The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Armor rating system, ESO vs Skyrim

Koorta
Koorta
Hi All,

This is a noob question but I haven't worked it out from ESO wikia pages and the like. How does the armor rating system work in ESO?? Does each item add its own value and the sum total is mathematically related to the damage you take in combat? Is there a cap beyond which is useless to improve your armor? Can you check your total armor rating value?

I remember in Skyrim, the cap was something like 547 and it was the same for Heavy or Light armor, so you could easily reach it with light and the advantage (besides not looking like a tank:) was you get much more inventory space because light weighs less than heavy. That seems to not matter in ESO, since they're all treated as single items regardless of weight.

I just left Auridon, so still close to the beginning of the game, but for now it seems Heavy armor is a better choice, you survive longer. I've seen passive abilities that come with each armor and it comes down whether you want more health, stamina or magicka, so totally personal choice. I use up stamina abilities first when in combat but that all can change when I get to better abilities.

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the latest game updates on heavy armor, it provides both the best physical and magical defense in the game.

Since your new to the game, one of the best ways to work armor up is to actually wear some of all three armor types. Get one piece of each armor with "training" on it so they level up faster. This way when you reach higher levels, all of your armor skill is maxed out.

Most end game builds run 5 of their main armor type. Tanks will use heavy, NB's usually use Medium and Healers and Sorcs go with light. It's not uncommon for magicka users to go with 5 light and 2 heavy for extra protection. I run with 5 LA, 1 MA and 1 HA for Undaunted passive bonuses.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's an awesome Active Skill in Heavy too, which is well worth having. "Immovable" which gives you 5s of immunity to knockback and disabling effects.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The individual Armor ratings from each armor piece is directly translated to your Physical and Spell Resistances with a multiplier from your passives. Certain class and racial passives add flat values to certain resistances (e.g. Breton and Templar increase Spell Resistance). Armor passives and the late-game Champion passives confer a multiplier to the Armor rating of their respective types.

As stated by @Robbmrp , Heavy Armor provides the highest mitigation in game by a potentially wide margin. Medium Armor has a rating 3/4ths that of Heavy Armor, and Light Armor has a rating 1/4th that of Heavy Armor (excluding multipliers from passives).

The hard cap for mitigation is 50%, however the Resistance value at which this is achieved varies by level. For Veteran Rank 14 characters, the mitigation cap is achieved at 32,500 Resistance, conferring 1% damage reduction per 650 Armor rating. There is no indicator for when the hard cap is reached. Going beyond the hard cap provides a buffer against armor piercing abilities and debuffs.

Magic, Fire, Frost, and Lightning damage types are mitigated by Spell Resistance. Physical and Poison damage types are mitigated by Physical Resistance. Disease is likely mitigated by Physical Resistance, but this is not confirmed.
    Edited by Ffastyl on May 6, 2015 10:19PM
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Koorta
    Koorta
    Thanks for the detailed answer Ffastyl!

Help me understand, if the hard cap for mitigation is 50% that means you take only half of the damage the enemy deals. Can you reach 50% mitigation with Light and Medium armor? If so, does your clothing skill have to be at a much higher level than your blacksmithing skill for producing the same rated Heavy armor??

Actually what does a higher level of any skill bring besides unlocking better abilities??
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since items are rated based on their level and not your crafting level, you could never get to 50% mitigation in Light or Medium Armor even with the reinforced trait. Before 1.6 that was possible as people were tanking in Light armor. But no longer.

Unfortunately your crafting level only determines what skills you can unlock with skill points. A level 10 item made by a level 5 or level 50 blacksmith has the exact same armor rating.

The only way to make an item stronger than the base levels is to improve it with Resins, Tannens or Tempers. The higher the item color the more armor/damage the item has/does. Even at legendary improvement, Light and Medium armor will not get you to the 50 % mitigation level.
    Edited by Robbmrp on May 12, 2015 4:21PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Koorta
    Koorta
    Oh wow, thanks for finally setting that straight. I saw some posts on the forum, obviously from before 1.6 that talk of 50% mitigation on all three armor types... Heavy it is for now I guess. I mean I prefer the look of Light and Medium, but higher mitigation is more important for now, maybe it'll change once I get level 50.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koorta wrote: »
    Oh wow, thanks for finally setting that straight. I saw some posts on the forum, obviously from before 1.6 that talk of 50% mitigation on all three armor types... Heavy it is for now I guess. I mean I prefer the look of Light and Medium, but higher mitigation is more important for now, maybe it'll change once I get level 50.

Well, there is the other side of this, just how important is Armor? If you play a certain way, you may never take a hit from an enemy. There are also shields I can call up on my light armored* sorcerer that can effectively stop any incoming damage, or make it so I can ignore it. So, Heavy might seem the best on paper if you just look at Armor Mitigation. But if you include the Passives from Light or Medium and how they can synergize with your class/build, then Heavy may not be the best over all choice.

*She wears 5 Light, and 2 Heavy. The Heavy pieces almost double her armor rating.

Edited by Nestor on May 13, 2015 10:13PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"