The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best Way to Recover From Update Destroying Addons?

Rook_Master
Rook_Master
✭✭✭✭✭
It's been my personal experience that every large patch has completely obliterated my addons, and I see no reason to believe that won't happen with 1.6.

My question is, what is the best method for recovering broken addons? Do you trust Minion to update them correctly? Sometimes the update function on Minion hasn't restored broken addons for me, even though the addon was updated to the new version.

In the past, I just completely gave up, uninstalled all of them, waited a week, and then reinstalled, using Joviex's settings transfer to redo the settings across all my characters. If you're using Minion, note that you must actually delete the addon folder, wherever the path goes in Minion.

Does anyone know a better way to go about recovering from addons being broken by large updates? Please let me know.

Thanks,
  • Orihara_Izaya
    Orihara_Izaya
    ✭✭✭
    I use minion to install and update my addons, it's painless and I've never had a problem.
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use minion to install and update my addons, it's painless and I've never had a problem.

Really? Because I have had problems with addons in the past that could not be fixed by updating them through Minion. Only a full reinstall of the addon would fix the issue.
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save your "saved variables" folder.
    And Btw, most important add-ons already work perfectly on pts.
    Edited by Vanzen on February 27, 2015 7:13PM
  • Stickbow
    Stickbow
    ✭✭✭
    Vanzen wrote: »

I don't use a huge number of add-ons, but mine work fine on PTS with one exception, and it's one that got abandoned by its author 6-8 months ago. I did get updated versions of several, but a couple are still the 1.5 version.

Your mileage may vary depending on the add-ons you use.
  • Garkin
    Garkin
    ✭✭✭
    The best way is using updated addons and if something doesn't work, contact addon author. I have updated version for most of my addons ready and I'm waiting for Update 6 to hit live servers. You can find some of them in my Dropbox, folder Update 6 (link in my signature).
    Garkin / EU / CSF guild
    My addons: SkyShards, LoreBooks, Dustman, Map Coordinates, No, thank you, ... (full list)
    I'm taking care of: Azurah - Interface Enhanced, Srendarr - Aura, Buff & Debuff Tracker and more
    My folder with updated/modified addons: DROPBOX
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well if you want to slowly restart after a major patch, first always archive your saved variables folder as well as usersettings.txt and addonsettings.txt.

If you can live without addons that haven't been updated prior to the patch, simply Do Not Allow Outdated addons before you load any characters.

If you want to leave all the addons on and not have to worry about popup errors forcing you to quit the game, use the Bugeater addon and follow the instructions to have all errors saved to file instead of displayed on screen or in chat. This simple addon will usually keep any really bad errors from either locking the game or booting you for spamming chat errors.

You can then check that file and see if there are any addons you can live without for a few days and turn them off.

I have several older addons there are never going to be updated, but their code is so basic that new API changes have never totally destroyed their operation.

After you confirm that the oldest addons (that will never be updated) are still viable, you can simply change the addon.txt file for them to just update the API number and continue playing as before.

If we are lucky as well, the addon Compatibility Patch for 1.5 will be updated to catch any API changes that dead authors will never fix for us.

And finally we have the great authors like @Garkin who not only work so hard to update their own releases but give their time to update dead addons as well.

• starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I found that after a patch, run the game without add-ons first, letting one of your characters load. then restart the game with add-ons. Except for the really out of date ones, most add-ons will work.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best Way to Recover From Update Destroying Addons?

Write your own.

:D
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

That and make sure you click the Allow out of date add-ons box in your Add-ons menu in game.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stickbow wrote: »

I don't use a huge number of add-ons, but mine work fine on PTS with one exception, and it's one that got abandoned by its author 6-8 months ago. I did get updated versions of several, but a couple are still the 1.5 version.

PSBT? if so hopefully garkin will update his "CompatibilityTool" than it should work again.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Garkin
    Garkin
    ✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    Stickbow wrote: »

PSBT? if so hopefully garkin will update his "CompatibilityTool" than it should work again.

Pawkette has updated PSBT for update 5 and I believe she will update it even for upcoming update 6:
    https://github.com/Pawkette/PSBT
    Garkin / EU / CSF guild
    My addons: SkyShards, LoreBooks, Dustman, Map Coordinates, No, thank you, ... (full list)
    I'm taking care of: Azurah - Interface Enhanced, Srendarr - Aura, Buff & Debuff Tracker and more
    My folder with updated/modified addons: DROPBOX
  • TheLaw
    TheLaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    I copied all my addons over (around 20) and not one of them did not work on PTS.
    -= Shahrzad the Great |Sorc| =-