Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

In Game Crown Store Integration Concept

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I do not abhor the idea of the Crown Store. I was already buying plushies and nendoroid type figures (which I really don’t care for at all) to get pets in game so the idea of paying for additional content doesn’t concern me.

What does concern me, however, is the possibility that crown store items will replace gameplay goals and be relegated to fluff items which will make the usefulness of the Crown Store wane and will lead to lower profits for ZOS. I think there is a way to integrate Crown Store items into ESO gameplay that will not only encourage players to keep playing ESO but will also encourage those playing to buy crown store items.

ZOS should have some Crown Store items unlockable through quests within ESO. The item will be in the store, but won’t be purchasable. Looking at the item will either tell the player how to unlock the item through in game quests or will give the player the option to add a quest to their journal from the Crown Store.

Example:

The Knights of the Eight (precursors to the Knights of the Nine) exist in ESO. There could be full armor set costumes in the crown store for purchase, but only AFTER you complete the Trials of the Eight. There could be 4 different armor set costumes.
  • Page of the Eight (Unlocked after completing 2 of the 8 trials)
  • Squire of the Eight (Unlocked after completing 4 of the 8 trials)
  • Knight of the Eight (Unlocked after completing 6 of the 8 trials)
  • Lord of the Eight (Unlocked after completing 8 of the 8 trials)
If in the crown store, the player will receive a quest to visit a specific NPC in game in order to begin the trials. This will be added to their journal and they can visit the NPC whenever they wish.

Players that find the same NPC in game can start the trials without visiting the crown store and when they unlock the costumes in the crown store they will be informed in-game. This doesn’t mean, however, that there are no rewards for the trials. Each trial could reward one of the following crusader Relics:
  • Greaves of Akatosh
  • Cuirass of Dibella
  • Sword of Arkay
  • Mace of Zenithar
  • Gauntlets of Stendarr
  • Bow of Mara
  • Boots of Kynareth
  • Shield of Julianos
While these items together will provide the player with an (almost) complete set of armor the different pieces shouldn’t have a cohesive style. They will provide the player with stat bonuses as a reward for completing the trials and the mismatched nature of the items will give the players an incentive to buy the costumes from the Crown store to publically show their accomplishment.

hqdefault.jpg

This integration could also be achieved by providing players with the Crown Store item upon purchase which in turn allows them to participate in the in-games quests. Page of the Eight costume allows a player to go on the Page Trials, Squire of the Eight allows a player to go on the Squire Trials... etc.

This is the sort of synergy that will make the Crown Store more than a place where players feel they are being asked to shell out cash for in-game items. This type of integration could make the Crown Store a magnificent boon to players and to the overall RPG experience of ESO.

Thoughts?
Edited by Gidorick on April 7, 2016 10:41PM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Approved 100%! Now get this thread more attention!!! :#
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be neat.

I'd REALLY REALLY like to see them strike a nice balance between coming out with nice fluff in the shop and playable content updates.

I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into SWTOR, with lottery packs and agonizingly slow content updates.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Content that rewards a stat bonus that is bought in the crown store.

Yeah, people will scream pay to win at that.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Content that rewards a stat bonus that is bought in the crown store.

Yeah, people will scream pay to win at that.

You misunderstand. There are no stats on the costumes in this concept. The stats come from ugly mismatched armor the player gets from in game questing. The quests also unlock the cosmetic costumes In the Crown store.
    Edited by Gidorick on February 2, 2015 12:33AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm OK
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an additional concept for summonable beast merchants that I think would work well with the "in game quest leads to crown store purchases" concept.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/149698/summonable-beast-merchants-and-banker
    Edited by Gidorick on February 2, 2015 3:14PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Wolfsspinne
    Wolfsspinne
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get this...
    Why would anyone want to unlock the ability to pay money for something?
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get this...
    Why would anyone want to unlock the ability to pay money for something?

So it's also an achievement. This is a way to monetize in game achievements. I don't think it's been done before and people would enjoy the challange.

Mostly though this is MUCH better for the integrity of the game than the straight up "hey buy this and look cool! " cash shop model.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Wolfsspinne
    Wolfsspinne
    ✭✭✭
    OK, but why not have one scaling costume that looks more cool the more (trial) achievements you have unlocked.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, but why not have one scaling costume that looks more cool the more (trial) achievements you have unlocked.

I like this idea, but what if you like how the squire costume looks but have completed all trials? Now you're stuck with the Lord costume. Maybe you buy the "pack" and not individual costumes.... but then again, what if you're ONLY interested in the Knight of the Eight costume?

Lots of different player desires possible.

Edited by Gidorick on February 2, 2015 4:13PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Beerbill
    Beerbill
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome as a quest, you don't need real money involved in this.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beerbill wrote: »
    Awesome as a quest, you don't need real money involved in this.

Then how does ZOS get paid?

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.