Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The crown store?

MaximumBunny
MaximumBunny
Soul Shriven
So I started the game recently and everything has been pretty awesome. I don't get the hate. One hate I particularly don't understand is a complaint that says Zenimax has focused on the crown store. I looked and they're hardly selling anything at all. A couple of mounts, pets, strange "craft packs" that don't seem to have a description as to their use (and Google says they can be found in-game)...Is there some button I missed that fully opens the store to browse their stuff or are they really only selling about 8 things total aside from their subscription model? What exactly is there to spend crowns on?

I'm just surprised since other MMO's have a TON of vanity items or P2W stuff. I find it hard to believe that I'm not doing something wrong here if everyone's complaining about them focusing solely on the crown store and I only see a handful of items that don't seem to be interesting or drowned in particle effects. Where is everything? :|
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue isn't so much about what's on or not on the crown store, it's about other content that we haven't gotten. The last content update that we got is approaching a year, and there is nothing new on the horizon for another few months based on what we've been told. The only things that we HAVE gotten are new things for the crown store.

Since you are new, you haven't likely seen all of the calls for new actual content, and the lack of it that has come down.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People aren't actually complaining about the crown store, they're complaining about what's (not) in the rest of the game.

Unless you count the Justice system I don't think they've added new content to the game since Craglorn, which as Aett Thorn said was almost a year ago. Meanwhile they've added the crown store relatively recently, and it's had several new items added (and others removed) since it was launched. So an easy accusation for someone whose frustrated about this is that they've abandoned working on actual content in favour of working on items for the crown store.

It's the same logic as people saying they've abandoned the PC/MAC version of the game in favour of consoles simply because the console launch is their main focus right now.

It's not entirely true or logical, and the people saying it are probably aware of that. But it's also understandable that they might exaggerate the situation when they're frustrated.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • MaximumBunny
    MaximumBunny
    Soul Shriven
    I've browsed and have seen people with large lists of things to add. So what you're saying is that I've caught the crown store in its infancy before they have added anything to buy. So everyone's been waiting to buy the expansions for a long time basically?

I'm guessing that addons have the limitation of not being visible to others in-game. So is the community here opposed to modders making content that gets approved to the store? It's not like ESO has the same benefits (and limitations) as its predecessors and I'm sure people would be happy to pick up some of the slack if they were getting paid for it. That's not something that could happen in other MMORPGs. Just MMO's like DOTA 2.

While "paid mods zomg" is still in the air, it's an online game with an online store and the Elder Scrolls series has always been about player content. Surely users wouldn't not-buy and picket some armor set from a dude just because he's not on a Zenimax payroll? Reiterating the point of "addons not being visible to other users in-game" if that's the very likely case.
  • MaximumBunny
    MaximumBunny
    Soul Shriven
    I guess that means I've already been shunned. :*