Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar Charge: still broken?

david.haypreub18_ESO
david.haypreub18_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
With update 1.6, the developers have said they have 'slightly' reduced the Global Cool Down on the Templars' Focused Charge, to make it 'feel' more responsive. Do you think this has fixed the problem?
Edited by david.haypreub18_ESO on January 30, 2015 5:38PM
Templars are 'just slower... by design'
Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
VR 16 Sorcerer
38 Nightblade
24 DK

Templar Charge: still broken? 47 votes

Nope, it is still broken
89%
NestorJoy_DivisionYolokin_SwagonbornTheLawglakKhivas_CarrickKalikiTankqullBugCollectorAreziusAriBohHexcaliberdanno8Anath_QImdrefanAektannSoulScreamJujujitsuTiaxdavid.haypreub18_ESO 42 votes
Yes, that fixed it
10%
jakenaftalb14a_ESOBlooddancerPanda244jsalit5149Lord Xanhorn 5 votes
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    Pretty damn obvious that while the move is changed and made slightly better, it still pales in comparison to it's cousins from other classes and skill lines.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    The design within the class itself is stupid.

Having a class-based charge fits better with a DK than a class with so many active slots wasted on utility. (Oh they don't need a charge, that's right. Because they can run up and root everything or pull it to them.)

Although this isn't even utility. It's just bad. It serves no purpose at all. I have no idea why the marginally useful Blinding Flashes, which was at least marginally useful get cut and this ability which is still terrible and useless (seriously, Shield Charge and Critical Charge are far superior).

Better question is who actually uses charges on loadouts in anything other than leveling and maybe the sick individuals who try to PVP without a bow or bathrobe and stick.

There's very limited purpose to charge abilities in this game that hates melee to begin with.

Templars would be better served with another damage dealing or crowd control ability in place of focused charge.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    It's still there, that 1 sec delay before you can use a skill again. I did notice a very tiny improvement on PTS, but Invasion still works much smoother.

Very inconvenient and pointless to equip a gap closer that's also cc'ing the user lol. Specially since the 2-Hander and S&B skill does the job nicely.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    Clearly the skill would be OP if it didn't CC the user for 1 second.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    Clearly the skill would be OP if it didn't CC the user for 1 second.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the shield charge spam.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    Pmarsico9 wrote: »

Better question is who actually uses charges on loadouts in anything other than leveling and maybe the sick individuals who try to PVP without a bow or bathrobe and stick.

I use Invasion all the time in PvE (that does not mean Trials). It's a great way to handle multiple mobs, Invasion, drop a DoT, turn to the next Mob repeat. Get the timing down, and 3 mobs are just perma stunned while I deal out damage.

I wanted to use the Templar Ability, but not after hearing about this cool down timer. Who's bright idea was that? The whole reason I use Invasion is so I can use another skill immediately after. I am glad I did not waste skill point on this.

Edited by Nestor on February 4, 2015 5:22PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    It absolutely astounds me how obstinate ZoS is in keeping the unnecessary global cooldown on this skill.

If this had *anything* to do with balance concerns, then all the other gap-closers would have the same cooldown.
    Edited by Joy_Division on February 6, 2015 12:56AM
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    It absolutely astounds my have obstinate ZoS is in keeping the unnecessary global cooldown on this skill.

If this had *anything* to do with balance concerns, then all the other gap-closers would have the same cooldown.

It really seems just like pure obstinacy at this point. It is totally inexplicable to me.

The saddest part is, we know that someone actually looked at the skill recently, since 1.6 sees a full overhaul of skills and they actually changed it a bit. That same person actually thought, 'Nope, can't simply remove the GCD from the skill... that would make it overpowered' (despite the fact that no other charges have one). That is perhaps the most incomprehensible part of it all.
    Edited by david.haypreub18_ESO on February 4, 2015 6:33PM
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    Nestor wrote: »

I use Invasion all the time in PvE (that does not mean Trials). It's a great way to handle multiple mobs, Invasion, drop a DoT, turn to the next Mob repeat. Get the timing down, and 3 mobs are just perma stunned while I deal out damage.

I wanted to use the Templar Ability, but not after hearing about this cool down timer. Who's bright idea was that? The whole reason I use Invasion is so I can use another skill immediately after. I am glad I did not waste skill point on this.

Yes that's exactly the point though:

If Invasion is so good (Critical Charge is awesome, too), what's the purpose?

This class gives up AN ENTIRE TREE to healing, then has support abilities peppered into its two other trees.

Focused Charge will never be better than Invasion, Shielded Assault, or Critical Charge.

Look at it from this perspective:

Blinding Flashes was far more useful than Focused Charge. And it was just removed and replaced with Radiant Destruction.

Put a melee DoT there like Searing Strike or something. In fact put anything there that actually deals damage rather than being a situational piece of crap that for some reason is the only ability in the game that needs a GCD........
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    I'm actually ok with that idea, a melee dot that is.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken

Khivas, let's look at it this way:

How does it fit into the kit? Even if it worked like it was supposed to, would you prefer that as DPS or Critical Charge as a gap closer? Or would you prefer neither and simply swap to a bow to continue some pressure?

How about if you tanked? Would you prefer this or as somebody posted above, Invasion/Shielded Assault?

What about this ability improves the kit overall?

Because having leveled as a Tank-lar, I leveled both morphs of this to full and you know what?

I never used it. It never fit a loadout. As a tank, the best thing you can do is help heal. Spending a precious ability slot on this piece of junk compared to Invasion providing CC or Shielded Assault providing a shield that stacks with Sun Shield is a no brainer.

I have another interrupt. Explosive is a terrible morph and Toppling is very limited in what it actually works on.

So for a class with a 10 ability potential kit for damage dealing actives, where does this fit?

In my opinion it doesn't. It serves no purpose in any particular facet of ESO gameplay. It only offers redundancy and is inferior in so many ways to other abilities.

So here's a suggestion:

Replace it with Crowd Control or a melee DoT to maintain.
  • BugCollector
    BugCollector
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    Is it really that hard? Once you hit the enemy with the charge, you should be able to move instantly. Come one Zenimax, this is not hard.
    May knowledge guide you to enlightenment
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    So, on ESO live, the dude said that the global cool down on the Templar charge was a bug, and that it is going to be removed.

I find it hard to believe they really thought it was a bug, since the PTS patch notes specifically say that the 'global cool down' on the skill was being only 'slightly reduced'. But in any case, this is good news!
    Edited by david.haypreub18_ESO on February 14, 2015 11:13PM
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    Yup,

Something doesn't line up here.

Screenshot of section in Patch notes calling it a "post global cooldown."

jQQ1nMl.png

Link to ESO Live on 02/13/2015 where Eric Wrobel says its a "bug" and they are going to fix it. @59m35s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSjxZZTS1Uw#t=59m35s

Eric: "That's just a bug, and we're looking into getting it fixed"
    Gina: "Done!"
    Templars who actually play the game: "Nope! Still broken."
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on March 22, 2015 8:52AM
  • Skafsgaard
    Skafsgaard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken

Khivas, let's look at it this way:

How does it fit into the kit? Even if it worked like it was supposed to, would you prefer that as DPS or Critical Charge as a gap closer? Or would you prefer neither and simply swap to a bow to continue some pressure?

How about if you tanked? Would you prefer this or as somebody posted above, Invasion/Shielded Assault?

What about this ability improves the kit overall?

Because having leveled as a Tank-lar, I leveled both morphs of this to full and you know what?

I never used it. It never fit a loadout. As a tank, the best thing you can do is help heal. Spending a precious ability slot on this piece of junk compared to Invasion providing CC or Shielded Assault providing a shield that stacks with Sun Shield is a no brainer.

I have another interrupt. Explosive is a terrible morph and Toppling is very limited in what it actually works on.

So for a class with a 10 ability potential kit for damage dealing actives, where does this fit?

In my opinion it doesn't. It serves no purpose in any particular facet of ESO gameplay. It only offers redundancy and is inferior in so many ways to other abilities.

So here's a suggestion:

Replace it with Crowd Control or a melee DoT to maintain.

For a magicka based templar - a magicka based gap closer fits really well into the kit. Also, you get synergy from Templpar passive Burning Light and is one of few reliable stuns a magicka templar has. Without this skill how should I chase a fleeing sorc?

Using any kind og stam based gap closer is a no go, since often I cant activated for being low on stamina or if I use it 1 or 2 times im stam drained and next frag will CC me and then die cos I cannot break CC. Without this magicka charge an entire build style of templar (think WoW Retribution Paladin or something like that) is basically destroyed.

I dont think I would ever use a gap closer for PvE - just aoe spam is fine.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Get ready for the most intense online PvP experience ever created, with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Yes, I am ready...

Source:
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/the-alliance-war
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    So, a pretty strong impression that it is still broken. I think that at least warrants a clarification by the devs as to whether the skill is now working as intended or whether they recognize that a majority of Templars consider the skill to still be broken.
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • FireCowCommando
    FireCowCommando
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it is still broken
    The last time the developers even talked about templars on the forums was in june 2014 im pretty sure?

Atleast thats the last post in the developer discussion section. because ZoS cares about the communication to the templar community on game breaking issues.

Templars may just be the new Scourge 2.0

Planned to delete them, accidently do it earlier then expected. screw every player out of everything they worked for.

Sounds about right to me.