health regen abilities. So technically speaking, if you intend PvPing on a Werewolf and do not want to get completely destroyed by poison archers, Argonian is an excellent race to choose for your Werewolf.

Plus, how cool is it being a darn LIZARD that transforms into a darn WEREWOLF?
    [Arcane] is recruiting! Daggerfall PS4 NA PvP/PvE - 400+ active members ~ Main recruitment thread ~ www.facebook.com/ArcaneGuild
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my favorite race in Elder Scrolls, partly due to their unpopularity. Usually if someone picks one of the beast races it's a Khajiit.

Your racials really dont matter that much in the long run. Argonians can do just fine at all three roles and all four classes.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank