Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "The Hero's Guides collection is back in stock, and on sale"

ZOS_JasonLeavey
ZOS_JasonLeavey
✭✭✭✭✭
This is the official discussion thread for the web article, "The Hero's Guides collection is back in stock, and on sale."

Don't miss your chance to get this limited collection of Elder Scrolls lorebooks and artwork, now 25% until June 12!
Jason Leavey
Community Coordinator - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
Staff Post
  • jimmulvaney
    jimmulvaney
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, I wants it! But I don't get paid until the 12th! Does this mean I can still get it at the sale price if I order it on the 12 th?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... I think I know what I am getting for my birthday now... :sweat_smile:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Wodwo
    Wodwo
    ✭✭✭
    You guys REALLY need to get a European depot. I really want this but it's gonna cost me £20 to ship it! That's a third of the cost of the actual books again!
  • LillyAngel
    LillyAngel
    ✭✭
    Well, £20 seems alright but it would cost me $55 to have it shipped to Germany! I understand it's a premium product but what's up with the premium delivery? Too bad though... would really love to have this.
    Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
  • Vraneon
    Vraneon
    ✭✭✭
    I don't quite understand why this should be a limited edition or collection, if the Hero's Guide gets reproduced? I thought the purpose of limited series/editions is to not reprint and reproduce them?
  • ianofsec
    ianofsec
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem here in UK $ 89 to have two delivered.. Is there not a UK/European shop?
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vraneon wrote: »
    I don't quite understand why this should be a limited edition or collection, if the Hero's Guide gets reproduced? I thought the purpose of limited series/editions is to not reprint and reproduce them?
    My guess is that each printing run is limited to a certain number of copies. When they sell out, the Guide won't get reprinted immediately, but only after some arbitrary interval, in order to raise demand.

And to blow into the same horn: I think the Heroe's Guide is a quality product and has a lot to offer to every lore buff and fan of all things Tamriel. Sadly, USPS international S&H costs are quite prohibitive to us EU denizens. They represent a buying hurdle which might be hurting international sales. ThinkGeek, which hosts the Bethesda Store, offers UPS and DHL shipping. Why doesn't the Bethesda Store itself?
  • Elebeth
    Elebeth
    ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure that there is (aside from AP's) only 10 000 copies and that this is just another part of those 10 000. They either printed all 10k copies and are selling them in waves of X 000 or (as @KhajitFurTrader mentioned) they are doing separate printing runs of those 10k copies.

It would be absolutely crazy to print "exclusive limited edition of only 10 000" and then when they sellout to print "not so exclusive and limited edition of not only 10 000" (after all, the page on the store claims: limited edition of 10,000)

But just to make sure, I'm making a shout-out so that we might get a confirmation that there is indeed only 10 000 of these bad boiz.
    @ZOS_JasonLeavey
    "I don't recall using teleportation, and yet there I was. Alone. Naked." Morrowind
  • Vraneon
    Vraneon
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, I see, but what is exclusive or limited then? I was watching it a bit because I love to buy Eso stuff and the Hero's Guide was available for a pretty long time. So if i can buy something 80 percent of time with no restriction, why should it be called limited? And as soon as it depletes it will get reprinted anyway. Shouldn't it be called regular edition of the Hero's Guide then?

And will other things be reproduced the same way? For example the lithographs or statues. Limited would mean for me that there will be only a limited number produced and sold, without reproduction, or it's unavailable most of the time (meaning only one month during a year and not 10 months out of 12).

That's why I am curious what exactly should be limited about it?
  • Elebeth
    Elebeth
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, I see, but what is exclusive or limited then? I was watching it a bit because I love to buy Eso stuff and the Hero's Guide was available for a pretty long time. So if i can buy something 80 percent of time with no restriction, why should it be called limited? And as soon as it depletes it will get reprinted anyway. Shouldn't it be called regular edition of the Hero's Guide then?

And will other things be reproduced the same way? For example the lithographs or statues. Limited would mean for me that there will be only a limited number produced and sold, without reproduction, or it's unavailable most of the time (meaning only one month during a year and not 10 months out of 12).

That's why I am curious what exactly should be limited about it?

As I said:
    Elebeth wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that there is (aside from AP's) only 10 000 copies and that this is just another part of those 10 000. They either printed all 10k copies and are selling them in waves of X 000 or (as @KhajitFurTrader mentioned) they are doing separate printing runs of those 10k copies.

Which would mean that guides are limited because there is only 10 000 of them, they just don't sell them all at once.

Once again I kindly ask @ZOS_JasonLeavey for the confirmation.
    "I don't recall using teleportation, and yet there I was. Alone. Naked." Morrowind
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Limited edition" just means that only a certain (limited) number of an item are made (printed) at a time. There can be more than one edition of the item, i.e. 1st edition, 2nd edition, etc, and each one can still be limited. After the respective printing, each edition is effectively out of print.

It's a common practice. It's also a marketing technique. It does still result in unique collectors' items,

I would like to have this set myself, but like others I can't justify the expense at this time.
    Edited by Lynnessa on June 6, 2015 2:56PM
  • Elebeth
    Elebeth
    ✭✭✭
    Well, my line of thought was greatly directed by the fact that the store states "Limited edition of 10,000" and since every guide comes with hand-signed certificate of authenticity (eg. 05 834/10 000), I doubt there will be (or that this is) another print of 10 000, because that would result in two persons with the same certificate (eg. 05 834/10 000).
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hm, I see now why it's unclear. The ads/articles don't specify whether there were multiple editions... though I do think it's unlikely that 10000 of these have been sold... but if there are more than one edition, something on the certificate (or the copyright) will be different between the two.

We should get someone who bought it before to buy it again and let us know. That will clear it up! >_>
    Edited by Lynnessa on June 6, 2015 5:28PM
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And to blow into the same horn: I think the Heroe's Guide is a quality product and has a lot to offer to every lore buff and fan of all things Tamriel. Sadly, USPS international S&H costs are quite prohibitive to us EU denizens. They represent a buying hurdle which might be hurting international sales. ThinkGeek, which hosts the Bethesda Store, offers UPS and DHL shipping. Why doesn't the Bethesda Store itself?

It is a hurdle. To offer free US shipping but no discount to foreigners is pretty harsh.

I am in Japan. The guide itself costs $75 but the shipping costs $55. Or let's put this another way... this price is 73% more expensive if I buy it here than if I buy it in the US. Heck, it may actually pay for me to make an entirely new friend in the US, give them $75 and then ask them to ship the item to me by another provider and refund their costs.

Failing that I will not buy it because I cannot, in good conscience, buy an item that almost doubles its price in the shipping.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_JessicaFolsom will there ever be other terms offered to your customers and fans who are not in the US but would more than happily give you money?

I have already bought the first volume of Tales (photo available for confirmation if required), the second volume is on my wishlist ready for buying as soon as it is released in September. I would dearly love to buy the Hero's Guide as well, and I was overjoyed when the news was posted that it will go on sale again, but will not be able to do so unless reasonable shipping rates are available. Please can you look into this.
  • zyntex
    zyntex
    ✭✭
    I would really like to buy this guide but the delivery to Europe (Germany for me) are insane!

Other companys get it done with one EU warehouse for their merchandise but not Bethesda (oh and Bungie)?
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too would love to buy this, but at US$135 (US$75 plus US$60 for shipping) it would cost me roughly AU$180!! That is beyond ridiculous
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necro! >_>

Best girlfriend ever just bought this for me :smiley:
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis