Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mac client crashing constantly since last patch

AlienSlof
AlienSlof
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I play on both Mac and PC, but lately, my Mac client just crashes constantly. I can't get more than a minute or two of play before it's crashed out again. It used to be more stable than the PC one but now it's simply unplayable. It seems to have been getting gradually worse since the last couple of patches. Before that, it was rock-solid.
Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention; it happens most often when I'm in town. My character has been trying to do his crafting in town, between crashes.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you on 2.0.9 yet? Because after the hotfix, in which some core optimizations were rolled back, versions 2.0.6, .7, and .8 have been nothing but rock stable for me, even after hours of play time.

Please try playing with all addons disabled and report back whether you're still seeing those crashes. Also, your system's specs and graphics settings might be interesting.
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Greetings @AlienSlof !

@KhajitFurTrader has some great suggestions for getting some more information so we can help you out. Additionally, if you have submitted a customer support ticket, please feel free to post the ticket number here so we can take a deeper look into it for you!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • JNight
    JNight
    I just came here to post a thread about this too. My case isn't too severe like AlienSlof's crashing every few minutes though. I get it after a few hours of playing, with a crash report dialog... but something different happened just now. I was just riding my horse then the game froze and then crashed, with the normal os x crash report window, instead of zenmax's.

These crashes are occuring a lot since last week.

Edit: my specs for reference.

Yosemite 10.10.3
    Late 2013 27" iMac
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB
    (1tb+ fusion drive, if thats relevant)

Edited by JNight on May 20, 2015 5:57PM
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am one of those people affected:

I am on 10.9.5 13", Mid 2010 MBP
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB Memory 1067 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M

(if these helps).

But I can confirm that after 2.0.9 patch, I have been crashing after two minutes. Previous patches have provided stable play, but not after this patch. I have another macbook (Mid 2011) and still the same.

When I crashed, there wasn't any black screen or freezing of the whole computer. When I crash, the whole game client closes on its own.
    Edited by Qyrk on May 20, 2015 7:21AM
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Greetings @AlienSlof !

@KhajitFurTrader has some great suggestions for getting some more information so we can help you out. Additionally, if you have submitted a customer support ticket, please feel free to post the ticket number here so we can take a deeper look into it for you!

System specs are:

OSX Yosemite v10.10.3
    iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

The Mac client was running really, really well up to this last couple of patches, whereas my husband on his Windows was getting the odd crash here and there. I'd not had a single crash on Mac since coming back to the game when it went B2P until just recently.

I have the game set up identically on both Mac and Windows (Bootcamp), so that whichever OS I'm currently on, I can fire up the game and play.

Thanks for taking a look at this for me! :)
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, from the reports it seems that with the latest patch 2.0.9 something went south again. Sadly, I haven't been able to play much lately, something called "RL" got in the way. So I've not yet experienced the newest crashes first-hand. But I'll get to it if I can find the time.

@Chris.Dillman, any ideas?
  • JNight
    JNight
    Oh and speaking of crashes and freezing.. i've been having a weird freeze sometimes when i open my journal. The whole game would freeze up for about 15-20 seconds then resume and open the journal window. Been happening ever since i first started playing the game and it occurs randomly, as far as i can tell.

Not sure if it's a common issue or not. Just wanted to mention it and see what you guys think.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay, after playing a pleasant 30 minutes or so on VR1 Kenarthi's Roost (questing alone, next to no player traffic), I got a crash alright. Viewport froze for 1-2 seconds while moving around, then CtD occurred. It wasn't caught by the ZeniMax CrashReporter though, but by the OS itself.

Edit: Forum software can't handle it, crash report follows below.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on May 20, 2015 6:59PM
  • Suntzu1414
    having the same problem.

Its happens after playing for a while, in pvp (this is where i notice the most).
    Slowly alts will become desync ( delayed), and their movements will be out of phase.

then it will crash.

the worst case of this..recently.
    I was head healer in Trails....and even though i reloged (3x).
    It kept desync,crash(repeat)...to the point i had to quit.

As you could imagine.
    there were quite a few *** off people...so ive quit pvp/trails for now.

Kill Well
    ST
    DC - NB VR15 - Khajit - DW / S+B / Bow
    DC - NB VR 15 - Wood Elf - S+B / Resto
    DC - TP VR 15 - Brenton - Resto / Dual Wield
    DC - SC VR 12 - High Elf - Desto / Dual Wield
    EP - TP VR 5 - Nord - 2hd / 2hd
    EP - DK 20 - Imperial - S+B / Desto / Bow
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    I forgot to mention; it happens most often when I'm in town. My character has been trying to do his crafting in town, between crashes.

We found 2 recent crash resorts from you.

Look like you are running out of memory insanely fast when in some towns.

Are the towns really crowded?

Only think we can suggest for now is turning down graphics settings.

Have you tried on meduim?

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    JNight wrote: »
    I just came here to post a thread about this too. My case isn't too severe like AlienSlof's crashing every few minutes though. I get it after a few hours of playing, with a crash report dialog... but something different happened just now. I was just riding my horse then the game froze and then crashed, with the normal os x crash report window, instead of zenmax's.

JNight,

The 32 bit game client tends to run out of memory usually after 3-4 hours
    of game play depending on your OS version and what you are doing.

We suggest restart in the client every 2 hours to keep from crashing.

Just logging in and out may be enough.

Take a look at ram usage in Activity Monitor app.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • JNight
    JNight
    Ok, this is getting out of hand. Other than the other random crashes like using a wayshrine or engaging a group of enemies, this is the worst now. Almost every time i use a dye station, no matter how long i've been in gaming and not even doing much, my game crashes. Even when the game has been running for approx 30 mins, with not many players around. Crashes range from just interacting with the station, or after dying a few slots.