The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Consistent freezing

• gary.mcleodeb17_ESO
    Disappointed, same issue despite following advice as above, (windowed game, no add ons, etc)

I looked at my iMac inside out incase the problem is my end. Every test that I've done on my set up reports that there are no problems with my end, none that can be found anyway.

Crashed twice in 20 minutes during pvp exchange with multiple groups engaged in combat etc. Complete lock up, only able to use button to switch off, etc. On my return to game/Cyrodiil etc, I'm always in death view. Obviously i remain on the server during the freeze/switchoff/switch on/ log in/select character/etc etc..

Looking forward to this issue being resolved....

This issue is post most recent patch.

Thanks.

Chilli Chillama of Chillrend.

Language is the source of misunderstandings.
    'The Little Prince'
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“Say to yourself first thing in the morning: I shall meet with people who are meddling, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, and unsociable. They are subject to these faults because of their ignorance of what is good and bad.” Marcus Aurelius.

The grabbing hands
    Grab all they can
    All for themselves after all
    It's a competitive world
    Everything counts in large amounts

Depeche Mode
  • radicalb21
    radicalb21
    ✭✭✭
    I have also tried what was suggested Windowed Mode and No Add-ons still the problem persists. This really needs to be dealt with ASAP. When you as developers decide you want to add something significant to the client it would be nice to test it first rather then just push it live with no testing. I guess we have learned something here and hopefully we learn from our mistakes. Oh by the way the change made to the mac client wasn't even in the patch notes.
  • gary.mcleodeb17_ESO
    Okay, that's PvP out of bounds for me until this issue is sorted, merely less than 10 minutes of posting my most recent observation...getting back into Cyrodiil and begin to PvP, I get this dreaded lock up within 30 seconds of joining in what looked like a great battle. I appreciate you guys found no bugs/issues on test, but it's become a huge source of amusement amongst my PC user friends, who are now even suggesting I go out and buy Windows, then 'bootcamp' it just to play a game I've played since beta days way way back on mini mac, mac book pro and iMac without issue until yesterday.

What more can I say?

Edited by gary.mcleodeb17_ESO on April 15, 2015 7:07PM
    Chilli Chillama of Chillrend.

Language is the source of misunderstandings.
    'The Little Prince'
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“Say to yourself first thing in the morning: I shall meet with people who are meddling, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, and unsociable. They are subject to these faults because of their ignorance of what is good and bad.” Marcus Aurelius.

The grabbing hands
    Grab all they can
    All for themselves after all
    It's a competitive world
    Everything counts in large amounts

Depeche Mode
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    radicalb21 wrote: »
    When you as developers decide you want to add something significant to the client it would be nice to test it first rather then just push it live with no testing. I guess we have learned something here and hopefully we learn from our mistakes. Oh by the way the change made to the mac client wasn't even in the patch notes.

All clients on all platforms share a common code base. If changes are made (and they needed to improve core utilization, mainly for consoles), they'll affect all platforms, and these changes aren't necessarily mentioned specifically per platform in the patch notes. In fact, there have been only two or three such occasions in the past year. They're the exception, not the norm. Btw, the latest freezing issues have been reported to happen on the Windows platform, too.

Furthermore, you cannot realistically expect them to hold every Mac model that falls within the minimum system requirements at the ready for testing. If you want to actively help prevent such issues in the future, please participate in PTR testing.
  • radicalb21
    radicalb21
    ✭✭✭
    I do particpate in PTS testing but for all of testing update 6 I was unable to submit bug reports and feedback via the in game system
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    radicalb21 wrote: »
    I do particpate in PTS testing but for all of testing update 6 I was unable to submit bug reports and feedback via the in game system
    It may be necessary to invoke the bug reporting form via the /bug chat command. The reports still get send and are being received, it's just that there's no confirmation. With the introduction of Yosemite, the 3rd party HTML renderer that's being used to display the in-game Help section crashes while trying to show the default view of the knowledge base. This is again an effect of having a common code base, where even 3rd party tool libraries are shared across all platforms and cannot be replaced ad-hoc. I certainly don't envy them for having to wrestle with such a code base "beast", but the alternative - separate code bases for each platform - would be an unmanageable nightmare.
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Same freezing issue for me too... Hard freeze requiring system restart after playing 5-10 mins where I could play for hours prior to latest patch.

System :
    MBP 2009, 2.8 GHz Core2Duo, 8 Gb RAM
    Graphics: NVidia GeForce 9600M 512 Mb
    OS 10.10.2
    ESO 2.0.5.x

With current specs, was getting 20-40 fps and very playable normally. Sadly seem to be back at old problem of constant crashing with the latest patch... Will try in windowed mode and turning off the single add on I use and report back, but reading above don't expect this to help... Guess ESO will be out of bounds until next patch then...
  • Nicklas001eb17_ESO
    Nicklas001eb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    My mac also freezes since the last patch, freezes the whole computer. Sometimes comes back after 10-15 mins, mostly not at all, have to shut it down with the power button.

Windowed mode, no add ons, still freezes everything.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
    3,5 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB

Unplayable since patching.
  • Randay
    Randay
    ✭✭✭
    played both daily dungeons quests fluently without any freeze today.

played in full screen mode. have the impression it only occurs while in windowed mode.

if less really is more, then maybe nothing is everything
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    If you run ESO in windowed mode.
    and go Cyrodiil is the ENTIRE mac locking up or just ESO?

PS: Everyone please turn off all Add ons.
    @chris.dillman :
    Running in windowed mode and switching off the single Add-on i use (sky shards) possibly extends the time to crash by a couple of minutes. It also improves frame rate (which appears worse since last patch, running in windowed mode brings it back to pre-patch full-screen level), but freezes the whole machine (actually get the spinning beachball of death in windowed mode).
    My specs are listed in my previous post...

Hope this helps narrow down the problem - but until then is there any chance of a hot-fix rolling back to previous version? It really did work very well for me at least...
  • radicalb21
    radicalb21
    ✭✭✭
    I would support a rollback or hot-fix.
    Edited by radicalb21 on April 15, 2015 10:34PM
  • naturn
    naturn
    ✭✭✭
    naturn wrote: »
    Since this last patch my mac has been freezing a lot especially in Cyrodiil. It doesn't just freeze the game. It freezes the whole computer. A few times it suddenly released but mostly I have to restart my computer to continue.
    Edit: removed all add ons and 5 minutes in Cyrodiil my mac is frozen solid. It is really hard to pvp when you have to reboot the computer anytime you have a fight.

Imac 27 inch mid 2013
    proc: 3.2ghz intel core i5
    mem: 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675 1024 MB

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Hi Naturn

If you run ESO in windowed mode.
    and go Cyrodiil is the ENTIRE mac locking up or just ESO?

PS: Everyone please turn off all Add ons.

Thanks for your assistance in attempting to solve this problem. My entire machine locks up whether in window or full screen mode. It also happens with all addons removed and It happens both inside and outside Cyrodiil. It is really making game play very difficult because since my whole computer frequently freezes up now I have to keep rebooting my computer.
    Edited by naturn on April 15, 2015 11:39PM
  • bugmom
    bugmom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same problem here. Windowed or not. Addons or not. Sometimes it starts like a lag is happening but freezes. If I wait, sometimes the game will come back or a minute or so. Other times I have to power off and on again. I am mostly in Cyrodiil but don't think it is the usual Cyrodiil lag issue because it can happen as I am simply riding my horse across the country side.

IMa 27-inch Mid 2010
    2.8GHz, intel Core i5
    16GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024MB
    OSX Yosemite 10.10.2

• jjarrebring
    jjarrebring
    Soul Shriven
    I´m having the same problem since 2.0.5 on my Late 2012 iMac, 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB. OS X 10.10.2

I have no add-ons what so ever.

My computer locks entirely and force me to hard reboot.
  • Keoni
    Keoni
    Soul Shriven
    Game was locking every few mins. Disabled add-ons as advised - now game completely freezes and requires a hard reboot.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
    OS X Yosemite 10.10.3
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Probably not offering much more info, but in addition to the crashing problem persisting unchanged, there seems to be a significant memory leak.

I'm running the game in a non-admin account with no unnecessary background processes. Prior to the patch i would see at most half the available RAM being used (of the 8 Gb i have), now it seems to be 90%+. I'm not sure how a 32 bit game, which can use at most 4 Gb RAM seems to be using 6+ Gb - presumably there are secondary processes running?

It does seem like the memory hogging directly corresponds to the poor performance (frame rate wise) in the game and the poor fps is unaffected by rather dramatic reduction in graphics quality (e.g. significantly reducing resolution, switching off shadows altogether etc), ultimately leading to a hang. On one occasion, i was able to escape it by pressing cmd-alt-shift-esc for a long period of time, but mostly i have to reboot.

Crashing is inevitable within minutes of launching the game since the 2.0.5 patch, whereas pre-patch i would crash maybe 2-3 hours into the game and could run the game at much higher graphics settings with higher fps. I can see many have had similar experiences to me, and probably relates to less modern machines which exposes the underlying flaws quicker, as newer machines can seemingly compensate for whatever was changed...

Tis a bit annoying as i was just getting back into the game in a big way again...
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I updated to 2.0.5.1150504 this evening before logging in. I've been playing now for three hours straight without a single crash, lag, or low FPS. Was questing in Couldharbour, but often jumped back and forth to an absolutely packed Wayrest (EU). There's some sort of welcome back weekend going on, or so I heard. :wink:

CPU load was again evenly distributed between all four cores, but I got the impression that overall load was much lower than the last time I looked: it barely went over 25% this evening, in comparison to peaks around 50% last time.

These were the memory figures at the end of my playing session:
    9a22a5a539db320cd10297aedd3c52.png
  • TikiGamer
    TikiGamer
    ✭✭
    Limited time online tonight, but the problem my friend was having and I reported above has not occured since the hotfix went live.
  • mavelick
    mavelick
    Soul Shriven
    The hotfix seems works fine! I tried a few minutes and this issue is not occurred. Thank you!
  • radicalb21
    radicalb21
    ✭✭✭
    The hot-fix seems to have fixed the issues with freezing consistency.
  • Randay
    Randay
    ✭✭✭
    also worked fine for me now! keep observing ;)

and thanks for quick fix
    if less really is more, then maybe nothing is everything
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotfix resolved this for me. Played for several hours with no problems.

Thanks, chris.dillman!
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Agreed - hotfix resolved the crashing issue, as well as the memory hogging (back to using about 50% of RAM while playing).
    Possibly frame rates not quite as good as before but that may a settings issue... Thanks for the rapid resolution guys...
  • Alkeo
    Alkeo
    Soul Shriven
    The hotfix seemed to have worked for me too. I played a few hours with no lockups.

Thank-you.
  • naturn
    naturn
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for the hotfix. It did the trick for me too.