Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game crashing every time I take a screenshot

Shadowdream
Shadowdream
✭✭✭
Has anyone else had this problem?

Every time I take a screenshot, it crashes to desktop. No asking me to send a crash report, nothing. Just BAM, desktop.

I have tried rebinding my key. No luck. I tried deleting my screenshot folder, and that works for a time, but it will happen again. I'm not certain how long it takes to happen again, since it was a long time between screenshots and I thought the issue was fixed.

Thanks for any help!
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't take screen shots.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Every time I take a screenshot, it crashes to desktop. No asking me to send a crash report, nothing. Just BAM, desktop.

I have tried rebinding my key. No luck. I tried deleting my screenshot folder, and that works for a time, but it will happen again. I'm not certain how long it takes to happen again, since it was a long time between screenshots and I thought the issue was fixed.

Thanks for any help!

I use Steam for my screenies, if however, like me, you purchased game in Early Access, you can, if you use Steam, Add Non-Steam Game To Library, select the .exe, and Steam will launch for you.
    You still have Steam Overlay and can take screenies, or alternatively, hit printscrn and paste in Paint.

Might be worth also, repairing game install, just in case your game is corrupt.

I hope this is better suggestions than the quite frankly unhelpful statement from kelly.medleyb14_ESO. hehe
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @shadowdreamb14_ESO,

Do you happen to use any add ons? If so, please give a shot to disabling them and let us know if you can take screenshots without crashing!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Shadowdream
    Shadowdream
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather not link it in steam if I can help it, but thank you for the suggestion! I appreciate it! :)

I'm not running any add ons at all, so there is nothing to disable. I just tried taking a screenshot after loading it tonight, and it crashed. It worked last night even after having to close out and restart because of loading issues. So it either happens after a reboot of the system, or perhaps when the date rolls over? Weird. I'll experiment to see which when I have the time. For now I am going to play.
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What operating system are you running? And what's your operating system's locale (where are you from if you don't know how to determine this?)?

Are the screenshots actually saved on your hard disk or can't you find them either?
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What happens if you change the screenshot format? To do this, close the game and head to My Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\Live and open the Usersettings.txt file. ~10 lines down, there's an option that says this:

SET ScreenshotFormat.2 "PNG"

change it to

SET ScreenshotFormat.2 "JPG"

and let us know if it helps!
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Shadowdream
    Shadowdream
    ✭✭✭
    Changing it to jpg seems to have fixed it. Rock on. :) This pleases me, since it takes up less space anyway. Thank you!

Thanks for the help everyone, and thanks very much for the fix, Gary!

(Smaxx, in case you are still curious for whatever reason Windows 7 home premium, 64 bit version. And the screenshots were corrupted when it crashed while taking it.)
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expected some issue with your file system permissions, but if JPEG screenshots work, then that's definitely not the case.
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear it helped!
    Staff Post