The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

MMORPG article with Matt Firor leaves this subscriber feeling pointless and not worth anything

alainjbrennanb16_ESO
alainjbrennanb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a discussion that mmorpg had with Matt Firor and to me it says in an about way if i stay sub iam worthless. This is my problem say i stay subbed for a year and there is 2 dlc's say maybe costing 20-30 pounds each which it wont, i have paid £108 for the year and in the usa that will be 180 dollars and if our sub fails for any reason we lose the dlc's even though we have paid that amount of money. The f2p will only pay 40-60 pounds so please explain to why you think i am WORTHLESS.

Next month, Elder Scrolls Online officially adopts a hybrid revenue system that will include the moniker "Tamriel Unlimited". We caught up to the ESO team (Game Director Matt Firor in particular) to ask a few questions about the upcoming changes and what it means for players. Some questions come from the community itself and us here at MMORPG.com We even have some great info about the upcoming console editions. Take a look!

MMORPG.com: What inspired the name Tamriel Unlimited? How long did it take to settle on this name?
A: We wanted a name that gives the impression of freedom – freedom to play how you want, and freedom to pay for the game the way you want.

MMORPG.com: How will console players become Tamriel Unlimited members? Will they be able to access that via the console or will they need to go to the account setup via a computer?
A: They will be able to become members through the PSN and XBL ESO stores.

MMORPG.com: How often can we see items being added or removed to/from the item shop?
A: We don’t have a firm fixed cadence yet, but expect to see rotation of inventory at least monthly, if not more often. We’ll have some limited time offers once in a while, etc.

MMORPG.com: Will the in-game store items be available to purchase via the ESO Digital Store website for real money? If so, will we be given a code to redeem that we can either use on our account or to give to a friend as a gift?
A: You will purchase Crown packs directly on the ESO digital store (or XBL/PSN) and then you spend the Crowns in game in the Crown Store.

MMORPG.com: There has been speculation that this cross over to the ESO Plus model is due to the console release in June. With console users not accustomed to paying a subscription fee and not able to lock down any agreements with Microsoft and Sony the best course of action was to move to this new model. Does this speculation hold any weight?
A: There are actually some successful console subscription games. This decision came about more from the perspective of listening to what our community members had to say and analyzing their playing habits. We came to the conclusion that people wanted to play the game, and make their financial decisions, based on their playing style, not on a firm fixed monthly cycle.

MMORPG.com: If you’re a subscriber now, but let your sub lapse while playing in a DLC. What will happen if I log out while in the DLC content? Will my character be relocated, locked out until I resubscribe or will I be able to continue playing that content?
A: These kinds of edge cases are definite challenges for game designers! In this case, you would be logged into the game in a known safe location, probably the Wayshrine in the capital city of your Alliance. You wouldn’t be locked out.

MMORPG.com: The 10% bonus to XP does that also include a 10% bonus to earning faster champion points?
A: As Champion Points are gained by earning experience points, the answer is yes – it applies to both.

MMORPG.com: Being a subscriber, players will receive anywhere from 1500, 4500, or 9000 crowns depending on which subscription option they choose but how much is that really. Obviously it depends on the item purchase but what would be the average or ball parked crown price for a costume, mount, and potions.
A: You can see the ballpark prices on PTS right now. We may adjust them a bit here and there over time, but you can get the general idea. Mounts are from 900-1300 (or more for a really special one), pets are 400-700, etc.

MMORPG.com: While being an ESO Plus member, we’ll have access to all the DLC content that is released for free. Does this include any future expansions should ESO ever have them?
A: When you are a Plus member, you get access to all the DLC that is available when you are a member. So over time you’ll get access to more and more areas by being a member.
MMORPG.com: Is there a current timeline for DLC releases? Similar with your patches you try for a 4-6 week release, will players be seeing more DLC style updates to make the ESO Plus membership more valuable or is this something that we’ll see every few months?
A: We’re concentrating on 1.6 the Tamriel Unlimited PC conversion, and console launch right now. We’ll release DLC details a bit later this spring.

MMORPG.com: During the ESO Tamriel Unlimited discussion, you mentioned that the DLC content (Orsinium/Wrothgar etc.) will be ready for players no matter the level. Once you purchase it, you’ll be able to go in and explore it with your friends. Does the DLC content scale the player to level 50 or does the content scale to the player’s level? If so, how does that work if my friends are of different levels?
A: It will work very similarly to the way lower-level players are “battle leveled” in Cyrodiil – your character will be boosted up while you are in the zone, so you’ll be able to play it with friends of all levels, in much the same way you do that now in Cyrodiil.
Edited by alainjbrennanb16_ESO on February 23, 2015 11:31AM
Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, please change the title of your post before the Mods do it for you. Something like, "Latest MMORPG article with Matt Firor leaves this subscriber feeling unappreciated" might be better. For one, it'll attract more people to look at your post. For another, it still states your opinion without being "inflammatory" which may get you a negative Mod reaction on our new and improved, much more tightly moderated, forums.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure subscribers are worthless "now" - or better to say: they are worthless, when there are not enough of them.

Believe me, if ESO had had enough subscribers, Matt Firor would say something different. But it didn't have enough subscribers to sustain the model, that's it. The ones to blame are Zenimax with Matt Firor and not the subscribers at all.

When you release a mediocre product, you receive at best lukewarm reception - on both sides, commerical and critical.

Now they have to change their position so that they don't look like complete idiots. Self protection, nothing more or less.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I notice the interviewer softballs most of their questions and does not follow up when Firor fails to answer them fully or answers them in a deflective way. I know journalism in this country is in a pretty laughable state these days but c'mon already.

MMORPG.com: While being an ESO Plus member, we’ll have access to all the DLC content that is released for free. Does this include any future expansions should ESO ever have them?
    A: When you are a Plus member, you get access to all the DLC that is available when you are a member. So over time you’ll get access to more and more areas by being a member.

Note the non-answer on Firor's part. This question specifically stated EXPANSIONS and NOT DLC. The interviewer stated flat out he knew we'd get access to DLC with our subscription and what does Firor tell him? That we'll get access to DLC with our subscription. IMO, that was a little rude on Firor's part. He could have very easily said, "We haven't had a chance to really look at whether or not we'll be doing Expansions separate from DLC yet so I can't really speculate on how an Expansion might be implemented or presented yet." But, no.

That's the one that really caught my attention.

Edited by MornaBaine on February 23, 2015 12:12PM

• Apokh
    Apokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At WOW you have to buy the Expansions also, so what is the point? Is there any source you´d like to link us where ZOS said that alls expansions will be free forever?
    I really don´t get the point of this discussion at all. What is ist? "Mimimi when I´d known ESO would be b2p I wouldn´t have subbed.." ? You got all the stuff, released in 2k14 "for free" within your sub.
    See, when you sub to a Gaming Mag lets say...would you really complain , after you quitted sub on January this year, that the MAG perhaps brings an article and a DEMO DVD about ..lets say "The Elder Scrolls 6" in October?
    Legenden
    Play@Feierabend mit der legendärsten Feierabendgilde.
    Besuch uns.
    Es ist besser zu schweigen und alle glauben zu lassen, man sei dumm, als den Mund aufzumachen und alle Zweifel zu beseitigen.
  • zward887_ESO
    zward887_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I still wonder why a subscriber would feel unappreciated.

If you're subscribing, why not just buy that DLC with your subscription crowns? Is there a difference?

If you plan to buy absolutely nothing but DLC, then the best course of action is to subscribe for the specific number months necessary to pay for each DLC.

So if a DLC is released and it costs 3000 crowns, then you subscribe or two months, get 3000 crowns, and buy the DLC. In the meantime, you've now got 2 months of subscriber perks for your purchase.

I see nothing here even remotely discussing how subscribers should feel pointless and unappreciated. A subscriber under this model is someone who signs up for monthly crowns and gets a few perks on the side for doing so. If you don't plan to spend 18000 crowns per year in the cash shop then you should not subscriber for the entire year.

Now, for the article on the whole. Terrible interview overall, I 100% agree with MornaBaine on this one. Soft questions and evasive answers, meh.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, nothing new. Also, why no information about it on official site?
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm REALLY curious to know the cost of DLC. Personally, right now at least, I feel paying a monthly sub should outright purchase you any DLC released during the period you are subbed. After all, we know very well we are not going to get DLC more than once a month, probably more like every 2 months...if we're lucky. If 30 bucks isn't enough to cover the cost of the DLC I'm a little concerned.

• Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apokh wrote: »
    At WOW you have to buy the Expansions also, so what is the point? Is there any source you´d like to link us where ZOS said that alls expansions will be free forever?
    I really don´t get the point of this discussion at all. What is ist? "Mimimi when I´d known ESO would be b2p I wouldn´t have subbed.." ? You got all the stuff, released in 2k14 "for free" within your sub.

All the stuff released in 2k14? Yeah, that has been so much stuff that it was worth paying +$100 for it. Excuse me, but all the stuff we should have gotten as subscribers the last 10 months was hold back or deliberately delayed so that they can sell it as DLCs and make double cash.
    Edited by Seraphyel on February 23, 2015 12:20PM
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are games where you MUST sub / use the shop to be able to play. GW2, SWTOR are the best examples. Not being a sub or shop customer there makes the game pointless and meaningless as you miss out on too many features such as pvp, trading or char slots.

ESO seems to be different, that's why the unlimited term comes into play.

You can access everything you can access now, still have all your chars, bank slots, dungeon browser, pvp & pve access, all crafting traits, motifs...

The only thing you gain is a 10% xp boost, a boost that plays no role for 99% of the people. Pets, mounts or costumes are irrelevant for many too, if you ride on a cat or horse, if its blue - red or green... what does it matter? It wont change how you pvp, or quest.

Based on this you indeed have to wonder what ZOS´s intention behind all of this is. How are they supposed to attract subscribers if the game is so "fair"? Other MMOs are unfair if you don't sub, like the two mentioned above - ESO isn't.

Its actually funny that the only thing that would make a sub worthwhile (the DLCs), will be stripped from your account as soon you stop paying. :o

I honestly don't see the reasoning behind their philosophy, for me its great as I can just unsub on the 17th, get a free mount (my first) and will never bother with subbing again, if a DLC is interesting I buy it - but a 100$ commitment for nothing but cosmetics seems worthless to me.

On the one hand I am happy ZO didn't go the p2w way like others, but how they want to make a living out of that shop & sub model is beyond me. Are people really ready to sub, so they can buy mounts in 4 different colors, pets that do nothing but run at your side and a xp boost?
  • Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »
    There are games where you MUST sub / use the shop to be able to play. GW2, SWTOR are the best examples. Not being a sub or shop customer there makes the game pointless and meaningless as you miss out on too many features such as pvp, trading or char slots...

You seem to be totally unaware of GW2-B2P-system.
  • Berinima
    Berinima
    ✭✭✭
    Joejudas wrote: »
    no one mentions anywhere above me that it is completely pointless to sub from march 17 until june as their isnt any content coming out.
    Well, while I dislike the fact that there is no new content because I am a little bored playing the game from time to time now in the first place, I am kinda okay with it from the financial point of view. You would be subbed until the content is released and I am pretty sure you will have enough crowns to buy the DLC right away unless you didn't go ballistic on all the kittehs in the store. In the meantime you get the subscription perks and depending on how much the DLC will cost probably still a decent amount of kittehs.

So that's fine for me. The only question that remains is how long can the CP grind, the daily Dungeons and PvP hold up without getting old?
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no one mentions anywhere above me that it is completely pointless to sub from march 17 until june as their isnt any content coming out.

Valid point. If they actually DO want to keep people subscribing during this "dry" period they need to announce a reason worth doing it, some sort of promotion. Any ideas on what might appeal to the most players? And that might realistically be implemented?

• TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

Valid point. If they actually DO want to keep people subscribing during this "dry" period they need to announce a reason worth doing it, some sort of promotion. Any ideas on what might appeal to the most players? And that might realistically be implemented?

Well the only reason to stay subscribed is to get the XP bonus, this will be even more true with the XP bonus potions since it means you'll have to pay to earn champion points faster and since champion points make you OP, well, you'll have to P2W :).
  • Raethek
    Raethek
    ✭✭
    You keep players by engaging them with meaning. So far the mundane has been the rote approach to everything. A sub may help you get threw all the crap faster but all the problems will still be there.
    Edited by Raethek on February 23, 2015 1:05PM
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it must just be me, but yes u can by the dlc's with crowns but as a sub i should not have to and my gut says it will cost 3 or 4 months crowns to get the dlc but again i should not have to pay for them, if i pay for the sub for say two years and for an unseen reason it lapses i have paid 216 pounds and are only left with the base game, is that right. plus if you think about it if i pay my sub then use crowns to buy the dlc's in a way i am paying twice for the same content is that right
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it must just be me, but yes u can by the dlc's with crowns but as a sub i should not have to and my gut says it will cost 3 or 4 months crowns to get the dlc but again i should not have to pay for them, if i pay for the sub for say two years and for an unseen reason it lapses i have paid 216 pounds and are only left with the base game, is that right. plus if you think about it if i pay my sub then use crowns to buy the dlc's in a way i am paying twice for the same content is that right

Oh and don't forget that the zones that will be released as a DLC where developed on your sub money, are almost ready to be rolled out, but you will still have to pay for them and wait for them since, you know, console players :)
    Edited by TehMagnus on February 23, 2015 1:12PM
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has some misinformation. Or at least, ignorance.

If you subscribe for a year, you don't get "nothing". You get 1500 x 12 = 18000 Crowns.

If 2 DLCs come out that year, they do not cost money. They cost Crowns. Non-subscribers will not have any Crowns, so they will have to buy Crowns for money, and THEN buy the DLCs with Crowns.

If if you decide to quit being a subscriber and you blow your 18000 "free" (subscriber-granted) Crowns on other stuff, then you have to buy more Crowns for the DLCs just like everyone else.

If if you decide to quit being a subscriber and you don't blow it all, then you can use them to buy the DLCs.
    Edited by onlinegamer1 on February 23, 2015 1:16PM
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you subscribe for a year, you don't get "nothing". You get 1500 x 12 = 18000 Crowns.

If 2 DLCs come out that year, they do not cost money. They cost Crowns. Non-subscribers will not have any Crowns, so they will have to buy Crowns for money, and THEN buy the DLCs with Crowns.

If if you decide to quit being a subscriber and you blow your 18000 "free" (subscriber-granted) Crowns on other stuff, then you have to buy more Crowns for the DLCs just like everyone else.

If if you decide to quit being a subscriber and you don't blow it all, then you can use them to buy the DLCs.

no need to be rude with the remark iam ignorant, there is no misinformation that was taken from an interview, we have a saying where i come from don't have the wool pulled over your eyes. just think about what iam saying forget the crowns etc you will pay 216 pounds in the uk for the two years and if a mistake by paypal etc is made paying ur sub you lose the dlc's. plus if like you say 2 dlc's come out per year i don't think they will cost any where near 216 pounds more like 60-100 pounds. yes you could say about the exp bounses etc so then i would be paying another 100 pounds plus for that why? all i am saying is, if iam subbed for that long i should have the dlc's and not pay for them or use crowns, if true it just shows zos doesn't care about sub players and doesn't want them to treat a loyal player who maybe in the furture has paid for subs for 2 to 3 years and could lose the dlc's at any point
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no need to be rude with the remark iam ignorant, there is no misinformation that was taken from an interview, we have a saying where i come from don't have the wool pulled over your eyes. just think about what iam saying forget the crowns etc you will pay 216 pounds in the uk for the two years and if a mistake by paypal etc is made paying ur sub you lose the dlc's. plus if like you say 2 dlc's come out per year i don't think they will cost any where near 216 pounds more like 60-100 pounds. yes you could say about the exp bounses etc so then i would be paying another 100 pounds plus for that why? all i am saying is, if iam subbed for that long i should have the dlc's and not pay for them or use crowns, if true it just shows zos doesn't care about sub players and doesn't want them to treat a loyal player who maybe in the furture has paid for subs for 2 to 3 years and could lose the dlc's at any point

What part of "You get 1500 crowns per month so that you can buy DLCs + other Crown store goodies + 10% XP bonus" are you not understanding?
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I miss the LOL button so much :(
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with what you say, but I know people will see it as not being worth being subbed for them personally yet feel subbing should still be better for everyone rather than just making their own decision on whether to subscribe or not for themselves appropriately.

Personally; I'd assume have some more XP and gold for now even if small, then I can save up my crowns so if I decide its not worth it, I will have crowns for any content I want down the line.
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I agree with what you say, but I know people will see it as not being worth being subbed for them personally yet feel subbing should still be better for everyone rather than just making their own decision on whether to subscribe or not for themselves appropriately.

Personally; I'd assume have some more XP and gold for now even if small, then I can save up my crowns so if I decide its not worth it, I will have crowns for any content I want down the line.

That's precisely the point. Either SUBSCRIBE (because to you, its worth it), or DON'T and spend $ on Crowns as you see fit.

It has nothing to do with subscribers being "worthy" or not. Its just two different PAYMENT MODELS.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's precisely the point. Either SUBSCRIBE (because to you, its worth it), or DON'T and spend $ on Crowns as you see fit.

It has nothing to do with subscribers being "worthy" or not. Its just two different PAYMENT MODELS.

I agree there. I'm just saying people haven't figured that out yet. They think ESO is taking a SWTOR approach where it is so limiting to play for free, it forces you to subscribe or be gimped and that is NOT what ESO is doing.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It was mentioned that a subscriber gets access to cosmetics, horses in different colors, pets, costumes etc. While its understandable that some people care about those optional features, they are at no time required to play this game. Same applies to the XP boost or the crowns that a player will get over time.

DLC´s can be bought by real money and while we don't know how they look like now, I would guess a full AV would count as a DLC, while hopefully a barber shop, new guild tools, new professions wont.

So if we now assume a new AV comes out, then a reasonable player will just buy this and stay unsubbed. The benefit of this procedure is a less bounding contract with ZO + the ownership of the actual DLC. A subscriber has to commit to the game, even if you don't play you pay money and the result is not even owning the DLC.

Yes some players will stay subbed for cosmetics and a 10% buff, but I doubt that this system will work for a majority of the current subscribers.

As mentioned, GW2 has a gem shop. You must pump in money there, else you face huge disadvantages. SWTOR has the Cartel Market where you must pump in money to not face huge disadvantages or you sub etc.

ESO has none of that and because of this people ask a valid question as to why they should sub if they are not interested in cosmetics.
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What part of "You get 1500 crowns per month so that you can buy DLCs + other Crown store goodies + 10% XP bonus" are you not understanding?

yet again your being rude why?
  • Apokh
    Apokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphyel wrote: »
    Yeah, that has been so much stuff that it was worth paying +$100 for it.

Oh...kay?! And (why) did you keep your sub alive in the past?

Seraphyel wrote: »

Personally; I'd assume have some more XP and gold for now even if small...
    Erm...you do get more XP/Gold...in fact as sub.
    Edited by Apokh on February 23, 2015 2:08PM
    Legenden
    Play@Feierabend mit der legendärsten Feierabendgilde.
    Besuch uns.
    Es ist besser zu schweigen und alle glauben zu lassen, man sei dumm, als den Mund aufzumachen und alle Zweifel zu beseitigen.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

So if we now assume a new AV comes out, then a reasonable player will just buy this and stay unsubbed. The benefit of this procedure is a less bounding contract with ZO + the ownership of the actual DLC. A subscriber has to commit to the game, even if you don't play you pay money and the result is not even owning the DLC.

This right here. ^^ Faster XP gain plus cosmetics options via a stipend of crowns are really not all that worthwhile to a lot of players. What WOULD make a sub worthwhile is permanent ownership of the DLC. That's the biggeset selling point for remaining subbed that I can see.

• Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMORPG.com: What inspired the name Tamriel Unlimited? How long did it take to settle on this name?
    A: We wanted a name that gives the impression of freedom – freedom to play how you want, and freedom to pay for the game the way you want.
    Seems Eric didn't get the memo when it comes to playing a Sorc.

• TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Erm, or be smart about it, don't subscribe and then subscribe when new content gets released :open_mouth:
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMORPG.com: During the ESO Tamriel Unlimited discussion, you mentioned that the DLC content (Orsinium/Wrothgar etc.) will be ready for players no matter the level. Once you purchase it, you’ll be able to go in and explore it with your friends. Does the DLC content scale the player to level 50 or does the content scale to the player’s level? If so, how does that work if my friends are of different levels?
    A: It will work very similarly to the way lower-level players are “battle leveled” in Cyrodiil – your character will be boosted up while you are in the zone, so you’ll be able to play it with friends of all levels, in much the same way you do that now in Cyrodiil.
    This .. sounds .. dreadful.

It may be a solution in PVP, for PVE it's horrible, it means character progression is meaningless and pointless. Why grind levels when you can be level 1 and 'upscaled' to play end-game content.

Tell me this is a joke.
    Edited by Kragorn on February 23, 2015 2:14PM