The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to use the LFG tool (Grouping Tools Guide) - how to get better results

NewBlacksmurf
NewBlacksmurf
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Though it seems obvious, its not so I'm going to post a guide hopefully to improve the logic and understanding around this tool and how to get better results.

How it works:
-Hit "P"
-select the dungeon mode (even if you're not queuing for a dungeon) Normal or Veteran
-select your preferred roles (please only choose a role that you can fulfill based on character skills and items) Tank, Healer, Damage
-select the activity type that matches the previous selections (options appear in the drop down) ie:If you chose Veteran under dungeon mode...select veteran dungeon.
-make a selection under "Location In"
- choose the group size (understand that certain encounters and results are preset so some choices may be greyed out)
- hit "R" to start searching (you can also invite people in this menu)
- after it starts searching....click the shield looking logo so you can see when people are added

From here you can keep doing whatever you like until a group is formed.

Other info:
-If your only role is Damage, the queue will take longer as there are more players who choose this role over Tank and Healer.
-It's suggested that in addition to being in the queue that some players find benefit in asking other using zone chat to join them or enter the queue as well.
-Realize that the success rate of your character being group is based on the number of players within your faction, within a 5 level range who are queued at the time you are queued and where all three roles can be filled. If you find yourself in a queue for very long amounts of time, think about what you're queued for, how many players that may be within 5 levels (this is not just 5 levels of you but all members would need to be within 5 levels of themselves)

The function of this tool is straightforward but under constant criticism and question.

*In closing, the tool does work but its not without error.

**NOTE**
This Grouping Tools is not a group finder...Let me explain.
This tool by design is for a very specific filtered encounter instead of queuing to be placed with anyone in a category within level range.

ie: A Group Finder if it existed, would allow you to choose your dungeon mode, role and then queue. Maybe if redesigned it would add in an activity type but that's too limiting.

The Grouping Tools is designed for a player who knows exactly what they want to do and want to find others for that specific situation. (very, very limited)

Happy gaming
Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 17, 2015 9:16PM
-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think adding in screenshots would be beneficial. I think part of the problem may be people don't see where to change their role. Otherwise, great!
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Huggernaut
    Huggernaut
    ✭✭✭✭
    How to get better results:

- Don't use it, Shout in zone or ask in group chat

/end.

Honestly, that is all you needed to say lol. The tool as it stands right now is almost 100% useless. I wish it weren't so, but that is the cold hard truth.

Sorry!

Hopefully they will make a much more functional tool in the future, but until then, there is no reason to punish anyone by trying to get them to use that tool hehe.
    Edited by Huggernaut on April 18, 2015 3:07AM
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice guide, but it doesn't help when using a tool that has design issues. Meaning, four different players can queue for the same dungeon, each in her/his own role, and still not be put together.
  • miklawceb17_ESO
    Razzak wrote: »
    Nice guide, but it doesn't help when using a tool that has design issues. Meaning, four different players can queue for the same dungeon, each in her/his own role, and still not be put together.

Yeah we tried that, just for giggles. We were a party ready from a previous dungeon, decided to break the party and each use the lfg tool for the other dungeon of the same level. All 3 roles and all. Didn't put us together nor find any other party for anyone of the 4 of us for upwards of 30 mins. I know this isn't evidence of anything really, i just find it rather odd.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just completed 2 vet dungeons using the tool 100% no chat or guild etc as DPS. But I was queued for healer and damage
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 18, 2015 7:57PM
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1985 called, it wants its group finder tool design back.

"Role based auto-matching/filling" is an ancient concept and has no place in modern Group Finder tools. Given that MMORPGs are social games, players don't want to use ESO's archaic and outdated Group Finder. We want a modern Group Finder tool design. You know, a tool that:

For a group leader:
    - Let's someone start a group (they are the group leader)
    - Lets them mark which Dungeon, and which mode (normal/Vet)
    - Lets them indicate what roles they want (Tank, DPS, Healer)
    - Lets them set level requirements (Min and Max acceptable) i.e. "Min: V11 Max: V14"
    - Lets them post a comment, like "Experienced only" or "learning run, anyone welcome"
    - Can alter the parameters at any time (min/max level, roles needed, even dungeon or mode)

Then, as someone who is LFG, we want:
    - Bring up a list of all available Groups (all listings from the above Leaders) (unless the Leader has me on ignore, then I don't even see their listing!)
    - Filter the list by: Dungeon, Mode, and "Meets Requirements" (the reason I might want to see groups I DON'T qualify for is if I have Alts which DO qualify, and if I'm willing to swap to that alt to join).
    - Click on any Group(s) I am interested in, and click "Apply to Join" (can apply to multiple groups)

Then, as the Leader again:
    - I see all "Join Requests"
    - I see character name, class, level, role and a flag indicating if we are in the same guild(s) or not.
    - I can click "Accept" or "Decline" to add them to my group or decline their request.
    - Once the group is full, the listing automatically de-lists, and we are all teleported to the dungeon.

Simple.

Example from DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) (slightly modified for ESO)
    RealGroupTool_zpssboyinhp.png
    Edited by onlinegamer1 on April 20, 2015 6:49PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the above post. Looks like it was also shared here which is a short conversation about the tool

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1746771#Comment_1746771
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭

"Role based auto-matching/filling" is an ancient concept and has no place in modern Group Finder tools. Given that MMORPGs are social games, players don't want to use ESO's archaic and outdated Group Finder. We want a modern Group Finder tool design. You know, a tool that:

For a group leader:
    - Lets them set level requirements (Min and Max acceptable) i.e. "Min: V11 Max: V14"
    - Lets them post a comment, like "Experienced only" or "learning run, anyone welcome"
    - Can alter the parameters at any time (min/max level, roles needed, even dungeon or mode)

- Bring up a list of all available Groups (all listings from the above Leaders) (unless the Leader has me on ignore, then I don't even see their listing!)
    - Filter the list by: Dungeon, Mode, and "Meets Requirements" (the reason I might want to see groups I DON'T qualify for is if I have Alts which DO qualify, and if I'm willing to swap to that alt to join).
    - Click on any Group(s) I am interested in, and click "Apply to Join" (can apply to multiple groups)

- I see character name, class, level, role and a flag indicating if we are in the same guild(s) or not.
    - I can click "Accept" or "Decline" to add them to my group or decline their request.
    - Once the group is full, the listing automatically de-lists, and we are all teleported to the dungeon.

Simple.

Yep. Played DDO for 6 years. And the grouping tool was something I always liked. They definitely got it right when comparing the two.

Last night, we had some difficulty in our guild picking up a random tank. I couldn't run mine because they also needed a healer. So our random guy we picked up, didn't even know what taunts were at VR 14. And there were communication issues as he spoke limited English. Time consuming, and very frustrating.

There needs to be a way to select what you are looking for in a group with a free text option to further specify. It would save an awful lot of headaches.
  • Nhoxxx
    Nhoxxx
    ✭✭
    I don't get why there are still people who believe the tool is 100% working.
    Yes, sometimes it can find people to make a group with. That is if it doesn't group 3 DPS (and the 3 DPS only checked the DPS box), or if it doesn't group people who wanted different dungeons.
    I always use the tool while I look for a group. And almost every time find people before the tool does.

And honestly as someone said in another topic :
    Searching using the Finder for 4 hours during primetime and finding no group for the DAILY PLEDGE = broken.

Can you really believe that when there are at least hundreds of people connected, there is not even 3 persons who want to do the daily dungeon quest?

So explaining how the tool work and telling people to use it more is really a nice idea and players can't do much more than. But on ZOS side it would be really nice to have something to improve (or at least fix) their tool.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nhoxxx wrote: »
    Yes, sometimes it can find people to make a group with. That is if it doesn't group 3 DPS (and the 3 DPS only checked the DPS box), or if it doesn't group people who wanted different dungeons.
    I always use the tool while I look for a group. And almost every time find people before the tool does.

Searching using the Finder for 4 hours during primetime and finding no group for the DAILY PLEDGE = broken.

Can you really believe that when there are at least hundreds of people connected, there is not even 3 persons who want to do the daily dungeon quest?

So explaining how the tool work and telling people to use it more is really a nice idea and players can't do much more than. But on ZOS side it would be really nice to have something to improve (or at least fix) their tool.

Because it works 100% of the time for us.

Have you tried it with all addons disabled?
  • jenwa72ab14_ESO
    Being a new player and lower level, I would like to run the dungeons, but to be honest there is nothing in front of it to make me know if I'm a capable tank or a healer. Being a Templar I can heal, but I've done so little of it to this point I feel inadequate. As a tank, I can block, got a couple skills, but have no idea how good I can be or not. So I go DPS (never found a match) and to be honest I really don't know how good I am at that, however it is something I've been doing consistently from the start. The older mmo's, for some reason you just know what role you are and how to play it, by playing the game. ESO does a poor job in prepping for these specific roles.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a new player and lower level, I would like to run the dungeons, but to be honest there is nothing in front of it to make me know if I'm a capable tank or a healer. Being a Templar I can heal, but I've done so little of it to this point I feel inadequate. As a tank, I can block, got a couple skills, but have no idea how good I can be or not. So I go DPS (never found a match) and to be honest I really don't know how good I am at that, however it is something I've been doing consistently from the start. The older mmo's, for some reason you just know what role you are and how to play it, by playing the game. ESO does a poor job in prepping for these specific roles.

It doesn't really work like any other MMO. Throw those ideas away but pay very close attention to how your party plays and communicate and enjoy. Have fun!
  • jenwa72ab14_ESO

It doesn't really work like any other MMO. Throw those ideas away but pay very close attention to how your party plays and communicate and enjoy. Have fun!

Then perhaps they should drop the Tank, Heal, DPS delegation. What party? I'm looking for a PUG, I assume that is why the tool exists.

Edited by jenwa72ab14_ESO on April 30, 2015 3:18AM
  • MyNegation
    MyNegation
    ✭✭✭

For a group leader:

Simple.

the best grouping tool currently available in one of the best and the most underrated games.
    Nine worlds of lore, Such was the world in dark days of yore
    Safekeeper of the world then was Thor, Such was what they believed in before
    Nine were the worlds of lore
  • Reb
    Reb
    ✭✭✭

For a group leader:

Simple.

totally agree :smile:
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acording to my experiences the main problem of that crapy group finder we have is its inability to cope with the game beeing instanced. it only scans through your current instance to find matches wich is completly garbage as it forces you to hop around the world to find group members or a slot in a group.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭

Addons or not, the tool should work for nearly anyone of any level range looking to run group content. And it does not.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then perhaps they should drop the Tank, Heal, DPS delegation. What party? I'm looking for a PUG, I assume that is why the tool exists.

It still requires roles to be filled but not in the traditional way of other MMO games. The healer and tank roles are lenient depending upon the encounter and fight so in essence if you had 3 fps who can heal air occasionally or good HoTs then you may not need a healer ANd the healer should be doing spa if nothing else constantly with a healing staff

Tanking is moreso CC and blocking and taunting like other games but it's not always a full heavy armor and sword n shield player.

That's all I mean when saying lenient.

Many others have theories about the grouping tools and my best advice is for dungeons always use "any" rather than picking a specific dungeon.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 30, 2015 11:22AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evandus wrote: »

Addons or not, the tool should work for nearly anyone of any level range looking to run group content. And it does not.

I respect your opinion, I'm only offering solutions. Whether or not it should work with an add-on is based on the add-on and since ZOS doesn't make the add-on, when an add-on causes a conflict with the game you shouldn't blame the game developer but rather the add-on developers.
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭

I respect your opinion, I'm only offering solutions. Whether or not it should work with an add-on is based on the add-on and since ZOS doesn't make the add-on, when an add-on causes a conflict with the game you shouldn't blame the game developer but rather the add-on developers.

Except there isn't any conflict with addons I've ever been aware of. And I've been following/experiencing this issue since it popped up. And I can confirm with multiple accounts that the tool does not work the majority of the time in my experiences. Unlike your posts however, I don't bash those who are finding the tool to work for them occasionally. You are the only poster I've read that claims it works consistently 100% of the time.

My advice to you is to point out that your opinion is not absolute. Neither are your experiences playing with your friends. Your solution is not a solution at all. It is merely you forcing your opinion upon others in such a way that invalidates the experiences of others. That is not respect, nor is it constructive.

Thanks.

Edited by Evandus on April 30, 2015 7:58PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except there isn't any conflict with addons I've ever been aware of. And I've been following/experiencing this issue since it popped up. And I can confirm with multiple accounts that the tool does not work the majority of the time in my experiences. Unlike your posts however, I don't bash those who are finding the tool to work for them occasionally. You are the only poster I've read that claims it works consistently 100% of the time.

My advice to you is to point out that your opinion is not absolute. Neither are your experiences playing with your friends. Your solution is not a solution at all. It is merely you forcing your opinion upon others in such a way that invalidates the experiences of others. That is not respect, nor is it constructive.

Thanks.

Hey listen...it's working for some and not others. I'm offering solutions that are helping others.
    sorry if my suggestions aren't helping you

• jenwa72ab14_ESO
    MyNegation wrote: »
    DDO the best grouping tool currently available in one of the best and the most underrated games.

Perhaps it was, but since they don't have mega-servers or a way to cross over, it's pretty bare these days.
    Edited by jenwa72ab14_ESO on April 30, 2015 10:24PM
  • glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    acording to my experiences the main problem of that crapy group finder we have is its inability to cope with the game beeing instanced. it only scans through your current instance to find matches wich is completly garbage as it forces you to hop around the world to find group members or a slot in a group.
    So the best way to get a group with the group finder is to queue up then way shrine through all the popular spots?
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To verify the tool I'd like to see a thread started that had people willing to say "I will be on at this time to queue for this dungeon in the grouping tool"
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To verify the tool I'd like to see a thread started that had people willing to say "I will be on at this time to queue for this dungeon in the grouping tool"

I've seen that a few times...seems like a great idea since many want this.