The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to ESO and PVP. Not sure if i should use Bow.

untranslated
untranslated
✭✭
Hi,
Im new to ESO and a bit out of my depth with what is good / bad in PVP. Half the people say bow has been nerfed into oblivion and the other say snipe is OP. Currently my 1.5 build (level25 atm) is dual wield and testing out resto staff on my 2nd bar.
My goal is to DPS in PVP, and Heal in PVE to make finding groups easier. Is a Bow/Healer in medium armor a viable build ? Ive struggled alot in PVP with my current dual wield build feels like it really struggles alot because i jump in and get nuked ( or that swarm thing that just damages me in the fight ), or i just stare mindlessly at a seige waiting to get hit by sorcs and bows.

My question is basically is bows now terrible in PVP or better than before ? Assuming i like bow style as much as dual wield is bow better for PVP. If yes which build and armor setup should i use. And is healing in medium armor possible now with 1.6 ? It seems like healing got better for NB's as far as PVE goes and Bow NB's got worse for PVE ( which i dont really care about anyway ).
THanks
  • untranslated
    untranslated
    ✭✭
    Also im a Khajit if that matters. I believe the crit increase is relevant when it comes to DW vs Bow. Though im not sure
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People always exaggerate on the forums. Everytime someone dies to something, it is OP. Everytime someone defends his own ability, it has been nerfed to oblivion.

Go out there and give it a try. My guess is you will be obliterated by veteran players and massacre the newbies regardless of what weapon you will use ;)
  • untranslated
    untranslated
    ✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    People always exaggerate on the forums. Everytime someone dies to something, it is OP. Everytime someone defends his own ability, it has been nerfed to oblivion.

Go out there and give it a try. My guess is you will be obliterated by veteran players and massacre the newbies regardless of what weapon you will use ;)

So in your opinion as a Khajit NB, going DW vs Bow assuming you have 1 dps bar comes down purely to play style and neither is truely optimal ? My main issue is blinking into a fight and ... dying or standing outside a fight watching all the dudes do damage while im forced to heal in PVP just because i have no other use? If so, which bow build would be optimal and can you heal in full medium armour, i heard alot of complaints about "Nightblade Bow healers", or is that just because people are NB and didnt use resto staff when healing ( i know this isnt a PVP topic so no need to elaborate, just nightblade medium armour with resto staff , can it be effective in 95% of vet dungeons ? Yes/No )

• Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the Khajiit crit bonus only to melee attacks?
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every approach has a weak point. With bow(snipe), you are susceptible to reflects. With DW(rapid strikes), you are susceptible to razor armor. Etc. etc.

However keep in mind that anything anyone tells you right now is most likely outdated info. 1.6 just went live. Only time and experience will tell what is optimal in the new game and what is not.
  • untranslated
    untranslated
    ✭✭
    Dekkameron wrote: »
    Isn't the Khajiit crit bonus only to melee attacks?

I believe a bow counts as physical damage, which is what the bonus applies to. But DW uses 2 weapons so more opportunities to crit than 1 weapon.
  • Wahee
    Wahee
    ✭✭✭
    1. You take no armor damage in PVP
    2. A very decent stamina healer with bow or dual wield is possible, but only with the new Vigor skill which requires a very large amount of AP gained. If you're new to PvP you are looking at many months to unlock it.
    3. Run both. Run a melee bar with 2H or DW and use bow as your swap.
    4. The Khajiit passive says melee critical but it actually means physical crit. It benefits bow too.

Generally speaking you'll probably want to stick with bow until you get a bit of experience under your belt. Going melee in larger group fights is a death sentence without having a proper build and/or fast reaction times.

If I were you I'd make a nice melee/bow setup and go have fun. Stick with your bow for the larger fights staying at a safe distance and go melee only when you need to in smaller skirmishes (reflecting opponents mainly).

Have fun, and don't stand in the bats! ;)
    Edited by Wahee on March 4, 2015 9:11AM
    Mostly Harmless: PvP leader and officer
    mostly-harmless-guild.com
  • untranslated
    untranslated
    ✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Every approach has a weak point. With bow(snipe), you are susceptible to reflects. With DW(rapid strikes), you are susceptible to razor armor. Etc. etc.

However keep in mind that anything anyone tells you right now is most likely outdated info. 1.6 just went live. Only time and experience will tell what is optimal in the new game and what is not.

Yeah that is one thing ive noticed about ESo, there is actually pretty low amounts of data unlike a game like wow. Deltia has some great info but he cant answer every possible question. As for going out and trying everything, i have very limited play time :( otherwise i would. Dont wanna spec into DW and end up having to respec and go bow haha. So what currently would be the correct build for stam bow ? Half split between Health / Stam , 5 medium armour 1light 1 heavy ? Poison Arrow + Snipe + what else in the DPS bar ?
  • untranslated
    untranslated
    ✭✭
    Wahee wrote: »
    1. You take no armor damage in PVP
    2. A very decent stamina healer with bow or dual wield is possible, but only with the new Vigor skill which requires a very large amount of AP gained. If you're new to PvP you are looking at many months to unlock it.
    3. Run both. Run a melee bar with 2H or DW and use bow as your swap.
    4. The Khajiit passive says melee critical but it actually means physical crit. It benefits bow too.

Generally speaking you'll probably want to stick with bow until you get a bit of experience under your belt. Going melee in larger group fights is a death sentence without having a proper build and/or fast reaction times.

If I were you I'd make a nice melee/bow setup and go have fun. Stick with your bow for the larger fights staying at a safe distance and go melee only when you need to in smaller skirmishes (reflecting opponents mainly).

Have fun, and don't stand in the bats! ;)

Thanks, yeah the big fights are a nightmare because i play from south africa and the ping is terrible so no amount of reaction time will solve 300-800 ping >_<. I dont really wanna have a swop bar if i dont need it because 90% of the time the bar doesnt switch. LIke i have to stand still for a full second to switch the bar over which is way too slow. I guess ill be going bow/resto staff then. Just wanted to make sure i didnt build a piece of junk :D thanks all