Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How can I get out of ESO when it locks up in full-screen mode?!

Nova Sky
Nova Sky
✭✭✭✭✭
Everyone:

This is getting old. So far, every button combination I attempt does nothing, and I'm forced to unplug the iMac. This is freaking preposterous! Please tell me I'm missing an elementary step that will allow me to escape a full-screen lock up of ESO without having to pull the plug on my iMac!
"Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi @Nova Sky,

as I've written here, you can try to kill the client's process via ssh from a second machine. Or you can try to run the game in Windowed mode. I've also found that the process will eventually be terminated if you just let it sit long enough.

Cutting the power to your Mac is not recommended, as it can leave the file system in an undefined state, which may lead to data loss or corruption. If you've done so a few times already, you should boot your Mac into the Recovery Partition and run a volume check with Disk Utility.

Edited by KhajitFurTrader on May 15, 2015 11:41AM
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    I presume you tried holding down the cmd-alt-shift-esc keys for several seconds? (This is the apple key combo for force quitting a full screen app)
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    Nova Sky wrote: »
    Everyone:

This is getting old. So far, every button combination I attempt does nothing, and I'm forced to unplug the iMac. This is freaking preposterous! Please tell me I'm missing an elementary step that will allow me to escape a full-screen lock up of ESO without having to pull the plug on my iMac!

Nova Sky

How often are you seeing crashes now?

If its like every 4 hours, we would suggest simply keeping an eye on the clock and restarting the app say a few hours into game play.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajit:

Thank you for the information regarding the recovery partition/process. I haven't had to use it, fortunately, but at least I now have a better idea of what to do if the need ever arises.

Seedier:

Yes, I tried that combination. No go with it.

Chris:

It's done it twice now in the last week. To be fair, the lockups occurred after extended gameplay of three to four hours or a bit longer. The second lockup occurred just a few minutes ago, but I had the game in windowed mode when closing out of it, so I just force quit the ESO app.
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • JNight
    JNight
    Yeah, this is an annoying issue. I had to get used to switching to windowed mode before quitting the game, in case this happens, so i can force quit.