Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why are Xbox1 and PS4 players locked out from playing with PC players? ONE BIG MEGASERVER FOR ALL!!!

Aiden_Dark
Hi! I just wanted to ask why was the decision made to have players form consoles (Xbox One, PS4) playing on different servers than PC players? Was it due to technical or managements reasons? I truly believe that having different servers for Xbox One, PS4 and PC players is a HUGE MISTAKE since instead of one big growing community you're going to have three small, shrinking and isolated communities that are going to get diluted once the PC to console transfers are done. I know that from a technical aspect it can be done since we've had MMOs before that have shared servers between console and PC (FF11 was on PS2, Xbox360 and PC; FF14 is on PS4 and PC). I've heard that it may be to allow console players a head start to play without the interference from high level PC players but in any case the benefits from that are negligible when compared to playing alone on empty servers because everyone is isolated from one another. I highly encourage you to please reconsider while there's still time and allow ESO to grow and prosper as ONE BIG COMMUNITY ON THE SAME MEGASERVVER where everyone can adventure with each other no matter if you are on console or PC. Thanks!!!
  • Ace_SiN
    Ace_SiN
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been asking for this since early launch, but it's not going to happen it seems.
    King of Beasts

• nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did FF14:ARR do it with their PC/PS3 players? I can't quite remember.
  • Bahalul
    Bahalul
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

6iHM9eM.jpg
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the lag we have now you want to add more? No thanks.
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • Aiden_Dark
    PC master race is good and all but that in no way prevents a shared megaserver between consoles and PCs. In Final Fantasy 14 you have PS3 players on completely outdated hardware playing alongside their friends on the newer PS4 and super uber high end PCs without any problems whatsoever. I say there's no harm in asking for ONE BIG MEGASERVER FOR ALL!
  • yoda101280ub17_ESO
    Aren't those decisions usually determined by the console companies and not ZoS?
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't those decisions usually determined by the console companies and not ZoS?

Yes I think this has a lot to do with Microsoft and Sony.
  • Aiden_Dark
    I'm not quite sure who decides it... ZoS or the platform holders. That's what I would like to know.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want it too but not only its technically challenging (moar lag, anyone?), costly (need dem servers to get rid of lag), and political (Sony. Meet Microsoft. Now SHAKE HANDS!)(ignore Gabe, he's ready to hug anyone), it's also very very complex to design around (UI, leveling, game-mechanic limitations,etc.)

it's like..... sounds so simple, but it's actually opening up a new can of dragons.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Aiden_Dark
    I love this game and would like to support playing it on consoles but if this is how it's going to be there's no way I have the time or resolve to play two different instances of the game, on console and PC, to give it a try. Seems that if I stay on PC the community is going to dwindle and shrink and I'll loose some PC friends due to the PC>console transfers and on console maybe I'll get a low population server without mod support. A scary proposition either way I think.
  • Aiden_Dark
    I know it must me difficult but in the long term but I think it's worth it to have a big growing ccommunity. Lag has always been an issue, console players or not, and after seeing Final Fantasy 14 be reborn, pun intended, from the cataclysmic disaster of the first iteration and prosper on both consoles and PCs I say anything if possible if ZoS wants to make it happen for the wellbeing of its community.
    Edited by Aiden_Dark on April 20, 2015 3:07PM
  • Kublakan
    Kublakan
    ✭✭✭
    Aiden_Dark wrote: »
    ...I truly believe that having different servers for Xbox One, PS4 and PC players is a HUGE MISTAKE since instead of one big growing community you're going to have three small, shrinking and isolated communities that are going to get diluted once the PC to console transfers are done...

I dont know about console, but I certainly disagree with that on PC. PC servers will not shrink and you will not be alone for many years to come. We already have mega server for PC in a kind used to have many small servers. EQ, SWG, GW, etc... All had many PC servers. Why ESO with two mega server on PC would shrink? That will never happen, not after many years and the game gets old.

Kubla
    Edited by Kublakan on April 20, 2015 3:15PM
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Microsoft is notorious about keeping their multiplayer system closed off from the rest of the world. It's highly unlikely they would have ever certified a game that allowed cross-platform play on the Xbox One (it's why FF14 is only cross-platform on the PS4 and why DCUO is only available on PS4). MS hasn't allowed a cross-platform game since FF11.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not terribly interested in the idea of playing Cyrodiil cross-platform using a controller versus macro-running micro-DPI gaming mice and gamepads.

I think that one of the strongest benefits of consoles is that developers can guarantee what the hardware is going to be for all participants, and everyone stands on more equal footing as far as draw distances, etc. These can have huge effects on performance overall, and a more uniform system makes for a more competitive environment in PVE and PvP.

I quit trying to compete on PC a LONG time ago due to all of these discrepancies in hardware and hardware support, personally.

Plus, I really don't want to deal with spam, something which I just don't experience on consoles. Gold sellers, guild advertisements, even trade spam by players is far less potent and in-your face on consoles.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    PC > Console movement raction time and stuff
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi! I just wanted to ask why was the decision made to have players form consoles (Xbox One, PS4) playing on different servers than PC players?
    I see you are new here.
    One answer - it's because of PSN and XBLive networks policies.

Well, peoples, we have almost 1.5 month ahead.
    And i'm sure, we will see some similar posts until and since 9th June.
    Edited by LameoveR on April 20, 2015 3:27PM
  • GamerzElite
    GamerzElite
    ✭✭✭
    Our current Mega Server is unable handle PC crowd and you are saying bring console gamers in.. No thx a lot.
    . . . .., . ., Looking for PVX Guild in EP/DC
    Warden: GEonWAR (DC) Lvl in progress
    Sorcerer: Jaadugar (EP)
    Dragon Knight: Altep (EP) Unknown DK (DC)
    Templer: Tempu (EP) Unklnownwarrior (DC)
    Nightblade: Jaad NB (EP) Unknown nbl (DC)
  • Dennizon
    Dennizon
    ✭✭✭
    LameoveR wrote: »
    Hi! I just wanted to ask why was the decision made to have players form consoles (Xbox One, PS4) playing on different servers than PC players?
    I see you are new here.
    One answer - it's because of PSN and XBLive networks policies.

Well, peoples, we have almost 1.5 month ahead.
    And i'm sure, we will see some similar posts until and since 9th June.

And if we do so what. Don't read the posts if you are so bothered by them. Some people have a life and don't research these forums as if they are Wikipedia before posting.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bahalul wrote: »
    Why?

6iHM9eM.jpg

Rolf!!! Nice meme!
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question...here is my answer

1 The requirements of PSN and Xbox Live by default are not compatible with Zenimax's PC server
    2 The use of PC accounts instead of PSN accts and XBL accts doesn't follow and coincide with all three as there are differing terms and agreements
    3 Zenimax did not involve both Sony and Xbox in on early decisions so Zenimax found some functions and features outside of the console environments
    4 The console version wasn't ready for launch and was far behind PC development
    5 PC doesn't natively support voice chat and doesn't support controllers

That's my answers. Everything else is mostly opinionated so I'll leave it oout
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 20, 2015 3:45PM
  • Aiden_Dark
    I understand some of the limitations of sharing servers with consoles like the management decisions from Microsoft to not share servers with PS4 for example. But some of the other technical limitations just don't fly when you have clear examples of successful console/PC MMOs with shared servers like FF14, DCUO, etc. If SquareEnix was able to address some of these concerns then it stands to reason that ZoS should be able also if they want to and are given the resources to do it. And PC will certainly not die and be left without players but the drain of players towards consoles will certainly not help. I for one will jump boat along with many others who have already even form console guilds in preparation of the Xbox1/PS4 releases. In terms server capacity or lag, to me (i.e., non-computer savvy) one player is the same resource hog be either on PC or console, so in a sense it shouldn't matter to ZoS either way; they should be prepared with enough servers to handle the player influx and just wish for ANY player to get on and play on whatever client they choose to do so. And yes... I'm new to the forums but I have been a PC player for a long time. :)
    Edited by Aiden_Dark on April 20, 2015 4:01PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bahalul wrote: »
    Why?

6iHM9eM.jpg
    Plot twist: you're a laptop scrub like me and don't have half of these things.
  • Snoopsy
    Snoopsy
    ✭✭
    Sony agreed to work with Zenimax on attempting to create one megaserver; however, Microsoft does not want their player base playing with Sony players. This put Zenimax at a crossroads, and instead of showing favor towards one platform, they decided on a multi-megaserver system.
  • Aiden_Dark
    Great question...here is my answer

1 The requirements of PSN and Xbox Live by default are not compatible with Zenimax's PC server
    2 The use of PC accounts instead of PSN accts and XBL accts doesn't follow and coincide with all three as there are differing terms and agreements
    3 Zenimax did not involve both Sony and Xbox in on early decisions so Zenimax found some functions and features outside of the console environments
    4 The console version wasn't ready for launch and was far behind PC development
    5 PC doesn't natively support voice chat and doesn't support controllers

That's my answers. Everything else is mostly opinionated so I'll leave it oout

Very interesting. Thanks for the rational and well thought out response. :)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard it's because of the console's policies and Microsoft in particular, they won't allow shared servers for Xbox games. (I've also heard that, along with the subscription issue, was what delayed the console release.)

It might also be to do with some of the UI changes between the two versions. In particular the console version will have no text chat at all, only voice chat. Meanwhile the PC version is not getting in-built voice chat, we still have to use 3rd party programs like Teamspeak.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kublakan wrote: »
    Why ESO with two mega server on PC would shrink? That will never happen, not after many years and the game gets old.

I would say that the PC/Mac version of ESO is already growing "old" in the sense that it's on the decline and might already have too few players to be profitable, but we'll see. Good things may still happen, and I would be happy to be proven wrong, but the PC/Mac game is not looking healthy to me.
  • StaticWax
    StaticWax
    ✭✭✭✭
    nastuug wrote: »
    How did FF14:ARR do it with their PC/PS3 players? I can't quite remember.

FFXIV ARR is a PS4 exclusive. Quid pro quo, my dear Clarice.
    I wish nothing but joy for everyone.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snoopsy wrote: »
    Sony agreed to work with Zenimax on attempting to create one megaserver; however, Microsoft does not want their player base playing with Sony players. This put Zenimax at a crossroads, and instead of showing favor towards one platform, they decided on a multi-megaserver system.

Please don't speculate
  • wolfydog
    wolfydog
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft doesn't let ther stuff be shared with other consoles/pc.

And overall, I'd rather not have a bunch of console kids on my game anyways.