Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Attribute Points - Do the Affect Damage Of Magika / Stamina Skills?

Vaerth
Vaerth
✭✭✭✭
I am wondering, when I put a point in to stamina does it increase my max stamina as well as the damage a stamina skill causes? Same for Magic, does it increase my max magika plus increase the damage of magic based skills?
Pact Bloodwraith
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Your max stamina and magicka effect the damage of stamina and magicka consuming skills respectively, so yes adding points would increase damage of skills that use those resource pools, so would using glyphs and buffs
    Edited by Nasuradin_ESO on April 21, 2014 12:08PM
  • joshweps
    joshweps
    ✭✭✭
    stamina determines damage done by weapons except staffs. Only your normal left click weapon damage

magic raises damage by all spells thats everything on your skill bar even if it is a sword weapon ability its dmg is determined by your magika
  • V19312
    V19312
    ✭✭
    I'm fairly certain that joshweps is incorrect, stamina affects stamina based attacks as well as auto attacks.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    V19312 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that joshweps is incorrect, stamina affects stamina based attacks as well as auto attacks.

Auto attacks?

Pact Bloodwraith
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaerth wrote: »
    V19312 wrote: »

Auto attacks?

he means left/right click.. ie light/heavy attack
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess I will have to focus my points into either stamina or magika then, lol, to keep my damage highest it can be.
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • Xancathb16_ESO
    Xancathb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    joshweps wrote: »
    stamina determines damage done by weapons except staffs. Only your normal left click weapon damage

magic raises damage by all spells thats everything on your skill bar even if it is a sword weapon ability its dmg is determined by your magika

Actually, through testing it's been confirmed that staff light/heavy attacks derive their damage from weapon damage/stamina, NOT magicka. Although the staff abilities still derive their damage from magicka.

And yeah, stamina determines the damage/effectiveness of abilities that use stamina as well as light/heavy attacks.
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this still holds true since launch but This is how things have been working

So basicly these are the factors:

Magicka:
    •Increases damage made by all magicka based attacks. (Also ultimates in trees which use magicka).

Stamina:
    •Increases damage made by all stamina based attacks. (Also ultimates in trees which use stamina).
    •Increases damage made by all weapon attacks. (Including staves)

Weapon damage:
    •Increases damage made by all weapon attacks. (Including staves)
    •Increases damage made by all skills in the weapon trees. (Including staves)

Spell damage:
    •Increases damage made by all skills (including Ultimates and stamina based ones), except the weapon trees. (Inlcuding staves)

These are the videos that explain everything stated above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_OIx7bp7g (Ability Damage & how it scales)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUATvbFDUQ (Weapon attacks & how they scale)
    Edited by Xnemesis on April 21, 2014 12:32PM
  • Kirsch9
    Kirsch9
    ✭✭
    I personally wish they'd do away with this whole "more stamina/magicka=more damage" crap... I really feel like they should just be pools to draw from. The damage done should be standardized and scale with your lvl and your weapon/spell damage, and the only way to increase your stamina/magicka abilities damage would be through potions, mundus stones, champion points, glyphs, set bonuses and certain abilities that buff your weapon/spell damage.

Take the NB for example:
    1) If you want to run a mostly stam NB and there are some abilities you want, only they don't morph to a stamina base, but you still want to use them for this build (i.e.- Impale, Debilitate, ect)... well, you could, but it's not going to work out very well due to the major damage difference between Impale and Killer's Blade and the DoT from Debilitate is super weak with all that stamina instead of magicka. So trash that build and go with a cookie cutter build.

2) You want a sneaky and stealthy NB? Well then you have to go magicka! Why you ask? Because if you waste any points via attribute points (or anything else for that matter) in magicka to be able to stealth more often... you nerf your overall damage output from all your stamina abilities because you didn't put them all in stamina... pretty lame really.

Like I said, IMO, Stamina Magicka and Health should ONLY be a pool to draw from and should not a multiplyer! It would make for much more interesting builds, because the way it is now... I feel like it's a "do it this way or you're doing it wrong" game. I mean ZOS's motto for this game is, "You can play the game how you want to play it"... No, no sir, you can not!

P.S.- I still love this game though XD
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is the "do it this way or you're doing it wrong" mentality comes from the players, not the game itself. Its not perfect of course and some of the points you said are true but where do you think fotm builds come from? Even the devs themselves post builds on their page that is not fotm builds.

Max damage should have been tied to either magicka or Stamina attributes. But im guessing the skills are tied to max stamina or max magicka because of lazy scaling. Its really to help make scaling easier because of the myriad of number crunching done with different abilities.

Just a note: assassin tree in the NB skill lines have a magicka return passive. Using impale or killer's blade helps gain magicka back. Putting a siphon ability in will also increase max magicka. Being a stamina build this helps tremendously with resource management. Its tricky but its doable and viable. I find that NBs are the easiest to play but hardest to master.

Just my two cents.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!