The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New to TESO

Muffi88
Muffi88
Soul Shriven
Hello, I'm fairly new to TESO, didn't even create my character yet cos I'm still downloading.

My friend bought the game for me, he didn't play either and we think about getting it for our girlfriend.

So here's my questions as a newbie :smile:

Which Faction/server has the highest population? We love it when it's crowded.
Does the game have a shortage of tanks/healers?
Is it true that I could make a stealthing mage or platewearing rogue etc? Can I go wild or is that not recommended?

thanks in advance :blush:

• Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most populated server is the Ebonheart Pact, and the least is Daggerfall Covenant.
    Each "class" is more of a specialization than a class, giving you an edge in certain areas. i.e. Templar excels at support and healing. But because no skill lines are class locked (save for the class skill lines) any class can play any role, in any armor type, with any weapon type. Needless to say, some are better for the job than others, but build your character(s) how you want.

Plate Rogue? Dual Wielding, Heavy Armored Nightblade.
    Stealthy Mage? Any class, really, but Sorcerer fits the mage archetype best. Just use a staff and your choice of armor.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Muffi88
    Muffi88
    Soul Shriven
    Would I be rejected by groups as e.g a....extreme example...Platerogue with Healing capabilities?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jump on in...splash around. The water is fine :smiley:

Welcome
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muffi88 wrote: »
    Would I be rejected by groups as e.g a....extreme example...Platerogue with Healing capabilities?

Depends on the group tbh. If they are after a quick/successful run and are the min/max type...it's a possibility.

However, if you found other in game friends not after the stereotypical builds and don't mind maybe taking the extra time/harder fights, or OP enough to carry the extra burden...play exactly how you want.

Maybe check out some builds at deltiasgaming.com/ or tamrielfoundry.com/ for some insight as to what is working really well in game
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO! ^_^

As Ffastyl says, there are many options. Every class has access to every weapon and armour type, and you can fill any role you want (tank, healer, DPS, even some kind of general support) regardless of class. Some classes excel more than others, but all are viable with the right build. Also note that at level 15, you get a second ability bar you can switch to mid-combat, which also lets you switch weapons.

Basically, the game revolves around your three attributes: Magicka, Health, and Stamina. You spend Magicka and Stamina to use abilities, and the more you have, the more times you can cast abilities. Higher Magicka or Stamina also increases the power of skills that use either one. Health is exactly what you would expect: More health, you live longer. Everyone probably needs to focus at least a little bit on health.

Damage-dealers will focus on either Stamina or Magicka. Healers should probably focus on Magicka. Tanks mostly focus on Health, but also a bit in Magicka or Stamina to support their tanking.

Physical weapons (two-handed, one-hand-and-shield, dual-wield, and bow) rely on Stamina. Destruction staves, Restoration staves, and most class abilities rely on Magicka.

Light Armour supports Magicka, Medium Armour supports Stamina, and Heavy Armour supports Health. You can also use enchantments and get special set bonuses to improve your usage of these attributes, too.

Personally, I'm a Sorcerer and I used to use medium armour, dual daggers and a bow, and this was tons of fun and pretty effective. But then I decided I wanted to try a pure Magicka build, so now I use 5 Light, 2 Heavy, a staff on one ability bar, and dual-wielding on the other.

As you level up, feel free to experiment and try new things! If you don't like what you're doing, try something new. There are tons of skill points out there to find, and you can also reset your points and change them later. Trying new things is the #1 way to figure out what kind of build you want.
    Edited by Mivryna on May 31, 2015 8:15PM
  • Muffi88
    Muffi88
    Soul Shriven
    Also most Populated Server Ebonheart pact? I thought that's the faction o.o

Also is there a respec?
    Edited by Muffi88 on May 31, 2015 8:17PM
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Platerogue with Healing capabilities?

I have seen that put to practice.
    It works.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Ocelo
    Ocelo
    ✭✭

Also is there a respec?

There is only a Megaserver (One for North America and other for Europe) but you can only see the members of your faction in the PvE areas, in Cyrodiil you can see the other players of the enemie factions.

And yes there is respec that costs ingame money.
    Edited by Ocelo on May 31, 2015 8:39PM
    A solo player that doesn't mind some help.
    ---
    • Ocelo - Khajiit Templar - V14
    • Eats-Many-Flies- Argonian Nightblade - Lvl 11
    • Janah Alghurab - Redguard Sorcerer - Lvl 4
    • Urok gro-Gargush - Orsimer Dragonkknight - Lvl 3
    • Ulfgard Arm-Crusher - Nord Templar - Mule
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There are no plate rogues , bloodmages ,knightblades and any of the various assorted nonsense that you hear around here.
    The game has 4 Classes and each class has the possibility of filling 6 possible roles in group PVE. These roles are good tank, good healer, good dps,crappy tank, crappy healer and crappy dps. There are various(more varied than other games) but limited ways of filling the first 3 roles and almost unlimited ways of filling the last 3. If you will insist of filling one of those last 3 roles you will have difficulties finding groups or completing content with pugs.
    On the other hand you can't fail in content that is not meant for groups.No matter what type of build you take.
    Edited by PBpsy on May 31, 2015 9:06PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    PBpsy wrote: »

There are no plate rogues , bloodmages ,knightblades and any of the various assorted nonsense that you hear around here.
    The game has 4 Classes and each class has the possibility of filling 6 possible roles in group PVE. These roles are good tank, good healer, good dps,crappy tank, crappy healer and crappy dps. There are various(more varied than other games) but limited ways of filling the first 3 roles and almost unlimited ways of filling the last 3. If you will insist of filling one of those last 3 roles you will have difficulties finding groups or completing content.

I've been pretty successful with a stamina bow + dual-wield build that used no class skills. When I get around to it, I'll try a few others as well.

I've even managed to tank and heal as a sorcerer with very little issue when I used the right build.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    best bet dont hybrid and you should be fine either be a melee hitter or magika hitter never both
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Min/maxing (the practice of playing in the best, most efficient way for a role) while possible in ESO, it is far from necessary, and that's what makes this game so great. There is no "you need X armor pen or we won't take includ you in this dungeon because you can't damage the boss". The game just isn't hard enough for that to happen. You might find players that act like that, but that doesn't mean you have to play a certain way to succeed. Play however you want. If you're skilled, you'll do fine.
  • C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    Have a fishy stickSrWMxAl.png

Edited by C0pp3rhead on June 1, 2015 2:43AM
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
  • Muffi88
    Muffi88
    Soul Shriven
    I really love putting fishsticks into my mouth
  • Yukian
    Yukian
    ✭✭✭
    No, have a whoopie cake instead!
    whoopie-pie-featured-image.png
    PSN- Caleo95
    Devout follower of Sithis
  • leshpar
    leshpar
    ✭✭✭
    Come fight for the Pact with me.

One good thing is you really can play how you want in this game. Of course there are some things that will be better/easier with certain things. Like if you're a tank in light armor you're gonna have a bad time, but most things you can get at least semi working well.

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ocelo wrote: »

Also is there a respec?

There is only a Megaserver (One for North America and other for Europe) but you can only see the members of your faction in the PvE areas, in Cyrodiil you can see the other players of the enemie factions.

And yes there is respec that costs ingame money.

To clarify - there is a skill and attribute respec in-game, but no class or faction respec.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp