Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to Game / Difficulty Getting to Location(s)

peejaygee
peejaygee
✭✭
Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm an OK MMORPG player, have played things like WOW, GW2, etc, and I'm now on ESO, but I have a question.

Is it not as open world as say, World of Warcraft, let me explain.........

I'm trying to get from NE of the map to the SW, like 'The Rift' to 'Reapers March', even tried via Cryodiil... Is it possible, walking/mounted, etc

Or will I have to wait for a Quest to get me there?

Thanks for your help in advance.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually wow is not as open world as you think. They manage to 'clear' the border loading times due to flight in the old world and most of the new ones are just big zones that made you think it is open world.

Eso unfortunately is still zoned and while the zones in itself seems small, travelling from one end to another end does take some time.

Cyrodil is open world PvP zone so you need to log into a PvP campaign and enter via the quest given.

You can also use your guildies and travel to wherever they are provided:

1) they are of the same faction
    2) not of the same faction but you have done cadwell's silver and gold, allowing you access to other faction zones.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You are limited to traveling only within your home alliance zones at first. You can travel to Cyrodil when you reach level 10 and to Craglorn when you reach veteran ranks (level 50 and up). Be warned though that both areas are difficulty for low levels. You can travel to any zone within your home alliance, but note that you will be woefully under leveled for the content. For most zones, you can ride or walk to the the next zone. Generally speaking, sticking to the main roads is safe. As mentioned above, if you are in a guild, hit G, select the roster and look for a guild member at your desired destination. R-click and select Travel to player. You will be delivered to the wayshrine nearest the player. Player must be a member of your faction. After you have completed the main quest, you will receive Caldwell Silver quest, which will allow you to travel to the first zone there. Which alliance you get depends on which alliance you are. You have to complete the main quests for Silver, and then you can travel to Gold zone. Once you are in either Silver or Gold, you can use the methods above to travel to higher level zones. One last trick is to port to group dungeons. You don't have to play the dungeon, you can leave it and be in the zone. Once you discover any wayshrine, you can use it at will.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    The maps work very simular as to GW2 maps. You can cross them at designated places. This either done by a small valley or a fortification using a door. In some cases it is done by a boat (e.g. when the map is an island). if it is a valley, there is no portal like in GW2, but at a certain point you just start loading a new map.

You can't walk into cyrodill. The main reason from a lore perspective is that it is a warzone. The more importsnt technical reason is that it is a pvp format and you need to choose a campaign.So again simular to GW2's WvW you can only get there through the interface and by choosing a campaign. once you are in you can't access the other alliances either. You will gain access to them later on (or sooner by creating a new character in those alliances).
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game is on rails from start to stop sort of when it comes to the zones. Sorry to say there is no open world.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, once you are in the Silver quest (VR1 to VR5 zones), you can pretty much go anywhere within those five zones without being woefully over- or underleveled. The Gold zones (VR6 to VR10) are similar once you finish the Silver quest. However, before you reach level 50, you are pretty constrained with respect to which zones you complete in which order, because it's very hard to do, say, level 40 quests with a level 20 character. 5 levels above your level is difficult but mostly OK, but at 10 levels disparity you end up having a pretty frustrating experience.
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...however, it is kinda fun to tiptoe around a zone that is 10 levels above you, trying to get a skyshard or to a wayshrine.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you stick to the roads, you can pretty much go anywhere on the map that is in your alliance. Most of the time anyway. There are a few places where you have to leave the road and thread your way through mobs.

Ironically, it is at lower levels that I have the hardest time getting past mobs like this, at upper levels when I can handle them (but choose not because of time or laziness) I can get by just about any mob with ease.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you have a mount and you've maxed out your riding skill for speed and stamina, you can pretty safely gallop right past almost anything...
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, before you reach level 50, you are pretty constrained with respect to which zones you complete in which order, because it's very hard to do, say, level 40 quests with a level 20 character. 5 levels above your level is difficult but mostly OK, but at 10 levels disparity you end up having a pretty frustrating experience.

I remember the days when this used to be true, but not anymore ...
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/170555/you-know-eso-is-too-easy-when/p1
    dry.gif