The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

GPU temperatures extremely high with DSR settings.

Jade1986
Jade1986
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So I recently noticed there was an update to the settings for ESO on GeForce experience, and it says, for my system, that recommended settings are 3840 x 2160 DSR, and my monitor is native 1920 x 1080. So I decided to test it out. Well, I ran CPUID HWmonitor in the background while playing for half an hour to see where the temperature caps out, and it hit a whopping 92° Celsius! So, to anyone that uses GeForce experience, I highly recommend you check your temperatures if you use the default recommended settings, because I am pretty sure that is not a healthy temperature.

If you guys were wondering what my specs are

GTX690 4gb GPU
I7-3820 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM

Im thinking I should probably contact NVidia as well, because these recommended settings could potentially fry some peoples PC's, unless 92 ° is acceptable, but I really don't think it is. Is it?
Edited by Jade1986 on January 29, 2015 10:11PM
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    92C is quite high, but nothing that would damage your PC in short-term, they can reach 95C with no problems.
    But make sure you custom your GPU fan profile.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on January 29, 2015 10:27PM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was monitoring it with HWmonitor and in windowed mode it drops to 72 ° in fullscreen its max is 91 or 92 and then hovers around 85 most the time. Idle temps are only 35° : confused : how do you custom your gpu fan profile?
  • VisceralMonkey
    Yes, it's rendering it at a higher resolution and then downsampling it. The card uses a lot more resources and as a result, more heat. When I use this, I just have a custom profile that bumps my fans up a bit.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, I don't see a difference at all with my monitor, its 1920 x 1080, and the difference is literally minuscule. So I will just make a custom profile for ESO, all other games it has recommended setting of 1920 x 1080, I have no idea why it makes the recommended setting for this game so high. Seems unnecessary, because again , I see no difference. I just wanted to let people know to be careful. =). But how do you make a custom fan profile? I never did that before and am curious. Knowledge is power =P.
    Edited by Jade1986 on January 29, 2015 11:48PM
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laced wrote: »
    I was monitoring it with HWmonitor and in windowed mode it drops to 72 ° in fullscreen its max is 91 or 92 and then hovers around 85 most the time. Idle temps are only 35° : confused : how do you custom your gpu fan profile?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHVhZ_ARn4
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • VisceralMonkey
    There is a difference, it's a round about way of doing full screen AA. However, I'll be honest and say it's probably over kill.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did quite a bit of research on the matter, and the DSR ability was meant for the GTX 970 and 980, and is NOT, I repeat, NOT recommended for anything lower than that, the temperatures get too high, and the cards will over time fry. I have NO idea why GeForce experience is recommending the 4k version for my 690. I prefer to have my graphics card last, not replace it after 4 months. My fans were default set to hit 95 percent when it hits 90 ° but it still drops back down a little and goes back up, I was monitoring it with HWmonitor. Ill just stick to my native resolution to be safe. I know there is a difference, but its not that noticeable on the screen I have since its not that big.
    Edited by Jade1986 on January 30, 2015 2:35PM
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update, I did some custom fan profiles, and made the fans go to 95 percent the second the gpu hits 80, its a little better, but still hovers around 80-85°. :neutral_face:
    Edited by Jade1986 on January 30, 2015 2:36PM