Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newb needs a bit of help

GipsyLass
GipsyLass
Greetings all,
I played TESO during Beta and then quit because I wasn't quite satisfied with it's performance during the last days of Beta and because there were quite a few bugs.
Now I've decided to return and give it a second try.

I finished the tutorial and I'm a bit confused - during beta I could choose a weapon after finishing the tutorial. Now I got a two-handed-sword during the tutorial but there was no choice of a new weapon. I chose to be a mage so a sword doesn't seem to be the right weapon :).

Are there any threads (except the one that's sticky on top, I already checked that) that you would recommend, any websites or add-ons?

Thanks for your answers :).
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tutorial was very recently changed (1.6) which is why you no longer get to pick your weapon. Just head out on your first quest and I am sure you will loot a weapon of your liking ;)

Deltiasgaming.com
    Tamrielfoundry.com
    Tamrieljournal.com

As I mentioned, this was a very recent change so the fan sites might not be 100% current. There were a lot of changes in 1.6 to cover. Maybe try finding yourself a guild and I'm sure you will find plenty of people to help you out and answer any questions you have.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    The tutorial was very recently changed (1.6) which is why you no longer get to pick your weapon. Just head out on your first quest and I am sure you will loot a weapon of your liking ;).

How has it changed? I'm not willing to delete any of my characters just to try a new build, so I'll never see the difference now.

My memory of the "tutorial" (which I've completed 16 times) is that you wake, get talked at by the dipstick and then head out to free yourself from the coldharbour prison. Your first stop along the way allowed you a choice of icestaff, sword, shield and 2H Mace. Once in the central area you could run around gathering some pieces of armour and looting some chests with the possibility of getting weapons/armour that fitted your character concept. Then you freed the dipstick and entered Tamriel. I take it you are saying they've removed all the options from that first stop?
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tutorial was very recently changed (1.6) which is why you no longer get to pick your weapon. Just head out on your first quest and I am sure you will loot a weapon of your liking ;).

How has it changed? I'm not willing to delete any of my characters just to try a new build, so I'll never see the difference now.

My memory of the "tutorial" (which I've completed 16 times) is that you wake, get talked at by the dipstick and then head out to free yourself from the coldharbour prison. Your first stop along the way allowed you a choice of icestaff, sword, shield and 2H Mace. Once in the central area you could run around gathering some pieces of armour and looting some chests with the possibility of getting weapons/armour that fitted your character concept. Then you freed the dipstick and entered Tamriel. I take it you are saying they've removed all the options from that first stop?
    The basic idea of the tutorial is the same, there's an amount of cut/paste of the dialog/voice-overs and there's a slightly more involved battle section where you learn about block/interrupt.

The mobs in the next section are slightly different, largely the flame atronarchs have gone but the same quest objectives are there (you get to use stealth to blind the big eye), the sequence with Lyris and the Prophet is re-worked graphically and there are one or two minor changes after that.

Vast numbers of crates/chests have been removed, you're now lucky to exit the place with 10 lockpicks, pre-1.6 I used to see if I could actually get 50 before leaving!

Once in the 'main' areas (Tower of Eyes and beyond) you'll get random gear drops from mobs and chests as before, I've seen all weapon types in the four runs I've done through it (don't ask!) so to that extent the inability to choose a weapon isn't huge, but IMO it's a nerf that serves no purpose.

Oh yes, the voice acting for Molag Bal is totally different and totally crap (IMO) in comparison with the previous version.

Sadly we didn't get the beta-period intro, which was better in several ways IMO, there are some improvements in the tutorial bits (and you get to pick ONE lock if you want to), but generally I feel it's a step backwards.
    Edited by Kragorn on March 16, 2015 2:10PM
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go the PTS and making a new character. Then you can see the new tutorial :)@Woolenthreads
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • GipsyLass
    GipsyLass
    Thanks for the links MissBizz, I'll go check them out.

Joining a guild is also a good idea, just contemplating whether to join an "international" English speaking guild or a German one, I'll take a look at the guild descriptions and decide later :).
    Most games though, guilds don't take "fresh" newbs, you have to reach a certain level first, but maybe it's different here.

One more thing about guilds: I checked the guild forums (both English and German) and realized that there are guilds that you can only join if you are in a specific alliance and others that are "cross-alliance". What's the difference?
    Can one be in two guilds at the same time? I saw in one forum that a person stated he (or she) was in Guild A in Aldmeri Dominion and Guild B in all factions... ?

Edited by GipsyLass on March 16, 2015 9:36PM
  • matthias_1020b14_ESO
    matthias_1020b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have a big question to ask, and don't know where else I can put it.

I played in the beta testing, and loved the game. Wasn't able to afford the sub and had to stop. Now with it going to the F2P model, will I be able to play again without buying the game since I have the beta still installed or will I be forced to pay the $60 to get the game and have to re-install it?
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »

The basic idea of the tutorial is the same, there's an amount of cut/paste of the dialog/voice-overs and there's a slightly more involved battle section where you learn about block/interrupt.

The mobs in the next section are slightly different, largely the flame atronarchs have gone but the same quest objectives are there (you get to use stealth to blind the big eye), the sequence with Lyris and the Prophet is re-worked graphically and there are one or two minor changes after that.

Vast numbers of crates/chests have been removed, you're now lucky to exit the place with 10 lockpicks, pre-1.6 I used to see if I could actually get 50 before leaving!

Once in the 'main' areas (Tower of Eyes and beyond) you'll get random gear drops from mobs and chests as before, I've seen all weapon types in the four runs I've done through it (don't ask!) so to that extent the inability to choose a weapon isn't huge, but IMO it's a nerf that serves no purpose.

Oh yes, the voice acting for Molag Bal is totally different and totally crap (IMO) in comparison with the previous version.

Sadly we didn't get the beta-period intro, which was better in several ways IMO, there are some improvements in the tutorial bits (and you get to pick ONE lock if you want to), but generally I feel it's a step backwards.

Thanks Kragorn.

Go the PTS and making a new character. Then you can see the new tutorial :)

I don't think I want to download 42GB of game a third time (not including updates). I thought about PTS but tbh I have better uses for my d/l limit and computer wear and tear.

(and I still miss the LOL button in the forums)
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GipsyLass wrote: »
    Thanks for the links MissBizz, I'll go check them out.

Joining a guild is also a good idea, just contemplating whether to join an "international" English speaking guild or a German one, I'll take a look at the guild descriptions and decide later :).
    Most games though, guilds don't take "fresh" newbs, you have to reach a certain level first, but maybe it's different here.

One more thing about guilds: I checked the guild forums (both English and German) and realized that there are guilds that you can only join if you are in a specific alliance and others that are "cross-alliance". What's the difference?
    Can one be in two guilds at the same time? I saw in one forum that a person stated he (or she) was in Guild A in Aldmeri Dominion and Guild B in all factions... ?

Joining a cross faction guild just means they welcome everyone, and usually have events etc. in all 3 alliances. Depends on the guild. Many guilds *insert plug for Lone Wolf Help here* do take in fresh players. Some guilds (mostly PvP I think) may not allow you to join if you have characters in more than one alliance. You can join up to 5 guilds, and guild are account-wide, not per character.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I played in the beta testing, and loved the game. Wasn't able to afford the sub and had to stop. Now with it going to the F2P model, will I be able to play again without buying the game since I have the beta still installed or will I be forced to pay the $60 to get the game and have to re-install it?

The game has gone buy to play, not free to play.

This means you must purchase the game, and then can continue with no subscription if you so choose. To be in Beta you didn't buy the game, so yes, you'll have to pay.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From this post I'm not 100% clear on whether you only played the beta, or whether you played at/after release but stopped subscribing. If you only played beta and never bought the game to play at/after release (which I think is what you probably mean), then @MissBizz is right. If you did buy the game after beta, but cancelled your subscription (or never played any longer than the 30 days free that came with the game), then you won't have to buy the game again (although you will have to download a pretty massive patch).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)