The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Fildgor Orcthane tactics

LevinBerendt
LevinBerendt
Soul Shriven
So, I've died more times than I care to count trying to defeat him. I've seen the video of him being kited with a bow, but as I've completely avoided developing ranged combat, I'm not in a position to use that strategy.

I'm obviously missing something about this fight, but it seems that no matter what I try to block, avoid, interrupt, I get him down to a small amount of health and then he 2 shots me.

Any advice will be appreciated. 'Other' comments will be chuckled at.
Edited by LevinBerendt on April 19, 2014 7:51PM
  • Kestrana
    Kestrana
    Totally agree. I've left to get get higher level/better gear twice and I still can't get him past 20%. I also don't have ranged skills but using a shield + 1h did seem to work better even though I haven't developed that skill line as far as 2h or Dual Wield.
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    This guy is a prick. You can get him down to 10% and the ghost start healing him. You can't attack the ghost, sleep them, or anything.

As for what I do, I am a Sor. I usually nuke, then uppercut what does a knock back for 4.5 seconds, then the sor ability to confuse him for 16 seconds.

While he is confused I regen stats. Do this 2x and he gets down to 10-15%. Then the ghost start healing him, and I die.

Any actual advice would be nice.
  • Valion
    Valion
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I experienced pretty much the same as you did, mates. Finally, being a (broken) crit-based NB, I forced him down into the "golden age" of ancestral support. A bit of evasive action followed.
    Then, I made sure I got rid of the two ghosts supporting him. Finally, I attacked him with all I had - and I won't spoiler any further.. ;-)
    "What does not redound to the swarm's advantage, that does not serve the single bee either."
    - Marc Aurel

"We ask not how many, but where they are."
    - Dunmeri Valiant Vow
  • codyyoungnub18_ESO
    Did this last night with my healer/crafter, level appropriate. A lot of kiting (not damage kiting just running away until he winds up so I can block and stun him) It appeared to me killing the ghosts healed me, saved my own knockdown for when they spawned, knocked him down killed one ghost, kited until my knockdown then killed other ghost. (did have to use pots as well even with my healing the health/mana/stam crafted pots) This char is sorc healer all crafting so by no means offensive. (nothing in any weapons but heal). After the 20th try victory was sweet.

edit: FYI (spoiler) if you choose to kill him like I did you literally have to fight him all over again, took 10 tries first fight 10 tries to end him -.-
    Edited by codyyoungnub18_ESO on April 21, 2014 8:53PM
  • Reblosch
    Reblosch
    Well, here is the tactic I used : I am a lvl41 sorcerer with some storm spells, heavy armor and 2H weapon. No way to kill him this way, though I have decent gear and I have no problems doing regular quests.

So I switch to my healing staff, with no other magicka gear, but some healing staff skill points, and kill him using only 1 healing spell and shooting him with my staff at a distance ; I have a small magicka pool.

Conclusion : you can kill him and his ghosts by kiting him even with crappy gear and spec, but no way to do it in a regular 2H fight.
  • Zephyr
    Zephyr
    ✭✭
    I just snared him and kited him, it was honestly a cake walk after I figured out what to do.
    NA Server - Ebonheart Pact - Irisana
  • LevinBerendt
    LevinBerendt
    Soul Shriven
    Saving my knockdown for when the ghosts spawned was the trick. Thanks Cody.
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snared and kited with the bow and he was np. :)
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    Did this last night with my healer/crafter, level appropriate. A lot of kiting (not damage kiting just running away until he winds up so I can block and stun him) It appeared to me killing the ghosts healed me, saved my own knockdown for when they spawned, knocked him down killed one ghost, kited until my knockdown then killed other ghost. (did have to use pots as well even with my healing the health/mana/stam crafted pots) This char is sorc healer all crafting so by no means offensive. (nothing in any weapons but heal). After the 20th try victory was sweet.

edit: FYI (spoiler) if you choose to kill him like I did you literally have to fight him all over again, took 10 tries first fight 10 tries to end him -.-

Huh?? I also chose to kill him, but didn't have to fight him again.

• iLLNiSS
    iLLNiSS
    Soul Shriven
    just beat this guy now. last night i tried twice and failed miserably (didn't even get to his healing stage).

today i ALMOST beat him first try using my tank.
    shield bash to interupt him ANYTIME hes about to do anything. so make sure you got stamina potions. use them as soon as you can as often as you can and avoid stamina draining abilities with the exception of using something like pierce armour to reduce his armour for a bit and use it again when it runs out.

i mostly used pierce armour and green dragon blood with regular attacks as to not lose my shield bash ability. when his healers came out i took them out as soon as i could but got snared. almost died but magicka regenned and was able to restore with the green dragon blood.

i was getting very worried i was going to die the second time as i had him down to almost nothing and ran out of health and stamina but my magicka regenned just in time to heal and shield bash him once more for the win.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can kill/cc the ghosts... silver bolts.

In fact, my dk killed him exclusively with firey talons and silver bolts.
  • JadeDarkstep
    As a dragonknight. VR4.

At first I went into fight with melee weapons equipped and experienced serious animation lag, so I wasn't even able to interrupt him and lost my health really easily.
    The lag went even so far that I saw my character's death animation after Fildgor had moved back to his spawn.

So I had only spare skill point, one purple bow in inventory and no points in bow tree at all. Equipped the bow, unlocked the first skill, and also chose Obsidian Shard, Molten Armaments and Petrify skills from Earthen Heart tree. The most useful of them was of course Petrify. Readied magicka potions for quick slot and went into fight again.
    Used the bow skill on Fildgor and run backwards at the same time. When he made it close to me, then petrified him. Then simply regenerated, if needed - used the potion. When he started moving again, then repeated the procedure. And once ghosts popped out, petrified Fildgor again and switched to 2H and killed the ghosts. Then finished off Fildgor with Executioner skill from 2H tree.

Actually I was supposed to deconstruct that bow if reached my woodworking to level 32. :D
    Edited by JadeDarkstep on May 1, 2014 3:43PM
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty much exactly what I did at level 36. 5 minute fight and I don't think he ever landed a blow. If you try to melee him you'll get knocked back into last week. Love that petrify (now fossilize) spell.
    Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    just tried this ranged+snare thing. All was good untill two ghosts activated. Something odd happened, i was at full health, then suddenly died just like that. The boss did not even look that he was doing something. just snap! youre dead.

second attempt with exactly same tactics, but killed the ghosts as soon as they appeared: success.

played as a nightblade, lvl38. Skills used: Prolonged Suffering and Swallow Soul.
    Edited by Belrim on May 2, 2014 5:37PM
    Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.
  • pjcaguerwb17_ESO
    Kia ora

This fight is totally OP there's no way from NZ I can do this on a Sorc, I have NO knock back my encase last seconds and hes on me, two dodge's NO stamina three cast NO magicka,. NOT a scrape, NOT a scrap of regen while fighting. Hope you happy ZOS you have $350 of my cash your up the ladder just look out for the MMO Eletist/hardcore player. never mind an option to group for fights that are too hard for some, Henry ford Choice's,.. Play how you want as long as it's our way,. you got what you want, but you WILL loose my like me who don't kite well or if at all and are older and slower, 2H weapons are OP I can not interrupt or block them at all, they knock me for a row sh** can EVERY time even normal PVE mobs. I'll just play out my sub on alts at this rate. I had high hopes this game was different, but it's just and other MMO, NOT and MMO/RPG, I'm about done if there no changes to make these fight do able, people like them this hard, OK I get that, but its a kick in the teeeth to not have an option to get through with a friend if need be
  • thayertr
    thayertr
    Just beat it as a 37 DK tank. Just charge, hit, run, regen. Lather, rinse, repeat. Took me less than a minute to beat him down til the ghosts spawned. Then charged and killed the ghosts. Took 3 Stam pots in total.
  • jimmulvaney
    jimmulvaney
    ✭✭✭
    Lvl 41 2h Earthen Heart DK
    Opened up with an 2h Axe Stampede for a crit attack and some bleeding, Dodge his swing, Interrupt his lightning charge, when he goes ethereal snare with Flaming Talons, twice until he cools off and returns to human form. Switch to 2h mace to break his armor down, knock him down with Stone Giant, power swing, repeat. When ghosts show up silver shards and power swings. This may seem a little cheap but if you need a chance to catch your breath run up the stairs and put a column between the two of you, things get too hot just drop off the edge and run back to ring. Fildgor takes his time taking the stairs. Gives you enough time to switch potions and pop one. I only needed 1 health and 1 magic pot. Didn't even get to pop off my standard of might. :(
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc early/mid 30s. Moved to Rift at 34. Killed before I left.

Bow sorc. Surge, shoot. Keep up venom arrow, sprint if needed. Encase if he gets too close but you can outrun him with sprint. Light attacks, procced shard if surge procs it. Kill ghosts asap.
  • mfritzlen
    mfritzlen
    ✭✭
    This and the bugged Lyris Doppleganger fight have convinced me that this game is not worth renewing. Casting Templars just do not put out enough damage and Im too old to be worrying about when to block, dodge or whatfuckingever.
  • Banzan
    Banzan
    Unfortunately, I have to agree, completly fekked desgin.
    You chosed the wrong class/spec, well, bad luck for you. You chose the right one - a walk in the park.
    I am too annoyed by too many final quests steps where you suffer as a 2Handed melee.
  • chrisub17_ESO104
    chrisub17_ESO104
    ✭✭✭
    This guy completely bugged out on me. When I kill both ghosts, he became unkillable his hitpoints didn't drop. Tried it twice in a row same result. Left one ghost alive and he died.

On a Nightblade this guy is cake. Just shadow cloak/conceiled weapon over and over mix in death stroke when it's up. I did this for like 10 minutes trying to kill the unkillable version, never went below 80% health.
  • Red_Beard
    Red_Beard
    Soul Shriven
    Level 40 Sorc (light armor + bound, destro staff). Dropped a Storm Atronach on him and used a combo of knockback (fire staff) and impulse. Beat him on the first try. Don't know if I blindly killed his ghosts with impulse, saw them for a brief second, but he capitulated shortly after.
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    level 29 DK

Teamed up with a bow NB, as long as one of us is not dead, he won't reset. So there is that. I died 3 times, he/she died once. Got it done.
  • TheOldPopster
    TheOldPopster
    ✭✭
    I am 65 years old and not nimble enough of finger to be able to dodge effectively all the time but I beat Fildgur as a level 38 Templar. After having my lunch handed to me a number of times I went away, renewed my armor and came back. Then I approached just near enough to activate my bow and hit Fildgur once to activate him, turned tail and ran all the way back and down the stairs. While waiting for him to come over I had enough time to switch to my sword and shield. Once he approached me with his rush attack I whacked him repeatedly with my shield bash until my stamina was depleted. Then started hitting him with the Aedric spear until it was depleted. With good timing he had time enough only to hit me once during this entire assault. Once the magica was depleted the stamina had recharged enough to allow about 3 more shield bash hits and then two more spear hits and he was down to his surrender health level. By luring him down the stairs he was beyond his healers and they never were able to reheal him at all, so it was just his starting health I had to whittle away.
    Edited by TheOldPopster on May 14, 2014 10:07PM
  • ZheinLevin
    ZheinLevin
    ✭✭
    I'm a Sorcerer. I used Destructive Clench, Liquid Lightning, Mages' Wrath and Summon Greater Storm Atronach for this fight.

Initiated the battle by Summoning the Storm Atronach then spammed Liquid Lightning on him. When the Storm Atronach's duration ended and Fildgor chased me, I used destructive clench(fire staff) to knock him back when he came close and used Liquid Lightning when he was down. When his life dipped below 20%, I bolted him to death with Mage's Wrath.

Used mana pots a lot.
    NA Ebonheart Pact
    Cuddles the Tyrant - VR16 Orc Dragon Knight | Little Whirlwind - VR16 High Elf Sorcerer
    Boogie Wonderland - VR6 Redguard Templar | Flabby Tabby - Noob Khajiit Nightblade
  • virreab16_ESO
    Just was at him dying all the time until I noticed you dont have to kill him at all. You get seriously insane if you try to kill him .

Talk to the guy at altar, leave sovengarde and voila.

Dont get me wrong I do think this completely breaks the game if you dont get a challenge at all. Then again fighting this guy is not a challenge its a deathwish.
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just was at him dying all the time until I noticed you dont have to kill him at all. You get seriously insane if you try to kill him .

Talk to the guy at altar, leave sovengarde and voila.

Dont get me wrong I do think this completely breaks the game if you dont get a challenge at all. Then again fighting this guy is not a challenge its a deathwish.

nice find! i will keep that in mind when i do v9 quest.
  • andersvaeldsb16_ESO
    andersvaeldsb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I pulled him downstairs and kited him around the pool of light with my bow equipped. When he cried out for help the ghosts where too far away.
    Lvl 36 NB.
  • Flashygrrl
    Flashygrrl
    ✭✭✭
    I went backwards around the arena throwing daggers at him the whole time, had stamina potions hotkeyed and timed it so that when I got near the ghosts I triggered my AoE Ultimate. I took many, many deaths before I finally figured it out.
    Edited by Flashygrrl on May 28, 2014 11:49PM
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    VR9 DK. Sword and Board. Finished him off two nights ago with judicious use of Green Dragon Blood, Pierce and Reverberating Bash.

Kept my stamina for the ghosts; smacked them down with Silver Bolt and a quick smack with the sword.

Momma, just killed a man...
    Dropped a banner on his head, within moments he was dead...