Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Drop

Snoopsy
Snoopsy
✭✭
Hi,

I normally don't have a lot of issues with FPS or anything, but lately I have noticed utter poor performance of the game. First, all the graphics settings are set to Medium, so whatever defaults come with Medium is how I am running the game currently. Usually in major hubs and open-world areas, my FPS sits around 15 to 20 (if I'm lucky with the 20.) And when I get into combat, it can easily drop below 10. I see people that complain about it falling to 40, which I can't even achieve. Other random facts: my latency sits around 100 usually. I previously started downloading the PTS, but decided against it and stopped it 1% through. (Though I doubt that has anything to do with it.)

Computer stuff:
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Adapter String: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
Bios information: Intel Video BIOS
Installed RAM: 8.00GB

Any suggestions to improve performance?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 means you are not reaching the minimum system requirements: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3315/kw/requirements

These Intel "GPU's"are not real GPU's at all, but it is an emulated GPU on your CPU. This technology is mostly used in laptops (though some PC's and crossovers have the same thing). Those laptops are much less suited for gaming then laptops with a physical GPU. It is also the main reason why you are experiencing problems.

As you are running with specs less then the minimum required specs, the game is no longer supported and it runs on best efford.

I know it sounds harsh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.So really sorry, but in this case the only solution is getting a better laptop or PC

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
    Answer ✓
  • Xilidevil
    Xilidevil
    I would suggest turning the shadow quality down and the.. subsample thing I can't quite remember what it is. But I know those two can be quite the fps hogs on most computers. I also suggest tampering with the partical density and all that stuff and the view distance. If that doesn't help then I apologize for not being able to help!
    • Former WoW Player, SWTOR Player, Neverwinter Player
    • PS4 Player
    • PSN: Othiion

Odon von Gerhardt (DC) Templar, Werewolf, Imperial
    Lareas nightblossom (DC) Nightblade Archer, Werewolf, Bosmer
    **Need a werewolf bite for free? Contact my characters ingame and I will provide**
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snoopsy wrote: »
    Hi,

I normally don't have a lot of issues with FPS or anything, but lately I have noticed utter poor performance of the game. First, all the graphics settings are set to Medium, so whatever defaults come with Medium is how I am running the game currently. Usually in major hubs and open-world areas, my FPS sits around 15 to 20 (if I'm lucky with the 20.) And when I get into combat, it can easily drop below 10. I see people that complain about it falling to 40, which I can't even achieve. Other random facts: my latency sits around 100 usually. I previously started downloading the PTS, but decided against it and stopped it 1% through. (Though I doubt that has anything to do with it.)

Computer stuff:
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Adapter String: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
    Bios information: Intel Video BIOS
    Installed RAM: 8.00GB

Any suggestions to improve performance?

Thank you!

That doesn't look right, especially with the specs you've got. Are you running on a laptop by chance?

676 CP
    Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
    Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
    Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
    Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been having problems with FPS lately also, PvE zones are fine but in Cyrodil I'm getting crippling FPS drops (as low as 5fps) at completely random times.
    Doesn't seem to matter where I am or what I'm doing, big battles with lots of players or in the wilderness by myself, my FPS will suddenly drop ridiculously low for 15-20 seconds then just as suddenly jump back up to 50+ with no obvious explanation.
    Set to low graphics, disable all addons, avoid large groups of players and still have the same issue but only in Cyrodil and at completely unpredictable random times.
    While monitoring performance, memory usage is stable but I have noticed some large cpu spikes.

I had the same problem a few months ago but it was fixed after a patch, only started happening again in the past 2 weeks.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    This happens to me as well. For a few seconds I'll be at 4FPS and then it comes back as if nothing happened.

It doesn't appear to be crowd-dependent. I can be in Daggerfall surrounded by other players and FPS will be fine. I can be off by myself in some Divines-forsaken tundra and it'll crawl down to 4FPS, then bounce back up again.

Possibly related (but maybe not), I'll be in situations where FPS will be fine (apparently) but I won't be able to click anything... and then a minute later I'll be booted to the login screen. Then I log back in and everything's fine.

... that last one is really inconvenient when it happens in combat.