The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

What on earth is Kiting or Being Kited? Killing Fildgor and other questions.

DirtyHarry
DirtyHarry
Soul Shriven
I'm in Eastmarch tryi'n to 86 this guy Fildgor, a real PITA, and just can't figure this one out, I found this thread on a search :
forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/83252/fildgor-orcthane-tactics
: but I don't understand half of what these folks are talk'n about. Is there some kind of code book or list to try to decipher what some of the abbreviations mean?

I'm leveled up pretty good (I just hit lvl 34) with a bow and I can get this guys health down by jabbing at him with my bow shots and some knock down spells but the ghosts just heal him back up.

Should I level up some more? or can I even take this guy out at my level? And what the heck is Kiting?

thanks for any help
Edited by DirtyHarry on January 26, 2015 6:39AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiting means you are running away (keeping distance) from an enemy while doing damage to him. Usually used against a melee-only enemy, hitting him with ranged attacks and using snares to slow him down so he will never reach you before dying.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kiting, skirting the enemy, going around him dodging attacks whilst getting your own in.

Basic combat skill, it means the opponent has a harder time hitting you, but the key is to make the way you do it random looking, so they can't guess/calculate.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was standing behind his alter after rezzing myself, and invested in and added the Sparks skill to my bar so he could no longer Melee me, it was an easy kill after that. I have not had much use for this skill after this fight, but it was essential for this one. I did it at VR Levels
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't kite to far or the mob resets.

Sometimes this can be as short a distance as a single room.
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah kiting - see it like a kite - you are the one holding the string/in control but keeping him/it a safe distance from yourself whilst attacking.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just google, "popular gaming acronyms".... or something along those lines.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Islyn wrote: »
    Yeah kiting - see it like a kite - you are the one holding the string/in control but keeping him/it a safe distance from yourself whilst attacking.

Actually it comes from the bird of prey Kite (Red Kite) and how it circles it's prey, not sure why Kiting and not Eagling or Buzzarding, but there you go.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually it comes from the bird of prey Kite (Red Kite) and how it circles it's prey, not sure why Kiting and not Eagling or Buzzarding, but there you go.

As Alex said the word itself comes from the bird of prey of the same name.

It's actually not a modern word and not in the modern dictionary under this definition, it's an Old English word that dates back hundreds of years and originally referred to the tactic of mounted sling/axe thrower or archers in which they would use the speed of their horses to circle foot soldiers at safe distance while firing missiles at them to soften them up before an attack, much like as Alex stated the Kite circles it's prey before attacking.
    Edited by Belidos on January 27, 2015 10:48AM
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Aww thanks! (I'll define it how I like :-P) +1 insightful though - thanks!

I was defining it for the rest of us who do not belong on Jeopardy! :-)

(Not being a snot - honest - I reallly appreciated the definition of the word - was just explaining how kiting goes - iyswim!!)
    Edited by Islyn on January 28, 2015 10:23AM
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belidos wrote: »

As Alex said the word itself comes from the bird of prey of the same name.

It's actually not a modern word and not in the modern dictionary under this definition, it's an Old English word that dates back hundreds of years and originally referred to the tactic of mounted sling/axe thrower or archers in which they would use the speed of their horses to circle foot soldiers at safe distance while firing missiles at them to soften them up before an attack, much like as Alex stated the Kite circles it's prey before attacking.

Yeah I was not attempting to give a dictionary definition.
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *bows* You're welcome. I'll be here all week! Tip your waitresses!
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *bows* You're welcome. I'll be here all week! Tip your waitresses!

Tip your waitresses? really? can't they sit down for five minutes without someone tipping them over?
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wait, is that right?
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

Wait, is that right?

dictionary.reference.com/browse/kiting

2. any of several small birds of the hawk family Accipitridae that have long, pointed wings, feed on insects, carrion, reptiles, rodents, and birds, and are noted for their graceful, gliding flight.

6. Informal. to fly or move with a rapid or easy motion like that of a kite.

The thing is Kiting is a Medieval Slang term that has been revived by gaming, it was popularised before the introduction of box-kites to Europe. So the only thing that was called a kite back then was the bird.

Oh, and I remember a few references in books I read when I was a teen, but that was twenty years ago, and I don't recall what the books were (apart from sword and sorcery).
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • DirtyHarry
    DirtyHarry
    Soul Shriven
    LOL thanks everyone, I got it, had to "kite" around the pillars staying and keeping him away from the ghost circle, only took 2 tries.

Sharee, I kinda thought that's what it was but then again I see some players that look as if they can rope an enemy with magic so I wasn't sure.

Actually that's the way I play every enemy as my Dragon Knight is mainly a bow fighter.

Thank y'all for the kind generous responses. This shows a great community!

PS: not sure why I'm not getting email notifications on responses though, gotta go through my profile settings again and see what's up.

Edited by DirtyHarry on February 1, 2015 4:07PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DirtyHarry wrote: »
    PS: not sure why I'm not getting email notifications on responses though, gotta go through my profile settings again and see what's up.

It's because you started the thread, if you create a thread you get notifications every time some posts in that thread. You can disable the email part of the notifications though.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    DirtyHarry wrote: »
    ..... Actually that's the way I play every enemy as my Dragon Knight is mainly a bow fighter.......

Yeah, my main and a few alts are Desto staff users, and I always enjoy fighting that way. I am always sure to have some form of snare ability to hold the enemy away, and some "get the #@% off me" ability to bash folks and send them flying.
    My goal is to never get hit with anything but a spell or an arrow.