Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Plus ... Probably Not Worth It

Aevric
Aevric
✭✭✭
Count on a lot of people NOT paying for ESO Plus subscription.
Why? If you do and eventually want to cancel your subscription and still play the game, NO DLC will be available to you. Zero. As per the new FAQ, you'll have to purchase it all, no matter if it was implemented the day after the switch to Tamriel Unlimited or many months/DLCs later.
Unless you plan on saving most (if not all) of your monthly allotment of Crowns, you'll be paying for DLC twice, if you ever decide to cancel Plus and continue to play.
The logical option seems to be to cancel your subscription before Tamriel Unlimited is launched and save your cash to just purchase DLC as it's introduced. The "incentive" of 10% additional xp/gold is laughable for the monthly cost.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well it depends on how expensive the DLC will be, right?

I also pay for the new content with my subscription fee, after all.

And I would love to see many people subscribe to the premium membership to maybe prevent P2W. If that won't work I couldn't care less about the game anyway.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • wiz12268b14_ESO
    wiz12268b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Or dont buy all the DLCs. People will more than likely buy them all at first (and not sub) thinking its saving them money, which it probably will (over a continuous sub fee). But the cheapest otion will be to stay unsubbed for 3 or 4 DLCs releases, then subscribe and play through that DLC content, then decide if you want to buy it or not. In most cases i suspect 'renting' it will be the best option. Even if it does scale. But that will also depend on the loot table the variety of possible quest options and replayability of each map/dungeon/zone.

Thats why some will be 'worth' buying and others wont. So it will be a dance, maybe subscribe twice a year get all the DLC released that year and then figure out which ones you might want to won (so you can play them while youre not subbed).

Players still have all the power, there arent really any tricks here. You can spend 15 bucks and rent all the DLCs there are, or you can buy them piecemeal and own them all forever (but that will most definitely be the most expensive option long term)
  • Aevric
    Aevric
    ✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

And I would love to see many people subscribe to the premium membership to maybe prevent P2W. If that won't work I couldn't care less about the game anyway.

The thing is, your subscription does NOT pay for any DLC, you're essentially "renting" it. If you cancel your monthly Plus and still want to play the game, no DLC will be available to you.
    Straight from the new FAQ: "You will lose access to the DLC areas and quests should your membership lapse (unless you purchase the DLC separately in the Crown Store), but you will keep all items and rewards earned through the content."
    Edited by Aevric on January 22, 2015 2:33AM
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If DLC comes out each month and costs more then $15 it will be a better deal lol
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aevric wrote: »
    ToRelax wrote: »

The thing is, your subscription does NOT pay for any DLC, you're essentially "renting" it. If you cancel your monthly Plus and still want to play the game, no DLC will be available to you.
    Straight from the new FAQ: "You will lose access to the DLC areas and quests should your membership lapse (unless you purchase the DLC separately in the Crown Store), but you will keep all items and rewards earned through the content."

True, however I didn't mind paying that monthly fee since launch and if I ever should it will be time to leave the game anyway.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope with these dlc's that none of them include raising the level cap.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotSo wrote: »
    I really hope with these dlc's that none of them include raising the level cap.

Level cap $29.99 for the content or 10000 crowns..
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... are subscription duration bonuses going to go away? Like the 6 month pet?
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DLC will be $20-$35.

That's already been established by other games on this model. Thinking they'd go any lower on pricing is silly.
  • Aren_Liore
    Aren_Liore
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the DLC costs no more than 1,500 Crowns/month I'm fine. I'll just keep my sub and buy the DLC with my "free" Crowns and get tons of extras. If it costs more, I might have to find some other game to waste my free time.
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren_Liore wrote: »
    I'll just keep my sub and buy the DLC with my "free" Crowns and get tons of extras.

If you're keeping your sub then the expanion-type DLC (Wrothgar zone, etc) will be free anyway. Only DLC you'd still need to buy would be mounts, pets, costumes, etc.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • redcloud1187_ESO
    Probably not worth it for ps4 if we need PS plus to even play it and having to pay even more a month to get the DLC for free
  • Aevric
    Aevric
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just keep my sub and buy the DLC with my "free" Crowns and get tons of extras.

If you're keeping your sub then the expanion-type DLC (Wrothgar zone, etc) will be free anyway. Only DLC you'd still need to buy would be mounts, pets, costumes, etc.

Not entirely true. Your subscription "rents" the DLC. If you cancel your subscription and still want to play the game, you'll have zero DLC, and will have to buy it to access it.
  • Aevric
    Aevric
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the DLC costs no more than 1,500 Crowns/month I'm fine. I'll just keep my sub and buy the DLC with my "free" Crowns and get tons of extras. If it costs more, I might have to find some other game to waste my free time.

This is my thinking as well. That way I can save the Crowns to buy the DLC if I eventually decide to drop the subscription but still want to play.
    If the monthly allotment of Crowns doesn't cover all of the DLC plus the occasional mount/outfit/etc., it's not worth paying for any subscription time.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why? If you do and eventually want to cancel your subscription and still play the game, NO DLC will be available to you. Zero. As per the new FAQ, you'll have to purchase it all, no matter if it was implemented the day after the switch to Tamriel Unlimited or many months/DLCs later.
    Unless you plan on saving most (if not all) of your monthly allotment of Crowns, you'll be paying for DLC twice, if you ever decide to cancel Plus and continue to play.
    The logical option seems to be to cancel your subscription before Tamriel Unlimited is launched and save your cash to just purchase DLC as it's introduced. The "incentive" of 10% additional xp/gold is laughable for the monthly cost.

if the DLC can be bought with crowns the sub pays for your unsub by giving you free crowns along with your buff save up and buy DLC :)
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »
    DLC will be $20-$35.

That's already been established by other games on this model. Thinking they'd go any lower on pricing is silly.

seems abit much for a map maybe the size of craglorn 10$ seems bout right
  • Aevric
    Aevric
    ✭✭✭

if the DLC can be bought with crowns the sub pays for your unsub by giving you free crowns along with your buff save up and buy DLC :)

True, but if you ever plan on dropping the Plus subscription but keep playing the game, you may end up paying a lot less by simply not subscribing at all to Plus and buying DLC as it comes out.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aye, I have been happily subbing (3 month sub) up til now, but I am not sure what the best option is for me any more - thinking I may just ditch the sub and buy DLC because that seems to be the option that adds it to your account permanently - getting it via sub seems like renting - and I could have had the DLC through 12 months paying more than buying it via Crowns/the store etc. but lose it as soon as I drop the sub, which seems massively unfair and makes the Plus account seem overpriced.

Not sure what to do about the fact I play on both servers though, that is a real p***er and I feel I have been horribly let down in that regard :(
    Edited by Epona222 on January 22, 2015 6:27AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It totally depends on how much the 1500 crown stipend actually gets you. Frankly, it sounds like a lot. Usually the conversion from real to ingame currency is designed to be easily understandable, and my guess is 100 crowns for $1. This would mean you get $15 worth of crowns with your $15/month subscription. At that point, there is virtually no reason not to subscribe. Which would be a really interesting move on their part.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will keep paying a subscription fee simply because I want to keep supporting the development of ESO. Technically, not a lot will change for me.
  • folklore
    folklore
    ✭✭
    Can't tell until it's already set in stone, man. Judging something before you see prices isn't even fair to compare. :P
    DERPCHU@TWITCH
    POCKY | SORCERER | VR5 | ALDMERI
    FOLKLORE | NIGHTBLADE | VR5 | EBONHEART
    COOKIE | TEMPLAR | ?? | EBONHEART
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Might just be me, but I don't quite understand the problem. In the current sub based model, if your sub end, you lose access to all content until you resub.

With the B2P model they are going with if your sub runs out you lose all content except the base game

It's virtually identical except you can still keep playing some stuff in the new model.

Personally, I hope that it works more like GW2 where as long as you log in when the content is launched you have it and can go back to it at anytime. If not, keep paying sub and pretend nothing changed except they added a cash shop which you're given currency for each month.

The major difference will be the huge change in player base.
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the ratio of how costly DLC is (in crowns) and the amount of crowns you get thanks to being a subscriber.

If your crown income thanks to being a subber does not cover the cost of the DLC's as they come out, AND your rl cash 'income' (thanks to not being a sub) is enough to cover the cost of the DLC's as they come out(this is not a given) then it may be a good idea to play free and pay for DLC in cash.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 30, 90, and 180 day subs will get 1500, 4500 and 9000 crowns per sub cycle. I would guess (from how other companies do it) each DLC would cost more then 4500 (probably 5900 or more), to prevent people from paying for a 3 month sub then using the crowns from the sub to pay for the DLC when the sub ran out.
  • Aevric
    Aevric
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Depends on the ratio of how costly DLC is (in crowns) and the amount of crowns you get thanks to being a subscriber.

If your crown income thanks to being a subber does not cover the cost of the DLC's as they come out, AND your rl cash 'income' (thanks to not being a sub) is enough to cover the cost of the DLC's as they come out(this is not a given) then it may be a good idea to play free and pay for DLC in cash.

I agree.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see if the subscription allowance of Crowns is more than enough to cover all of the DLC zones/dungeons/etc.
    I'll keep my subscription going until we see how that turns out. If the Crown allowance won't cover the DLC plus an occasional outfit/mount/whatever, I'll cancel the subscription and just buy things as needed.
  • Relyk04
    Relyk04
    ✭✭✭
    Subbed players gain access to DLC automatically without spending crowns or additional cash, while non subbed players can pay for the DLC via cash or crowns. That is my understanding anyway.
  • HippieTheGreat
    HippieTheGreat
    ✭✭✭
    To me paying the sub now depends on the content release schedule. They had a 4-6 week window for a long time, and ya they ran over a few times before Update 6 here, but it wasn't by a lot.

Now, since update 6 is the console release version, this means we probably aren't going to get anything until after June. If they can get back on the 4-6 week schedule I'll sub. Until then, probably not.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relyk04 wrote: »
    Subbed players gain access to DLC automatically without spending crowns or additional cash, while non subbed players can pay for the DLC via cash or crowns. That is my understanding anyway.

You got it right. The debate here is about what happens if you stop subbing.

If you put your money into a sub, and then cancel it, you lose access to all DLC.
    If you instead put your money into buying DLC packs (and not sub), then you never lose any DLC access.

The question is, which one is more useful for you.
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me paying the sub now depends on the content release schedule. They had a 4-6 week window for a long time, and ya they ran over a few times before Update 6 here, but it wasn't by a lot.

Now, since update 6 is the console release version, this means we probably aren't going to get anything until after June. If they can get back on the 4-6 week schedule I'll sub. Until then, probably not.

There's a lot of stuff I'm looking at, and I haven't seen confirmation that 1.6 is all that Tamriel Unlimited will be. I'm actually hoping we get 1.7 with the rest of the Justice system and the Imperial City when we do the transition to TU. Can you point me to confirmation on that please?
    I ride in a zerg ball of one.
  • daktary2001
    daktary2001
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look ! An opinion based on extrapolation ! Aaaaand it's gone ...