Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weapon enchantment effects?

mndfreeze
mndfreeze
✭✭✭
I recently heard from a few different sources that some weapon enchants have further effects beyond just adding X damage to your attack. For example Fire enchant might add X every hit or every time it procs I guess, but also has a small chance of catching the target on fire like a DOT. I can't find any info regarding anything like this at all. Can anyone confirm?
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    There are weapon enchants that do things like do magicka damage and restore magicka on proc. Is that what you mean?

Full details of available enchants can be found here

Just scroll down to the 'Weapons' section.

Otherwise there are also affects that elemental damage weapons can proc:
    The details can be found in this thread: Elemental Damage Types

Just need to read some of the later comments to get all the details.
    Edited by Tadhg_Longhouse on May 7, 2014 10:32PM
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • pokebreaker
    pokebreaker
    ✭✭✭
    I know in the Dual-Wield Skill line, you can spec into Dual Blade and Blunt, that depending on the particular weapon, it will do added effects. For instance, an Axed will have a chance to inflict a bleed effect on the target, Mace deals bonus damage to heavily armored targets, Sword does additional damage, and Dagger increases Critical Strike. These are additions to whatever the enchant already does. The Bleed effect from the Axes can be quite nice.

There is also a thing that if your weapon enchant happens to proc on the killing blow, it will show a special effect happen to the target (Fire sets the target ablaze, Ice freezes them, Poison turned them green and bubbly), and they will poof into a pile of white granules, green bubbling goop, or other things I can't remember.
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    This was the part I was looking for:

Axer ✭✭✭
    April 7 edited April 7
    All elemental weapons do indeed have a hidden special on-crit effect. (Well not super hidden, the two handed line has a passive that says it increases there chance of applying, but its otherwise not explained anywhere).

Pretty hard to tell what they do without a combat log.. But lucky theres an addon I got that lets me see em (google combat log statistics)

Fire:
    Ignires the enemy and does a bit more fire dmg then normal (~20% more), then lights the enemy on fire, and applies a DoT, iirc, 3 ticks of 100% of the regular fire damage. Seems to be a 100% proc on crit (or close), with that 2handed passive. CLS put this at 2-4% of my dmg output when I had a nice crit rating, so pretty decent.

Shock:
    Disintegrates the target - deals about 800 damage. (On a lvl30 weapon) Ultra rare effect though, only saw it 5 times in the course of a day of heavy battle. I'd guess about a 1-3% proc, and only on crits (so overall is sub 1%). CLS showed it as a sub 1% of my total damage output, so yea not that impressive.

Cold:
    Dunno, never saw anything special. Does turn enemies into ice statues if you crit kill them, but no special damage increase or slow effect i've noticed. If it does slow, its such a minor amount that i've never noticed. Or only affects movement speed, and not attack animations (so only useful for ranged weaponry really).

Poison:
    Not tested heavily enough, only had 1 poison wep, and replaced it too fast.

Disease:
    Never found a disease two hander. Can add on with a enchant i guess maybe.

So yea overall, seems like fire kinda rules right now. Disintegration is fun and all, but too rare to be effective.
    I was hoping someone had some more hard facts on it other then just more people sort of guessing based on combat logs though. Like a decsription or tooltip or link to a wiki or guide or anything more then vague forum posts. :disappointed_relieved:
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an sorcerer with staff I notice that some of the weapon effects abilities on effect, fire give kickback and frost give CC.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unresistable damage FTW
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    I was hoping someone had some more hard facts on it other then just more people sort of guessing based on combat logs though. Like a decsription or tooltip or link to a wiki or guide or anything more then vague forum posts. :disappointed_relieved:

Well until someone makes the effort to update the Wikis/Create guides forum posts are the best you have: unless you want to make an effort and research it yourself.

Here's a bit more information from vague forum posts though:

Fire does Burned (DoT)
    Frost does Chilled (snared by 40%)
    Shock does Concussion (Damage reduced by 10%)
    Poison does Poisoned (DoT)
    Disease does Diseased (Healing Debuff)

Some of this was in the forum post I linked, but you seemed to stop at the vague guy you quoted instead of reading on.

There also seems to be talk about 'super-procs' which I assume effect low health targets. They seem to make targets explode and such. Couldn't find anything solid there though.

Edited by Tadhg_Longhouse on May 9, 2014 2:11PM
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't stop, I read on, and a lot of what I was reading was just guesswork which was why I was asking if there was, in any way, a source people got this info from.
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much every source at the moment is from people going out and testing things and collaborating on their findings. Guesswork is and testing is how we work these things out.
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    I know in the Dual-Wield Skill line, you can spec into Dual Blade and Blunt, that depending on the particular weapon, it will do added effects. For instance, an Axed will have a chance to inflict a bleed effect on the target, Mace deals bonus damage to heavily armored targets, Sword does additional damage, and Dagger increases Critical Strike. ...
    Just wanted to comment on this in particular. I took a point in this yesterday, and wielding one or more daggers does not increase critical hit chance, nor the damage from critical hits.
    Either the tooltip is wrong in the wording, and it's related to some other "thing" (The phrase Critical Strike is rarely used, game-wide) or the skill is plain bugged and not working.

I /bug'd it in game, but I suspect it'll never be fixed, so don't waste a point there, for the moment, if you're a dagger fiend.
    Edited by vyal on May 9, 2014 2:28PM
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    Either the tooltip is wrong in the wording, and it's related to some other "thing" (The phrase Critical Strike is rarely used, game-wide) or the skill is plain bugged and not working.

I /bug'd it in game, but I suspect it'll never be fixed, so don't waste a point there, for the moment, if you're a dagger fiend.

I have heard this bug is getting fixed in the 1.1 update but I don't have any evidence to back that up. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on skills. Sorc skill line adds to your damage with any fire cold or shock damage. Fire adds a burning effect for DoT, Cold snares for a %, and shock deals splash damage.
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a sorc, what skill specifically does that?
  • Persephonius
    Persephonius
    ✭✭✭
    mndfreeze wrote: »

Well until someone makes the effort to update the Wikis/Create guides forum posts are the best you have: unless you want to make an effort and research it yourself.

Here's a bit more information from vague forum posts though:

Fire does Burned (DoT)
    Frost does Chilled (snared by 40%)
    Shock does Concussion (Damage reduced by 10%)
    Poison does Poisoned (DoT)
    Disease does Diseased (Healing Debuff)

Some of this was in the forum post I linked, but you seemed to stop at the vague guy you quoted instead of reading on.

There also seems to be talk about 'super-procs' which I assume effect low health targets. They seem to make targets explode and such. Couldn't find anything solid there though.

About the fire proc that leaves a burning DOT, when using a flame staff, I believe that on it's own it has a chance to apply a burning DOT. If you enchanted a flame staff with a fire damage enchantment, will the DOTs from the enchantment and flame staff proc in-dependant of eachother, overlap and stack? Or will Burning Dot only apply once from either the weapon itself or the enchantment, which reduces the effectiveness of a fire enchantment on a fire staff. So if this is the case, a poison enchantment on a flame staff may be better if for instance the 2 DOTs are distinguished and do not interfere with eachother and hence stack?
  • exiledtyrant
    exiledtyrant
    ✭✭✭
    Does absorb magicka have a special proc or critical effect?
    If all are brethren
    How could my hands not tremble
    As breath fled my prey?

What blinds my vision?
    My hands are tools; it must be
    The haze of blossoms

-Salous the Penitent