The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Random boot-to-login (no error messages); issue since beta.

spc7633ub17_ESO
My wife and I really want to play this game, but during the beta and now during this weekend event we see the same issue. It happens on two different computers, with different builds (and different GFX cards, hers is a sinlge Nvidia and mine is Radeon Crossfire) - it is unlikely to be related to hardware. It seems to happen quite randomly, sometimes we can play for an hour, sometimes less than 5 minutes. It immediately crashes to the login screen, no error message is displayed. I have run verify multiple times. This was the primary reason we never stayed with the game. I ran the GameConsultant and the only thing that seemed off was the ping test failing. Recently I have been getting simply disconnected on my PC, but will remain in game until I logout.

The computers have even changed since beta, so I suspect it is a network or router issue. One PC has 6GB memory, one has 8GB of memory, I assume this should be ok.

I just went through and added port triggering, so hopefully that helps.
  • spc7633ub17_ESO
    Alas, it did not help. Still seeing the same issues. :(
    Options
  • Tashira
    Tashira
    ✭✭✭
    Been seeing this since the first patch after 1.6 dropped.... never had this issue before.

I have tried repairing the .net ... seems to help a little bit but I have had to restart the game roughly 3 to 6 times before it gets stable enough to play for several hours
    Options
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hi @spc7633ub17_ESO ,

In regards to your ping test failing, at what point does it begin to drop? Is it failing entirely, in the traceroute, or dropping off in the middle? Does it get past your modem, or does it stop before the 3rd hop?

When the game kicks you to a login screen, it is most often related to your connection. Being able to narrow down at what point in your connection you're having problems, we may be able to provide some more specific assistance. Thank you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me off and on since beta. By now I am 100% sure it is nothing to do with the connection on my end. It is either a server side connection problem or a game log in server problem.

I think the fact that there are no error messages indicates that it is not a client computer or connection problem.
    As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
    Options
  • Tashira
    Tashira
    ✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that ZOS has stated in multiple threads to numerous people that the issues are all related to their ISP.... I find this hard to believe as having worked in the IT field for quite some time.

This was not a really prevalent issues until the patch after 1.6. You would occasionally see some people with connections issues that may have been their ISP or their system configurations.

We have seen numerous people with these issues now and it does not seem to matter what the factors are, the first statement from ZOS is that it is the ISP problem.

I have all port forwarded firewall off, drivers updated, repaired .net , and set numerous setting recommended (usersettings changes, graphics settings, and so on) in the threads by ZOS but it still happens all to frequently.

When is ZOS going to admit they have an issue instead of pushing it off on people's ISP? Being honest with your customer base will win you more loyal customers than shrugging them off and lying to them.

Just my thoughts
    Edited by Tashira on April 20, 2015 6:58PM
    Options
  • spc7633ub17_ESO
    Apparently Windows 8/8.1 blocks ping responses by default, so that's why the test fails.
    http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-enable-ping-reply-response-in-windows-8-simple-steps

Now only this one fails;
    pinging: launcher.bethesda.net
    Pinging launcher.bethesda.net [198.20.198.100] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 12.250.61.26: Destination net unreachable.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Traecrt also fails for this.
    Options
  • Sensesfail13
    Sensesfail13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didnt have a problem as far as getting booted, it happened on and off here and there since pre-BETA and after the BETA release... and now this weekend it is constant about every 20 minutes I am booted to the login screen with no error messages for no reason whatsoever. It is most definitely not my end and ZoS needs to get their **** together because Im already irritated enough that I have no other way to level my characters than face grinding my way through silver and gold AGAIN but now I am interrupted during my beating my head on a wall sessions to watch the login screen and have to shut down the game completely and then reload it with no error message because ZoS DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!
    FIX THIS MESS YOU HAVE CREATED
    Wisherr, Dragonknight, Haderus, NA Server.
    Wisher of Naught, Nightblade, Haderus, NA Server.
    Guild officer: Abandoned Legion
    Options
  • spc7633ub17_ESO
    All of the other trace tests pass. Any suggestions?
    Options
  • nakti
    nakti
    Soul Shriven
    I have also experienced this issue.
    My computer is rather weak, but it handles TESO even on ultra quiet well.
    ...except that switches to login screen, that are so annoying.
    It's not the long internet failures - the games go in it's usual way (no freezes of other players and creatures) and then SUDDENLY it goes to login screen with no error. It might be very short disconnections - when i have long internet failures (for example, two minutes) all that two minutes client stays "online" except nothing moves and I cannot interact with anything, and in the first moment when computer is connected to the internet THE GAME GOES TO LOGIN SCREEN. I don't remember whether there is an error...
    I cannot fix the problem, that must be out internet provider, and it's unchangeable due to some reasons. All other games, internet services and so on (even sensible to smallest connection problems) go quite well... except TESO.
    :(((
    I've also thought that might be something in my software, as the game goes to login screen less often if I kill a lot of processes in task manager. It has also went quite well on a very fresh windows. But crashes still remained, once a day or so (comparing to 2-5 minutes from login in beginning of my playing TESO).

That also happened for me in the character selection or character creation screen.
    If this is an internet issue, why can't game handle a millisecond loss of connection?

Even if you there are right, even if EVERYBODY has so poor internet that breaks the connection quite often, WHY cannot TESO handle that millisecond disconnecting? EVERY other game CAN reconnect in this case, except TESO.

If you hide the real reason from us lying about the internet, than you make it even worse, saying that your game cannot deal with those small disconnections
    :<<<<<
    Edited by nakti on April 22, 2015 7:26PM
    Options
  • ZioGio
    ZioGio
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Windows 8/8.1 blocks ping responses by default, so that's why the test fails.
    http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-enable-ping-reply-response-in-windows-8-simple-steps

Now only this one fails;
    pinging: launcher.bethesda.net
    Pinging launcher.bethesda.net [198.20.198.100] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 12.250.61.26: Destination net unreachable.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Traecrt also fails for this.

That's the same IP address that I fail at, too; both from home and from work (Seattle, WA area).
    PC NA
    Options
  • ZioGio
    ZioGio
    ✭✭✭
    All of the other trace tests pass. Any suggestions?

Have you opened a support ticket? My results look a lot like yours and, after doing the preliminary steps, they escalated my ticket.

Below are the steps that I've been asked to take so far. They will likely ask you to do some steps you've already done before (I saw that you've already run a game consult report), but it's still good to do them in the order they ask even if you don't think it'll fix anything. Once you weed out what the problem isn't, then you can focus on what the problem is and skipping steps only wastes your time and the customer service agent's if you're chasing red herrings.

For you and everyone else getting constant disconnects, with or without the <<1>> error, I recommend starting with the steps detailed here: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27638/.

Moving the Depot folder and restarting the launcher may take a long while, so plan accordingly.

If that doesn't work, don't forget the next step, which is to contact customer support and make sure to attach the Game Consultant report.

In the report.txt file, towards the bottom, you'll see several tracerts. If most or all the tracerts time out, the next email you get from customer service may recommend port forwarding. It is highly recommended you instead use port triggering.

As a Comcast Xfinity customer using the Xfinity Arris router on the Medium Security setting, which I believe is default, I found that setting prevents outgoing ICMP.  Setting the router to Custom and not checking boxes for HTTP or ICMP should allow the computer to successfully ping the servers in the game consultant test. 

I also added ESO to my Windows firewall exceptions.

If you're still having issues with disconnections at this point, customer service will have some additional steps so it's best to continue working with them and follow their directions. Like I said, after all the above steps I'm still experiencing disconnects, but customer service has been on top of it, communicating with me daily.
    PC NA
    Options
  • spc7633ub17_ESO
    ZioGio, thank you for a great response. I will open a ticket; I think we are probably both at the same point in our attempts to fix the issue.

Does copying the depot folder to the desktop just re-download the game??
    Options
  • spc7633ub17_ESO
    To be more specific: drag and dropping moves the folder, which means it gets re-created by the patcher, which then downloads basically all of the data files. I guess that is sort of simpler than deleting, but then it still takes up 30+ gb's of space.
    Options
  • ZioGio
    ZioGio
    ✭✭✭
    ZioGio, thank you for a great response. I will open a ticket; I think we are probably both at the same point in our attempts to fix the issue.

Does copying the depot folder to the desktop just re-download the game??

You're very welcome! As for moving the Depot folder, yeah, it pretty much re-downloads the game. It took a couple of hours for me.
    PC NA
    Options