Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Good builds for a new player?

OhhPaigey
OhhPaigey
✭✭✭
Hey, so I'm wondering now that the game has been out awhile, are there some builds people would recommend for a beginner? When I played beta, and early access I picked the Shadow Nightblade I believe. And I'd just put all my points into Stamina. Ideas? I think I was using daggers.

The problem I noticed with whatever build I was doing, is if it wasn't a single target fight, I would basically die right away lol.
Blame it on the skinny jeans.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for a beginner? I'm not sure. In the beginning all the classes take a little while to get off the ground. What I can comment on is more endgame related builds.

Sword and Board DK tanks (stam)
    Pyromage DK (mag)
    Siphoning Nightblade (mag)
    Dual wield/bow/2h nightblade (stam)

Those are the big damage dealers. Could use some more information too

Do you plan to be dps, tank or heals?
    Do you prefer melee or range? etc.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • jaibierwb17_ESO
    jaibierwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've played through with each class, and what I noticed after taking a NB to VR14, going back and levelling a sorc through the early levels was like putting the game into easy mode. The summoned pets really help. NBs are great, but they really come into their own in end game.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OhhPaigey wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm wondering now that the game has been out awhile, are there some builds people would recommend for a beginner? When I played beta, and early access I picked the Shadow Nightblade I believe. And I'd just put all my points into Stamina. Ideas? I think I was using daggers.

The problem I noticed with whatever build I was doing, is if it wasn't a single target fight, I would basically die right away lol.

Use the Path of Darkness (and morphs) and siphoning weapons and you stay alive far longer. Avoid Cloak, it doesn't work properly.

I found Heavy Armour worked for me, but others swear by Medium Armour, whichever works for you.

Dual wield works with any weapons and daggers while faster do less damage, consider twin axes or swords. At least until you unlock the last passive, at which point daggers become easily as viable as swords.

Invest in fighters guild passives, the one that boosts damage against Daedra and Undead is especially useful (given what most of the foes are) as is the one that extends it to Werewolves.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make sure that you have some skills that are useful for both focusing on a single target, and also dealing damage to several at once and you should be okay.

You don't have to keep them all active on your hot bar all the time, you can switch them as need be (as you know), or when you get the option to use a second weapon you can have one for a more single-target focus, with the other for dealing more Area of effect damage.

It only takes a little bit of forward planning, and a basic knowledge of your available skills and you will be on the right track. Good luck!
    Edited by Rev Rielle on January 26, 2015 1:43AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Dual wield works with any weapons and daggers while faster do less damage, consider twin axes or swords. At least until you unlock the last passive, at which point daggers become easily as viable as swords.
    All one-handed weapons have the same speed and base damage. The only differences are unlocked by the passive.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

All one-handed weapons have the same speed and base damage. The only differences are unlocked by the passive.

I seem to recall being told (around the launch) that daggers have 1.4X speed advantage (before you use the passive, which gives them an advantage to critical), but the fact they do less damage means they give less damage per second.

Maybe that was wrong, maybe that's changed, but that's what I was told.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on January 26, 2015 10:59AM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I seem to recall being told (around the launch) that daggers have 1.4X speed advantage (before you use the passive, which gives them an advantage to critical), but the fact they do less damage means they give less damage per second.

Look at one-handed weapons next time you're at a crafting station, they all do the same damage. This implies there's also no difference in speed. If there is, it certainly isn't as significant as 1.4x (even Skyrim had 1.3x, I suspect that's where the assumption of weapon type differences comes from).
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Look at one-handed weapons next time you're at a crafting station, they all do the same damage. This implies there's also no difference in speed. If there is, it certainly isn't as significant as 1.4x (even Skyrim had 1.3x, I suspect that's where the assumption of weapon type differences comes from).

Not quite, that's the flat damage rating per blow (just the weapon), it wouldn't take the speed into account.

You may be right about it being based on assumptions on skyrim, I can't recall more than they were saying you got a few more blows in, but they didn't penetrate armour, so you got less dps for daggers.

Not that this matters, as I originally said Daggers do less damage. And until you get the increase in the critical rating they are not viable, and after you get the extra critical they become as viable as other weapons (no more).
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule