The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Launcher needs to be "repaired" every time I start ESO.

JezebelTruant
Hello. I am very sorry to add a new thread to this board, but I am not entirely sure what to do. Every time I attempt to play ESO, the launcher requires a "repair" that takes about an hour. I have deleted the launcher and re-downloaded it, but I am still having this issue. This has only been going on since the last patch. Thank you for reading.
Oh, what a crippling existence nine-hundred years must be.
  • andarraghpreub18_ESO
    andarraghpreub18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Same here. I've been getting a Patch Manifest error every time I open it up. The repair will fix it, but then it will happen again the next time I open the launcher.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have experience of this on the PC, but it sounds like it's the same bug. Do not do the repair, but close and re-open the launcher - if necessary several times - so that the "play" button appears. Alternatively, again with the PC version, you can run the game once it is patched from the eso.exe file in the game folder and bypass the launcher until next patch day. I hope this helps with the Mac version too.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, what @Tandor said. As long as the client is fully patched and up to date, error 209 can be safely ignored. Closing and restarting the launcher should display the "Play" button again. Except, there's no eso.exe file anywhere. :smile:

Using the executable file of the client itself is a little bit involved and should not be necessary, as long as the trick mentioned above works.
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. Never had it until the latest incremental patch on Monday.

I did the repair, though, before I saw this thread. It only took 5 minutes or so — nothing corrupted, I imagine — and the problem went away ... well, until I launched ESO again later that night. It's back, but, as others have noted (to my relief), it can be worked around by simply relaunching the Launcher.

BTW, does anyone know *why* this is happening now? Did the patch introduce a glitch in the code somewhere?
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nah, it's been happening occasionally since launch, and I've been explaining it for half as long.

What happens is that the launcher periodically checks whether the local copy of the game client repository is in sync with the master copy on the CDN. To speed up the process, it doesn't go over every single file and compares versions numbers or CRC sums or whatever, instead it uses manifest files. If, for whatever reason, it can't check the local manifest files against the ones on the CDN, it throws the well-known error message. Since this seems to happen more often after an update to the game hit, I can only guess that the CDN response times are quite poor during the time it gets pelted by update requests and subsequent downloads, so that launchers run into timeouts a lot.
  • JNight
    JNight
    Yep, this has been happening to me too after the last patch. Can safely ignore it.
    Just relaunch the launcher until you can play.
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭
    When this happens to me, and it does occasionally, I will restart my computer. Then let the repair run. It hasn't failed me yet.
  • JNight
    JNight
    Evandus wrote: »
    When this happens to me, and it does occasionally, I will restart my computer. Then let the repair run. It hasn't failed me yet.

There's really no need to restart and repair though. just run the launcher again until it disappears.
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    I get this error after having launcher open for long time, simple close and relaunch fixes it for me (never had to click on "repair").
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭
    JNight wrote: »
    Evandus wrote: »

There's really no need to restart and repair though. just run the launcher again until it disappears.

My only point in stating what I have lies in not having to deal with the issue again. At least, until they break it on a future update. One and done, as they say.