The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Error 104 - DownloadError_NotEnoughSpace ... But I have 80GBs open?

Kilo_Herdinsta
Kilo_Herdinsta
Soul Shriven
Excited to get back into ESO. Just downloaded the launcher on my 2014 Macbook Pro with a 256GB SSD.

Cleared about a bunch of space and now have ~80GB open. Confirmed with the practices discussed here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/62707/2013-macbook-air-error-104-not-enough-disk-space

... as well as the usage of a tool like OmniDiskSweeper. I simply don't have any hidden virtualimages, or sleepimages, or TimeMachine backups hiding.

Is the answer that I simply need more space? Kind of crazy that I need half my hard drive open to install the 30GB game? Is there a bug or workaround I need to do?
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The minimum system requirements have recently been updated to show a minimum of 60 GB free disk space. So 80 GB free should be more than enough, and the discrepancy can't be explained away by that dreadful 1000-or-1024-bytes-to-a-kilobyte issue (it'd be 74.5 GB if base 2 was used).

Apart from emptying the trash for all local user accounts, you could use the Terminal and type
    df -h /

or
    df -H /

to see the OS's take on things. Or you could try using the new Launcher that @ZOS_MollyH posted about recently:
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Hello!

Thanks for letting me know that's still not working properly! We have had some similar reports, and at this time the best way to get ESO:TU installed fresh on a new Mac is to use the following link:

patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/BNA_Launcher/TESO_OSX.dmg

This will download the unpacked Launcher installation to circumvent the Java errors due to the scaling issues on newer Macs.

Please be sure to let us know if there are any problems with this workaround!

• Kilo_Herdinsta
    Kilo_Herdinsta
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the reply.

I was able to figure it out this morning. I had ~77GB open. I cleared out more space until I was around 90GB and then it finally worked.

So for any other Mac users searching for this error code, you need to keep clearing away enough space until it goes away, likely somewhere in the 80-90GB range.
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Even more bizarrely, my system shows 113 Gb available in the Finder and i'm getting the same error... trying new patcher linked above did not change anything.

running df -H as suggested above showed the following:
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2 445G 369G 75G 84% 90242289 18389027 83% /
    devfs 184k 184k 0B 100% 622 0 100% /dev
    localhost:/d5vaTI1GcQo0RYJYq3MAXK 445G 445G 0B 100% 0 0 100% /Volumes/MobileBackups
    map -hosts 0B 0B 0B 100% 0 0 100% /net
    map auto_home 0B 0B 0B 100% 0 0 100% /home
    /dev/disk0s4 54G 37G 17G 69% 18446744073692975715 16575901 100% /Volumes/Bootcamp

if i'm reading this correctly, it suggests that actually i have 75Gb free, even though the Finder shows me 113 Gb free.
    Suggestions?
    Edited by Seedier on March 18, 2015 2:55PM
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hi @Seedier ! Finder sometimes shows disk space without including local snapshots and backups, which will give you an erroneously high free space number even though that space isn't necessarily usable until you get rid of the snapshots and backups.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys... i researched it in the mean time as well and found a pretty good explanation here.
    Also will probably start using ARQ instead of Time Machine for backups...
    Edited by Seedier on March 18, 2015 4:59PM
  • TejrnarG
    TejrnarG
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Hi @Seedier ! Finder sometimes shows disk space without including local snapshots and backups, which will give you an erroneously high free space number even though that space isn't necessarily usable until you get rid of the snapshots and backups.

Hi, I am having the same issue. How can I get rid of the local snapshots and backups though?
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Hi @TejrnarG, assuming you don't mind losing the data that's been queued for backup (and i didn't tbh, all my important stuff is backed up to the cloud anyway), i just followed the instructions in the link i put above.

In short:
    Open up the Terminal App and type

sudo tmutil disablelocal
    (enter your system password when prompted, although you won't see anything being typed).

It will take a while for the system to delete the folder. It is renamed instantly to “.MobileBackups.trash” and consequently deleted. You will notice a slower Mac and the fans could start up. But after a few minutes everything should be back to normal.

I increased my true available storage from 74G to 133Gb (the available space Finder kept insisting i have), thereby allowing me to install. My Time Machine drive had developed an error and became read-only so my mac had just been storing up snapshots. I've since decided to use ARQ instead to do the same type of backup to the cloud - slower but I'm fed up of external drives dying.
    Edited by Seedier on March 19, 2015 10:17AM