Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

how many skillpoints are needed for a crafting alt??

Ranique
Ranique
✭✭✭✭
In some guides it is advised to create an alt specifically for crafting (and use the bank to sent items and mats forward and back). As I understand it, the best way to do so is to level a character up to a certain point and then reset the skillpoints. My question is how many skillpoints are needed (and so, when can you stop leveling/hunting skyshards). Or am I totally wrong in how to set this up??
Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • renton1x1x1
    renton1x1x1
    ✭✭✭
    just for hireling is about level 18 it is possible to do before then but that means not having a second weapon or morphs certain skills. With a profession fully maxxed that requires an additional 19 skill points give or take.

So round about level 24-26 for a fully maxxed profession with hireling in other professions. this also means you have to each profession to 32 for 3/3 hireling and provsioning to 48.

With alchemy and provisioning maxxed your looking at about level 40. From there you might as well get them to vetran 1 so you can delvier the writs to belkarth.

This is well worth doing because the alchemy and provsioning writs are really easy to do and quite profitable.

If your going to reset the points removing all combat skill points about 20-24 will get you a maxxed profession and 3/3 hireling.
    Renton Sc Breton Sorcerer VR14
    Renton Tp Argonian Templar VR14
    Renton Dk Imperial DragonKnight VR14
    Renton Nb Khajiit Nightblade VR10 Vampire

www.alitheso.com Casual Social EU PvX Guild

Ebonheart Pact EU PVP Decimation Elite Azura's Star
    The Traveling Merchant
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/190077/the-traveling-merchant-eu-craglorn-trading-guild

So let me get this straight: You want to ride on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and beg with him for your freedom. And you're telling me that you're completely sane? - Rimmer - Red Dwarf V - Quarantine
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A lot.

Technically though, you don't have to invest in all the crafting stuff. You can do without the keen eye perks if you know what to look for, for example, or get most of your mats from your main.

The research perks aren't worth a whole lot once you've got all the traits done, but that will take a while.

But for the sake of completion, in order to fully invest in every crafting skill you would need about 132 points.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to you can get all the over-world skyshards in the 5 faction zones pretty much at level 2. One or two of them will be tricky/impossible without others around killing mobs nearby but many of them can be reached simply walking or sometimes with a bit of sneaking.

This equates to 2 or 3 per zone, you should be easily able to get at least 10 in my experience with a few hours skulking, which is likely faster than grinding/questing to get them .. of course, you also get exploration XP and if you equip some level 1 gear with EXPLORATION traits then you'll get more and thus a few levels each with a skill point as well.

I do a 'world tour' on most new characters these days to give them a pool of skill points to spend so they can unlock skills as they become available, but spending them on crafting is also something I've done .. my Provisioning and Alchemy characters are only level 7 or 8 with capped skill and passives (where appropriate, the Gourmand and Brewer for example aren't much use to a level 7 crafter).
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind is that if you never do anything but crafting, some sets will be unavailable for you. The crafting stations are in areas unlocked by completing figher's/mage's guild quests, and i suspect you won't be able to get to craglorn either unless the character is veteran rank.

Personally, i made my main to be the crafter. It takes around 100 skillpoints for the crafting skills, which leaves plenty for combat skills (around 200).
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind is that if you never do anything but crafting, some sets will be unavailable for you. The crafting stations are in areas unlocked by completing figher's/mage's guild quests, and i suspect you won't be able to get to craglorn either unless the character is veteran rank.

Personally, i made my main to be the crafter. It takes around 100 skillpoints for the crafting skills, which leaves plenty for combat skills (around 200).
    I guess the end-game sets are locked but all the 8-trait stations as far as I know are all in the faction zones, but then I only use a few sets.